2-3 Zone | Syracusefan.com

2-3 Zone

Orangeman

All Conference
Anyone disagree that it's the absolute worst defense to play against a team which has only one scorer?

That person can roam free and get open shots if they can rotate the zone such that you're guarding and hedging two of our guys against the one they don't care if you guard, while their star runs around and finds spots?

It is imperative, for future tournament performance...we need to be able to play more than one defense.

Also, man-man can provide juice to players who aren't in the flow.

Anyone disagree that it's the absolute worst defense to play against a team which has only one scorer?

That person can roam free and get open shots if they can rotate the zone such that you're guarding and hedging two of our guys against the one they don't care if you guard, while their star runs around and finds spots?

It is imperative, for future tournament performance...we need to be able to play more than one defense.

Was thinking maybe we should go to a box and one and make the rest of the time beat us. Don't think anyone has the balls to ask JB this in his press conference.

Uh-oh...you brought up the zone!

How many wins do you have bro???!??!!!

Okay, I kid. Our defense was great early, we just couldn't build a lead because we can't score. Period.

That being said, I just had a nice conversation with a buddy about this. Against someone like Otto, man is a better choice on paper because you can have someone face guard him the entire game. Hell, you can even play a box and one and just keep someone on Otto's jock (if you know what I mean).

That being said, they put together some great possessions during that 3 minute stretch where they pulled away. Just like Uconn, we let them control tempo with their pace. Dribble up top, pass foul line, back up top, 30 seconds later either get a good look, or miss and have a good chance at the board. It happens so much, you can actually anticipate it happening.

Early on we were running, pushing tempo. Somewhere along the game we let go of that.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say you will probably see the 2-3 for the rest of Boeheim's career at Syracuse.

Truthfully, debating this is like debating whether or not we should breathe air. It's what it is.

Now if the Box-and-1 can help us score more points, well then let's talk...

The defense itself wasn't a problem.

The problem, as it related to Porter, were players too undisciplined to stay with him or shade where he was. The zone should communicate where he is.

And, I think you can find an example in the game where every single person on the team lost track of him.

The zone was a huge problem today.

Georgetown's zone, that is.

Defense was not bad, but D rebounding was not good and shot selection when we were up 12-4 just sucked for like 10 straight possesions.

Defense was not bad, but D rebounding was not good and shot selection when we were up 12-4 just sucked for like 10 straight possesions.

I think this is the difference b/w good Christmas and bad Christmas.

He was the story of 2 halves. He had a great 1st half defensively and then after that missed alley-oop, just went downhill hard.

Uggh. Up 12-4. Gtown just handing us opportunities to stretch the lead, and we decided to jack threes.

Box and 1 on Porter maybe? Anyone think of that?

Bad rebounding. Great GTown defense. No shots falling for us. The zone was not the problem IMO.

Would have been nice to see a box or diamond and one on Porter even if for a few possessions. I cant think of one possession this year defensively we didnt play zone on.

Would have been nice to see a box or diamond and one on Porter even if for a few possessions. I cant think of one possession this year defensively we didnt play zone on.

And then we get real crafty and throw the zone on opponents, which rarely works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We allowed 56 points. We average about 75ppg offensively. The D had its' lapses at times, but it wasn't the problem.

were talking boeheim here...get real

We allowed 56 points. We average about 75ppg offensively. The D had its' lapses at times, but it wasn't the problem.

I don't think those stats are comparable in a game when two teams take 30 to shoot most trips.

Watching the game...their guy played pretty good...BUT, he wasn't zagging through a defense hounding him all over the court

He made some jumpers, many uncontested, and he made some opportunistic plays...

Agreed that offense was the primary issue...but you coach teams as they are, right? We are not a great offensive team, so it makes sense to be pro-active on defense, right?

Love the zone, but it was a one man team. Double Porter somehow and we win.

We don't make adjustments like that. We might stretch the zone or favor one side, but we don't play man, double team or box and one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When a hoya misses an uncontested 3 - that's great defense? Cuz that's the only "defense" I saw out there.

I think the biggest problem with our zone was the fact that Smith-Rivera went out of his mind in the previous game so we gave him a bit more respect than he actually deserved. Stick to just worrying about Porter next game and we have a very good shot at winning.

How many points did SU score today? I would have liked to seen pressure earlier, but the lack of offense was the problem.

We held them to 35% shooting and 28% from 3 and outrebounded them. Defense was not the problem today. Yes we definitely could have done a better job on Porter but he's a great player and if we doubled him they have plenty of other guys who could have rained 3's down upon us. Simply put, if you cannot score 58 points in a game, you are going to lose the majority of the time.

Uggh. Up 12-4. Gtown just handing us opportunities to stretch the lead, and we decided to jack threes.

It's like they kept going for kill shots. Someone should explain to them that there are no kill shots with 35 minutes left.

It's like they kept going for kill shots. Someone should explain to them that there are no kill shots with 35 minutes left.

During that stretch MCW, Fair, Southerland, Cooney, and BT all took at least one three.

i believe the debate here is one of flexibility. georgetown made the proper adjustments (zone) and seized back control of the game. we either failed to even adjust our defense ( not talking trunk monkey panic mode button) or else failed to execute whatever adjustments JB made to stop basically a one man wrecking crew named otto porter. someone clearly had to be in his shorts at all times whether that's box and one,man or inverting to a 3/2 . whatever changes we made clearly failed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom