1st time ever... | Syracusefan.com

1st time ever...

The mid-major recruiting strategy paying dividends...

Top 100 recruits have shown up and sucked last 2 years. We would be OK if we targetted guys who had less big offers and we thought was underrated.

How the do you whiff so badly on a HS teammate of Buddy Boeheim? The staff knew he was going to suck last year most likely and that the early offer was a mistake but he got a Syracuse offer early that boosted the programs recruiting rankings and there was no turning back. People would have revolted if we pulled Goodine's offer for an under the radar guy but we might have another freshman guard that could play to go with JG3.

Top 100 recruits have shown up and sucked last 2 years. We would be OK if we targetted guys who had less big offers and we thought was underrated.

How the do you whiff so badly on a HS teammate of Buddy Boeheim? The staff knew he was going to suck last year most likely and that the early offer was a mistake but he got a Syracuse offer early that boosted the programs recruiting rankings and there was no turning back. People would have revolted if we pulled Goodine's offer for an under the radar guy but we might have another freshman guard that could play to go with JG3.

How about some semblance of a legitimate center with some beef and innate scoring skills/footwork??

Our MO is go for some highly touted tier 1 prospect that we can't land and plan B, C, D are third tier beanpole projects with very limited upside...

While most of our league compatriots (that aren't stacked with a tier 1 center) are all getting 2nd tier beefy guys with some skill and upside.

Virtually everyone bangs us around down low.

It's more than a bit maddening at this point.

To add insult to injury- I watched a little bit of UConn- USF yesterday. They showed a graphic that said UConn had 3 ESPN top 100 players for the first time ever...

What player are you talking about that was a high school teammate of Buddy? Your post is confusing, kind of like our recruiting strategy.

But Guerrier would've been top 20 if they rated Canadiens!

Top 5 if they rated Canadiens and he hadn’t sat out last semester.

How about some semblance of a legitimate center with some beef and innate scoring skills/footwork??

Our MO is go for some highly touted tier 1 prospect that we can't land and plan B, C, D are third tier beanpole projects with very limited upside...

While most of our league compatriots (that aren't stacked with a tier 1 center) are all getting 2nd tier beefy guys with some skill and upside.

Virtually everyone bangs us around down low.

It's more than a bit maddening at this point.

Agreed on our big recruiting strategy. I’m tired of seeing former bottom level Big East teams with better bigs than us. It’s ridiculous really.

That said, I do think Edwards is the one beanpole project that will pan out. Can’t remember the last one that did...maybe there isn’t one?

Baye!

Yeah. True. Kinda. Great backup/role player on teams who usually had 4 really good offensive players on the court.

I suspect that if he played 30 mpg on the Howard/Battle teams we’d remember him less fondly.

But yes, he was at least a useful role player on some really good teams.

To add insult to injury- I watched a little bit of UConn- USF yesterday. They showed a graphic that said UConn had 3 ESPN top 100 players for the first time ever...
There is no way that is true. First time with 3 top 100 kids. They had a class with Boone, Villanueva and Williams. All 3 of those guys were top 50 that is just off the top of my head

There is no way that is true. First time with 3 top 100 kids. They had a class with Boone, Villanueva and Williams. All 3 of those guys were top 50 that is just off the top of my head

That's what I thought as well. Maybe the significance is it was ESPN top 100 and not 2 4 7 etc?

So at least going back to 2007 it is accurate. I have to figure prior to that ( if there even was an ESPN top 100) they must have had to get 3 top 100 dudes.

Yeah. True. Kinda. Great backup/role player on teams who usually had 4 really good offensive players on the court.

I suspect that if he played 30 mpg on the Howard/Battle teams we’d remember him less fondly.

But yes, he was at least a useful role player on some really good teams.

Baye was our best center for extending the zone the last 15 years. He was so tall with a wide stance. And he could spin and recover as quick as any center we have ever had. He was a steal. Dolezaj would be 32% better if we had baye.

Last edited:
Baye was our best center for extending the zone the last 15 years. He was so tall with a wide stance. And he could spin and recover as quick as any center we have ever had. He was a steal. Dolezaj would be 32% better if we had baye.

Really good defender, I agree. Didn’t hurt us on offense with the guys we had out there with him. He was a great role player and fit for the teams he was on.

Really good defender, I agree. Didn’t hurt us on offense with the guys we had out there with him. He was a great role player and fit for the teams he was on.
I loved Baye. He was a beast as an upperclassman. The zone was beautiful back then. Even if they got past the first and second line of defense there was always help coming to demoralize the other team. The center‘s ability to anticipate and react quickly is so key. Maybe Jesse and JBA can bring it back.

I don't think espn has been ranking recruits that long, when compared to the more traditional recruiting services. In Disney's mold of self promotion they ignore that any rankings existed before they started doing them.

I think we were talking about this year. Let's not change the goal posts.

Aye aye captain. My point was open ended didn't realize I only meant it was this year...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom