1992 Miami at Syracuse Video | Syracusefan.com

1992 Miami at Syracuse Video

cuse309

Ace recruiting beat reporter
Thanks to Gocuse96 for pointing this video out. Finally on youtube.
Oddly enough, despite losing, this is a game just burned into my memory. I was there as a 14 year old. The dome had never been that loud before, or since then.
For those of you too young to remember the game, or the era...this is the atmosphere Dino will be bringing back.
1992 Miami,Fl vs Syracuse - YouTube

As a side not, it looks funny to see the field with numbers painted every 5 yards.

Great game. Just ran out of time and fell a little short. It was like the football version of Rocky vs. Apollo I.

7:08 into that YouTube clip- the Conley pick at the goal line- I've said it elsewhere but that was the loudest I have EVER heard the Dome.

I was 13 and that d@mn game broke my heart...was thrilled to see Alabama run all over the Canes in the Sugar Bowl that year.

Oddly enough, despite losing, this is a game just burned into my memory. I was there as a 14 year old. The dome had never been that loud before, or since then.
For those of you too young to remember the game, or the era...this is the atmosphere Dino will be bringing back.
Thanks man, now all I will need to see to make my SU football life complete is the video of the '84 Nebraska upset for the first time, and another game of these two's magnitude in the dome before I die.

Last edited:
my son is still waiting for a game where it really goes crazy in "WHOSE house" . sad to think a 20 yr old hasnt really had a great experience that he remembers.

I dont know as I remember another game where we came out in the 2nd half and dominated at team that was as good as that Miami team. like a switch was flipped

Absolutely, it was the most exciting Syracuse football game I have ever watched. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. Miami was basically an NFL team. I remember feeling so confident they were going to pull out the win that when they didn't it was like an out of body experience. I was in such a state of denial that it took a while for me to snap back. I was 14 as well and watching Gedney and Marvin lay on the turf has been forever seared into my psyche too.

I dont know as I remember another game where we came out in the 2nd half and dominated at team that was as good as that Miami team. like a switch was flipped

Ironically, Miami did the same thing back to us in 1994. First half, we shut them down, but couldn't capitalize on scoring chances. Second half, they just figured out how to run the ball and outscored us 27-0.

The opponent wasn't as good, but a big switch was flipped for Oklahoma in 1994. First half was a disaster, it was as if the uniform of the opponent was more powerful than the personnel. Second half was all SU, except for the very end, which was also a disaster.

Great game. Fun game. The dome was rocking.
Those adjectives are not adequate. There have been many great games where the dome was rocking, but that title fight was an event that unified the entire town, sports fans and non-sports fans - everyone rallied to show their support. The BC road win set the stage for "Miami week" - and never before or since was the entire town buzzing for a whole week leading up to the game. Nov 21 was circled on the calendar not just by SU but was hyped as a nationally significant game by the media before the season started. It was the game that would put the newly formed Big East conference on the map. Miami survived 3 scares and SU escaped Morgantown to set the stage.

Last but not least, we had Musberger announcing on a nationally televised ABC broadcast which did not mute the crowd noise like other networks. Except for the final outcome, the flow of the game could not have been scripted any better unless Sorkin was writing it himself. As someone earlier alluded, it was the classic Rocky-Apollo/Drago heavyweight bout where the underdog is intimidated but then realizes that if you punch back they can bleed.

Some argue WVU 87 was better for select reasons, but Miami 92 was the bigger, more advertised stage with a far more deserving villain.

Two games I had not been able to watch again was Tennesee '98 and Miami 92. I finally broke down and watched Tennesee a couple of months ago. Still made me mad...However, the Miami game was the most heartbreaking game I ever attended and watched. I left the Dome with tears in my eyes...I agree that the Conley interception was the loudest I had ever heard the dome including the Opening Night but I missed the 87 season due to military deployment. I cant wait until the Dome is really rockin again...

My senior year... what a disappointing game. That night might have been one of the most out-of-control postgames around campus that I can remember. Everybody cried into their 15 beers that night.

Miami game was the most heartbreaking game I ever attended and watched. I left the Dome with tears in my eyes...
the game/outcome felt like the Kennedy assassination in a "remember where you were" sort of way.

Just re-watched it. We ran 63 plays on offense. My how times have changed.
I just got mad all over again watching this. We were at the 50 on the final drive, with less than 1:30, clock ticking, no timeouts, and we were just casually walking to the l.o.s., with absolutely no sense of urgency. It continued through that drive. If we could have hustled, and saved 20-25 seconds, for a few more shots from the 3, we probably win.

Thos

e adjectives are not adequate. There have been many great games where the dome was rocking, but that title fight was an event that unified the entire town, sports fans and non-sports fans - everyone rallied to show their support. The BC road win set the stage for "Miami week" - and never before or since was the entire town buzzing for a whole week leading up to the game. Nov 21 was circled on the calendar not just by SU but was hyped as a nationally significant game by the media before the season started. It was the game that would put the newly formed Big East conference on the map. Miami survived 3 scares and SU escaped Morgantown to set the stage.

Last but not least, we had Musberger announcing on a nationally televised ABC broadcast which did not mute the crowd noise like other networks. Except for the final outcome, the flow of the game could not have been scripted any better unless Sorkin was writing it himself. As someone earlier alluded, it was the classic Rocky-Apollo/Drago heavyweight bout where the underdog is intimidated but then realizes that if you punch back they can bleed.

Some argue WVU 87 was better for select reasons, but Miami 92 was the bigger, more advertised stage with a far more deserving villain.

That BC win was huge. We got lucky playing BC after them getting smoked by ND 54-7. That BC team was very very good.

I just got mad all over again watching this. We were at the 50 on the final drive, with less than 1:30, clock ticking, no timeouts, and we were just casually walking to the l.o.s., with absolutely no sense of urgency. It continued through that drive. If we could have hustled, and saved 20-25 seconds, for a few more shots from the 3, we probably win.
The litany of missed opportunities in this game extends back to the 1st quarter. Following Conley's 2nd INT, Piccuci's personal foul turned a chip shot FG into a 50/50 which we didn't convert. Rewind the tape - that ball was kicked high but perfectly aligned with the goalpost. Had the goalposts been higher, it might have deflected left or right. Either way, video review is inconclusive. And let's not forget how the 2nd-to-last drive of the game ended. The offense was moving at will inside the Miami 20. Gedney was wide open in the end zone and Graves was in his throwing motion. At the last second he gets hit and the ball is deflected and intercepted. If the ball just bounces on the turf there's another chip shot FG. Obviously Miami caught a few bad breaks as well, but we could've easily been looking at a 16-16 tie going into our last drive and we'd be setting up for the game winning kick by Biskup. The Marley INT was the turning point in the 4th quarter where I went from thinking we were in the driver's seat to uh-oh.

The litany of missed opportunities in this game extends back to the 1st quarter. Following Conley's 2nd INT, Piccuci's personal foul turned a chip shot FG into a 50/50 which we didn't convert. Rewind the tape - that ball was kicked high but perfectly aligned with the goalpost. Had the goalposts been higher, it might have deflected left or right. Either way, video review is inconclusive. And let's not forget how the 2nd-to-last drive of the game ended. The offense was moving at will inside the Miami 20. Gedney was wide open in the end zone and Graves was in his throwing motion. At the last second he gets hit and the ball is deflected and intercepted. If the ball just bounces on the turf there's another chip shot FG. Obviously Miami caught a few bad breaks as well, but we could've easily been looking at a 16-16 tie going into our last drive and we'd be setting up for the game winning kick by Biskup. The Marley INT was the turning point in the 4th quarter where I went from thinking we were in the driver's seat to uh-oh.

If memory serves, they were showing Miami coming off the plane in Army fatigues with the majority of them having never seen snow. They were so loose, throwing snowballs and smiling. You knew they were overconfident and we hit them in the mouth that day. We just came up 5 yds. short.

For us Syracuse alums and our remembrance it is like 2001 or Kennedy or (in my case) Pearl Harbor. I was there (a young 61) with my wife one, of my daughters and one of my sons and his wife. We couldn't get tickets together so my wife and daughter sat in one location, the son and his wife in another and I in a third right above the Miami cheerleaders. My daughter in Atlanta was watching the game and suddenly said "there's dad" as they zoomed in on the cheer leaders. Great day, great memories and , hopefully, last Saturday was a sign of MORE memorable days to come.

After the game some of the Miami players claimed the Dome wasn't all that loud. Right.

Plus when we got down to the 1 we had to burn a timeout trying to get our goalline package on the field. We scored on the next play, but we could've used another timeout late in the game.

This game is the precise moment when I started taking Syracuse sports extremely seriously. I had just turned 10 years old. There was just something about Miami that seemed so larger-than-life and intimidating. The Dome was unreal that day.

Go to the 7:56 mark of this video, and watch the SU bench's reaction from Dan Conley thundering towards them after his pick.