2 BE Tournament titles in 21 years? | Syracusefan.com

2 BE Tournament titles in 21 years?

Vitamin G

Walk On
Considering the talent we have had this is not a stellar record. I know we have made the finals more than anyone but we have a losing record in championship games.

In contrast Lville has 3 since joining the league. Not sure how many times we were favored verses being the underdog but seems we should have done better. Hall of Fame coach lots of Talent and a home crowd atmosphere should have gotten us more and I'm not sure why we didn't.

Any idea why?

Damn! I wanted this last one. Would have been nice to stand on the carcass of the old BE as champions.

GTown only has one in 24 years?

It is not like the BIG EAST was some pansy two or three team league the past few decades ... There was so much depth and talent that it makes it hard to win it all ... but I hear what you are saying.

we lost in the finals 10 times :mad:

And how many national titles does Lville have in that time? Conf tournies are nice to have but they don't really mean anything. And the ridiculous depth/power in the conf makes it partly a crap shoot to win.

Louisville's style is perfect for the play consecutive days type tournament like the BE. By the time a team sees them in the final they are whooped and can't deal with the pressure in the second half. It plays right into what they want to do.

It's a lot like our 2nd opponent in the NCAA's. Typically, the lack of prep against our zone helps us in that game.

Considering the talent we have had this is not a stellar record. I know we have made the finals more than anyone but we have a losing record in championship games.

In contrast Lville has 3 since joining the league. Not sure how many times we were favored verses being the underdog but seems we should have done better. Hall of Fame coach lots of Talent and a home crowd atmosphere should have gotten us more and I'm not sure why we didn't.

Any idea why?

Damn! I wanted this last one. Would have been nice to stand on the carcass of the old BE as champions.
Thats 3 BET titles, 1992, 2005 and 2006. If you are going to complain, at least get your facts right.

Thats 3 BET titles, 1992, 2005 and 2006. If you are going to complain, at least get your facts right.

Were my facts wrong? And I'm more curious than complaining.

Isn't 1993-2013 count as 21 tournaments?

Why is it that pointing out facts is complaining on this board?

I really wanted to win last nite, but we have a great tradition no matter our win/loss record in the championship game. We have THE best fanbase in the country which is astounding, and a program & coach that has maintained a high competitive level for over three decades. We're a blessed program that has been 1st or second in the conference tournament in almost half of all the years of the BE conference and lead the conference in that regard. We've led or been close in attendance both at home and on the road for many years.

In the final year of the Big East we made it to the championship game once again and we should be proud, even if disappointed. We're in a great place, mainly because we make the place WE happen to be great. SU had a lot to do with the success of the Big East, but the ACC is going to be great, too...because we're going to be there.

Conf tournies are nice to have but they don't really mean anything.

I certainly agree that a Big East title doesn't mean nearly as much as a national title or Final Four, but to say it means nothing is unfair. Thousands and thousands of SU fans take a greal deal of pride in BET championships.

It's like, the ultimate goal of an actor is to win an Oscar, but that doesn't mean winning a Golden Globe means nothing.

Why did you choose 21 years and not 22? 1 every 7 years seems about right.

Any idea why?

JB has a record of 5-10 in BET championship games. Not stellar, but hey this is not the freaking Big 12 where Kansas is head an shoulders the best team and just wins over and over and over again. Every single team in the Big East, save maybe USF, has been to a Final Four. Getting to 15 finals in 34 years is shockingly amazing in and of itself.

The ACC seems to be a better style fit for Syracuse Basketball. We would have been more successful there if we had gone there much earlier.

The Big East was always a rag tag thug league from the beginning, & we only survived because we had more talent most of the time. Georgetown made their living with that rough style that won't play anywhere else in America. You have to question why G'town couldn't win more than 1 title in 35 years, or haven't even sniffed a championship in nearly 30 years.

If ever complaining about a drought was justified i think it was the lack of outright reg. season ships from 92-09. Two in the last four yrs was great & preferable to a couple bet runs to me.

Sorry for sounding like I snapped at you.
2013 - 1992 = 21 years and the original title said 21 years, not 21 tournaments. Curious that you chose to begin counting after a win and go 21 tournaments, and not 20 years which is a round number, and would have been 1994. Usually when somebody asked a reason why over a period of years (and a specific unusual time frame) they are looking for confirmation that it is JB's fault, not just being curious. Consider, Georgetown considered a b-ball power in the BE, this years #1 seed has 1 since 1990. Pittsburgh another "power" has a total of 2 since joining. Villanova has as many NC as BET titles, 1. Then throw in UConn and Louisville and you have 5 very good reasons why. Its a tough league. Not like the ACC where 1 team has won 11 in the same time frame.

Where do you guys disappear to when Cuse wins? Just curious? Are there beaches?[/quote

Surprised you can't see us from your high horse.

15 BE finals is awesome but 5-10 is not. Simple as that. Gtown is 7-6,Uconn 7-3, Lville 3-1. I know Pitt is worse but I don't use Pitt as a measuring stick.

I'm not implying it's JB or anything else , I'm asking a question on a board. IMO SU should have more with the talent we've had.

Read into it what you want. But your not a better fan.

I certainly agree that a Big East title doesn't mean nearly as much as a national title or Final Four, but to say it means nothing is unfair. Thousands and thousands of SU fans take a greal deal of pride in BET championships.

It's like, the ultimate goal of an actor is to win an Oscar, but that doesn't mean winning a Golden Globe means nothing.
Let's apply appropriate context. "Nothing that supersedes the million other positives of the program." It's not what you judge a program by. Yay, vandy does better than UK in the conference tourney. It that a black mark on Cal? Nah, it doesn't matter as much as many other things.

I really wanted to win last nite, but we have a great tradition no matter our win/loss record in the championship game. We have THE best fanbase in the country which is astounding, and a program & coach that has maintained a high competitive level for over three decades. We're a blessed program that has been 1st or second in the conference tournament in almost half of all the years of the BE conference and lead the conference in that regard. We've led or been close in attendance both at home and on the road for many years.

In the final year of the Big East we made it to the championship game once again and we should be proud, even if disappointed. We're in a great place, mainly because we make the place WE happen to be great. SU had a lot to do with the success of the Big East, but the ACC is going to be great, too...because we're going to be there.

Excellent post, might I add that we are respected around America as a great team. We draw huge crowds where ever we go because fans want to see 'Cuse!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom