19.8%... | Syracusefan.com

19.8%...

Lawrinson14

Master Image Editor
I knew SU was bad at 3pt shooting, but 19.8 percent (18/91) as a team is absolutely horrid.

This is like 3rd and 4th grade recreation basketball-level shooting.

Can someone dig up the team 3P% over the last several seasons? I'd imagine it's not lower than 30% for any season?

And as someone who coaches 15-17 year olds, I cringe every time they shoot a 3.

This is a very concentrated effort. We are only going to shoot 32% on the season but we are saving all the makes up for the important big games and the NCAAT. I expect JB will ration out 3-4 makes tonight.

I believe this the lowest percentage we have ever shot since the 3Pt was introduced in 1986.

13-14: 33%
12-13: 33%
11-12: 35%
10-11: 35%
09-10: 39%
08-09: 34%
07-08: 34%
06-07: 36%
05-06: 34%
04-05: 31%
03-04: 33%
02-03: 34%
01-02: 33%

That's as far back as ESPN goes.
Awesome.- thanks for that Lawrinson. 09-10 was an awesome year shooting 39% with Rautins, Wes, Triche, Scoop

I knew SU was bad at 3pt shooting, but 19.8 percent (18/91) as a team is absolutely horrid.

This is like 3rd and 4th grade recreation basketball-level shooting.

Good grief, man. You are overreacting... come on. All it takes is going 14 for 14 tonight and we will find ourselves right at the 30% mark. Talk about some people losing perspective. Sheesh.

Awesome.- thanks for that Lawrinson. 09-10 was an awesome year shooting 39% with Rautins, Wes, Triche, Scoop

I think that having 2 legit deep threats probably boosted Scoop and Brandon's numbers but it also gave AO/Rick room to operate inside and allowed guys like Kris to slash to the basket. That team was very balanced offensively although every one of those guys had offensive limitations. It doesn't happen like that a lot in college its more common to have 1 or 2 pro's that can score when you need it than 7 good college players.

Yes I know Wes is in the league and that Kris, Andy and AO have bounced around camps, teams and D-league.

This is the night we break out and shoot for 50% from the arc. We will make 8 threes tonight and win by 7.

And yet, we're not doing too bad in the points per game statistic.

Agreed. If the team could just get that number closer to 30%, then I think they will be a force to be reckoned with.

Can someone dig up the team 3P% over the last several seasons? I'd imagine it's not lower than 30% for any season?
if you throw out the outliers (this year for low, 2010 for high), its been pretty consistent - the team shoots around 34% in an average year.

I think this year will regress toward that mean, but won't reach it because the hole is pretty deep; I predict the final percentage will land between 26 and 31

what's this even supposed to mean?
It means our program overemphasizes fit for the zone over basic fundamentals like shooting. This has been an on going theme the last 5 years or so and has resulted in some pretty eye gouging offensive numbers.

It means our program overemphasizes fit for the zone over basic fundamentals like shooting. This has been an on going theme the last 5 years or so and has resulted in some pretty eye gouging offensive numbers.

But it has also managed to produce the best winning percentage in any 5 year period as well correct?

except that Cooney was recruited specifically to be a thee point threat and there were concerns that he would not be athletic enough at the top of the zone (best laid plans . . .)

BJ was also recruited for his shooting, as were Mookie Jones and James Southerland before him.

if you throw out the outliers (this year for low, 2010 for high), its been pretty consistent - the team shoots around 34% in an average year.

I think this year will regress toward that mean, but won't reach it because the hole is pretty deep; I predict the final percentage will land between 26 and 31

If anyone is curious

2015: 19.8%
2014: 33.1%
2013: 33.5%
2012: 34.9%
2011: 35.4%
2010: 39.1% (!)
2009: 34.9%
2008: 34.1%
2007: 36.5%
2006: 33.9%
2005: 31.2%
2004: 32.7%%
2003: 34.4%
2002: 33.3%

That's all Ken Pom has. In 8 of the 13 years (not counting this year), our 3 point% has been 33 something or 34 something. Plus a 35 and a 32%. Even the worst year was 31.2%. (maybe a good comp for this year? with Trevor playing the role of Gerry as the only consistent deep threat? Plus they're both white.)

except that Cooney was recruited specifically to be a thee point threat and there were concerns that he would not be athletic enough at the top of the zone (best laid plans . . .)

BJ was also recruited for his shooting, as were Mookie Jones and James Southerland before him.

We have recruited shooters but also they are guys that fit our defensive system. Even Cooney is good sized and has good athletic ability for a 2G. Pretty much all the wing type shooters we have recruited of late where guys that needed to develop. Mookie didn't other than his shooting and thus didn't play. James did and played a major roll as his career wound down. BJ is developing. Andy took quite a while and was relentlessly bashed here and often called a wasted scholarship.

But its not like any bball powerhouse is recruiting guys based purely on the ability to shoot well. Even Duke has recruited bigger, more athletic, well rounded guys to man the shooting roll.