1st Post. 1st game at the dome. | Syracusefan.com

1st Post. 1st game at the dome.

Shafty43

Walk On
Hey everyone. I have been reading this site for three years. First post today. Sorry if what I’m asking if being done in the wrong place or wrong time. I’m hoping for some advice and recs.

This weekend, my wife and I, as well as my parents are flying out for the Clemson game. It will be my first game at the dome.

For the past two years I have been a grad student at Syracuse, but have only been on campus during the summer. (Two months total). Stayed in Kimmel so know campus area well enough. But I have no idea what it’s like during the school year/game day.

I basically spent a lot of time at Faegans, Funkin Waffle, and went to the German beer hall off campus once or twice.

We are staying on campus at the Sheraton with no car. Is Faegans swamped on game days? Any other walkable spots to hit up pre-post game? What are we in for?

Any recs or advice you would offer someone attending their first hoops game at the dome would be helpful.

Thanks!

Go Orange!

yes Faegan's should be packed, just like everywhere around M Street, but go a little early and you should be OK

FnW on campus is gone but I've heard Danzer's (near campus and a short UBER ride away) is back

when you leve the Dome, make sure to go thru a real door, not a revolving one

also...

i like to walk down to phoebes and chill til the traffic clears.

Ha! whenever I read discussions on here, I always dig your profile pic. It’s actually the name of my food truck I’m launching this spring. Got only about 50 shows. Did catch the Cuse show two summers ago while I was there for school.

We get in Friday. So can easily walk over early. Just kind off want to at least grab a drink there. So is the scene on campus just nuts on game day?
yes Faegan's should be packed, just like everywhere around M Street, but go a little early and you should be OK

FnW on campus is gone but I've heard Danzer's (near campus and a short UBER ride away) is back

when you leve the Dome, make sure to go thru a real door, not a revolving one

also...

Ha! whenever I read discussions on here, I always dig your profile pic. It’s actually the name of my food truck I’m launching this spring. Got only about 50 shows. Did catch the Cuse show two summers ago while I was there for school.

We get in Friday. So can easily walk over early. Just kind off want to at least grab a drink there. So is the scene on campus just nuts on game day?
Considering there are only three bars left (Orange Crate, Faegan's and Harry's) not counting the bar at the Sheraton, those places get crowded. Well at least the first two. I can't speak for Harry's. Like TBone said, you could walk down to Phoebe's for nice meal and there is another bar/pub across the street from there. Lots of choices at Armory Square, just a short Uber ride away, including Shaughnessey's the new sports bar at the Marriott where JAB has his radio show.

Agree w/ cliftonpark - there are nicer bars/restaurants downtown in Armory - a 5-10 minute uber/cab ride away. Blue Tusk, Empire, Shaughnessey's, Kitty Hoynes, Pastabilities, Dinosaur BBQ, etc. will all be good scenes - if you want a table for a meal, just go early. If you finish up with time to kill, you can't go wrong getting to the Dome 30 minutes early for a drink or two and walk around the Dome for some sight seeing - check out the trophies and banners all over the place and soak in the environment.

Agree w/ cliftonpark - there are nicer bars/restaurants downtown in Armory - a 5-10 minute uber/cab ride away. Blue Tusk, Empire, Shaughnessey's etc. will all be good scenes - if you want a table for a meal, just go early. If you finish up with time to kill, you can't go wrong getting to the Dome 30 minutes early for a drink or two and walk around the Dome for some sight seeing - check out the trophies and banners all over the place and soak in the environment.
Don't forget Kitty Hoynes. Always a great choice in Armory Square.
Since the Clemson's game will be over at 4 pm, a lot of people will be eating/drinking afterwards. You might want to pick a place you want to eat dinner and make reservations, whether it is in Armory Square or some place else. Then you don't need to scramble trying to find a place. Plus on Saturday nights a lot of restaurants are crowded anyways.

Thanks guys. Def familiar with armory as well, but it’s good advice to head that way. When I was there Uber and Lyft weren’t around. That changes things for sure. Was just curious as to the vibe and what to expect.

Really hoping they can pull this BC game out. This team is so frustrating to watch. I do think last years team was MORE frustrating however. At least these guys have played hard and with a sense of urgency.

50ish is solid territory, big ups!

honestly, its been decades since I was a regular at games and the past several years have only been 1 or 2 a season when I'm up there and always with the kid so we don't do the M street scene either before or after so I cant help you much there. didn't even know it is down to 3 bars (does Shaeen still own Harrys?)

everything in the Cuse is only a few mins away so Uber will be your friend. don't plan on Dino before or right after the game. wait time will be forever. maybe do that Fri. lots of good places to hang in close prox in Armory, a few really good food spots too.

quality idea to get to the dome a little early too. there is some cool stuff to see and hopefully it will all be different soon. also, if you want any of the schwag from behind where the curtain used to be, some of the lines can get long.

also gives you time to make sure to get a picture with Otto

let us know about the food truck launch. I'm sure you will get some orange tinged patrons.

50ish is solid territory, big ups!

honestly, its been decades since I was a regular at games and the past several years have only been 1 or 2 a season when I'm up there and always with the kid so we don't do the M street scene either before or after so I cant help you much there. didn't even know it is down to 3 bars (does Shaeen still own Harrys?)

everything in the Cuse is only a few mins away so Uber will be your friend. don't plan on Dino before or right after the game. wait time will be forever. maybe do that Fri. lots of good places to hang in close prox in Armory, a few really good food spots too.

quality idea to get to the dome a little early too. there is some cool stuff to see and hopefully it will all be different soon. also, if you want any of the schwag from behind where the curtain used to be, some of the lines can get long.

also gives you time to make sure to get a picture with Otto

let us know about the food truck launch. I'm sure you will get some orange tinged patrons.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by “behind where the curtain used to be”?

I live in CO and that’s where the truck is launching. There is some orange around here, but not the type I prefer. Think we will hit Dino on Friday night. Good advice for sure. Prob hit armory Saturday after the game.

Thanks everyone. Been super helpful.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by “behind where the curtain used to be”?

I live in CO and that’s where the truck is launching. There is some orange around here, but not the type I prefer. Think we will hit Dino on Friday night. Good advice for sure. Prob hit armory Saturday after the game.

Thanks everyone. Been super helpful.

behind the movable stands, where you can shoot baskets for charity & tshirts and other stuff usually going on. you'll see.

FnW downtown is a few blocks from Armory and you can walk over there for some tunes if you want.

have fun and GL with the truck. what's the theme/menu?

behind the movable stands, where you can shoot baskets for charity & tshirts and other stuff usually going on. you'll see.

FnW downtown is a few blocks from Armory and you can walk over there for some tunes if you want.

have fun and GL with the truck. what's the theme/menu?

Ah. That makes sense. Our seats are on the removable bleachers.

Shafty’s Gourmet Doner Kebab. Doner Kebab is a Turkish/German sandwich similar to gyro with a thicker, crispier bread than pita, more spicy and garlicky. It’s usually a cheap street food with a lot of chemicals/additives (but unbelievably delicious). Ours are handmade. All natural and some interesting flare that gets the same flavors but cuts out the crap. Whole protein meat instead of pressed processed stuff and cooks on a gyro spit.

If you like whiskey Al's is the best bar downtown if you get in early before the youngsters move in (unless you are a youngster ha). The Sheraton bar pre-game is IMHO better than Fagans as it is usually less crowded and a tad older so you have less people standing in the way not moving and therefore holding up all movement.

This Saturday will be my 3 year old son's first trip to the Dome, as well. I'm very excited to share this with him.

If he gets antsy and makes us leave at halftime, I'm going to do what any responsible parent would... reimburse myself the cost of the tickets using money from his college savings plan.

If you like whiskey Al's is the best bar downtown if you get in early before the youngsters move in (unless you are a youngster ha). The Sheraton bar pre-game is IMHO better than Fagans as it is usually less crowded and a tad older so you have less people standing in the way not moving and therefore holding up all movement.

Wow. You’re not kidding. Looked that up online. Quite a spirit selection (even absinthe/mezcals) that would stack up anywhere. Rock Hill Farms (the special barrels at Buffalo Trace) is a GREAT smaller batch KY bourbon hard to find. I wonder what they charge for Pappy 23 (all the Pappy is overrated though, IMO), ha. I’ll have to check it out next time I’m in town. Hopefully that place lasts.

This Saturday will be my 3 year old son's first trip to the Dome, as well. I'm very excited to share this with him.

If he gets antsy and makes us leave at halftime, I'm going to do what any responsible parent would... reimburse myself the cost of the tickets using money from his college savings plan.
Fair is fair
upload_2018-2-26_12-21-43.gif

Wow. You’re not kidding. Looked that up online. Quite a spirit selection (even absinthe/mezcals) that would stack up anywhere. Rock Hill Farms (the special barrels at Buffalo Trace) is a GREAT smaller batch KY bourbon hard to find. I wonder what they charge for Pappy 23 (all the Pappy is overrated though, IMO), ha. I’ll have to check it out next time I’m in town. Hopefully that place lasts.

It's usually really crowded there, at least the few times I have been. Not my kind of spot, but alas some friends liked to stop in.

It's not going anywhere

Hey everyone. I have been reading this site for three years. First post today. Sorry if what I’m asking if being done in the wrong place or wrong time. I’m hoping for some advice and recs.

This weekend, my wife and I, as well as my parents are flying out for the Clemson game. It will be my first game at the dome.

For the past two years I have been a grad student at Syracuse, but have only been on campus during the summer. (Two months total). Stayed in Kimmel so know campus area well enough. But I have no idea what it’s like during the school year/game day.

I basically spent a lot of time at Faegans, Funkin Waffle, and went to the German beer hall off campus once or twice.

We are staying on campus at the Sheraton with no car. Is Faegans swamped on game days? Any other walkable spots to hit up pre-post game? What are we in for?

Any recs or advice you would offer someone attending their first hoops game at the dome would be helpful.

Thanks!

Go Orange!

Sounds like you haven't gotten out to see Syracuse much. You really should, its a fantastic city! And you don't need a car. Its maybe a mile walk from the Sheraton to Armory Square, or you can Uber it for a couple bucks. If the weather is nice check out the Creek Walk too!

Some tips ... Syracuse’s Armory Square: Urban Done Right

Bring some matchbox cars.

My pregame used to be: 1. Chuck’s for a few beers. 2. Varsity for a few slices(and maybe a few more beers).

Unfortunately Chuck’s is closed now and it’s not the same without it. Faegen’s was
too crowded, so we didn’t last long there this year. Went over to the Sheraton instead. Still went to Varsity though! One thing about that place is the line is always long, but it also moves very quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom