2,000+ in Portal | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2,000+ in Portal

How long before they start doing a "portal pow wow" in Las Vegas, Orlando and Chicago, where say 2000 portalers are invited to try out, shoot, dunk, dribble in various contests, coaches all fly in along with NIL sponsors, the hot dogs are being auctioned off to the highest NIL contracts, where Adidas Nike & Reebok are there making deals, strippers are whispering in and licking portalers ears in high roller suites. How long before we get to that point?

If you’re taking up one of the last 4-5 roster spots and don’t play you can’t hang around at that school anymore. See us and the 3 big men we parted ways with.

Doesn’t seem an abundance of quality starting PGs available unfortunately.

So I was thinking: (which is dangerous when unsupervised)

-With the new rules we have a lot more 5 year players.
-We have the freedom to move from program to program without sitting out.
-We have relatively the same amount of incoming highschool seniors looking for D1 spots.

Will we end up with more supply than demand?
Will teams prefer experienced college players for depth over developing freshman who will likely go elsewhere?
Will the current system continue to devalue the contributions the majority of freshman?

Last edited:

-We have relatively the same amount of incoming highschool seniors looking for D1 spots.

Will teams prefer experienced college players for depth over developing freshman who will likely go elsewhere?
Will the current system continue to devalue the contributions of freshman a majority of freshman?
It'll ebb and flow. A talent inefficiency will be created that some intrepid head coach will exploit to great success, then a bunch will follow that.

Will the current system continue to devalue the contributions of freshman a majority of freshman?
I've been thinking along the same lines. I dont see how the yearly roster targets are freshman. Not building guys for 3 years, cant afford to have them develop on your bench until theyre ready to play for someone else, let someone else do that work.

I've been thinking along the same lines. I dont see how the yearly roster targets are freshman. Not building guys for 3 years, cant afford to have them develop on your bench until theyre ready to play for someone else, let someone else do that work.

It's easy to say let someone else do the work unless you are a destination. For portal players you have (1) some (may be most) looking for a bigger bag, (2) some are not happy at their current situation and want a change of scenery (3) may have been injured or red shirted and waiting for a chance to shine...if we are not going to be a throw NIL money around we need to position ourselves as a destination that can uncover hidden gems and maximize their output.

The Miami Heat is a team that is known to be able to do that. They take less known role players and get the most out of them, get them to produce and succeed and increase their market value and these guys will sign elsewhere with a much bigger contract that the Heat won't/can't match, and these players revert to their previous stats and never really peak again after leaving.

It's easy to say let someone else do the work unless you are a destination. For portal players you have (1) some (may be most) looking for a bigger bag, (2) some are not happy at their current situation and want a change of scenery (3) may have been injured or red shirted and waiting for a chance to shine...if we are not going to be a throw NIL money around we need to position ourselves as a destination that can uncover hidden gems and maximize their output.

The Miami Heat is a team that is known to be able to do that. They take less known role players and get the most out of them, get them to produce and succeed and increase their market value and these guys will sign elsewhere with a much bigger contract that the Heat won't/can't match, and these players revert to their previous stats and never really peak again after leaving.
Thats my point, the heat go after those guys but their equivalents aren't high school kids. Non elite high school kids are now the g league throw ish against the wall and see what sticks. There aren't enough roster spots or a JV team for a team with our resources to house these players. We can field a roster without the Robert Patterson and Peter Carey's of the world. There is almost no need for them unless you get very very lucky.

Yeah, so I assume it will get a LITTLE more back to normal.
This model is not sustainable, somehow it has to get back to somewhat normal or it will collapse.
I read where in 2022 there were over 1,000 guys who went in the football portal and never found a home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom