2 questions for the board | Syracusefan.com

2 questions for the board

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
1. Does Tony White leaving for a lateral job under Matt Rhule (assuming he does a good job there) make you want him less or more as a possible future HC?
2. Why is everyone so gung ho about Beck staying on as OC (including me), but more hesitant about Monroe when they both have similar lack of experience as coordinators? Genuinely curious.

1. Does Tony White leaving for a lateral job under Matt Rhule (assuming he does a good job there) make you want him less or more as a possible future HC?
2. Why is everyone so gung ho about Beck staying on as OC (including me), but more hesitant about Monroe when they both have similar lack of experience as coordinators? Genuinely curious.
1. More
2. IDK

I think question 2 is spot on. The talk that Beck is going to hit it out of the park seems pre-mature. Good person to have the way things have developed but some have him threatening Bill Walsh on the genius scale.

I never really wanted TW as the HC so I'm going to pass on your first question.

As far as your second question, I think Beck having so many years under Anae and Mendenhall in the same system makes him a better fit to become a coordinator. I don't doubt that Swag Daddy isn't a good coach, but he's only been involved in the 3-3-5 system for a couple of years, and I would wonder if he knows all the in's and outs of every single defensive position group. I think making him a Co-DC and bringing in someone with a lot more 3-3-5 experience would be the best option.

Monroe has been with Dino since 2014 and has been a position coach for some pretty all over the place defenses. Does Monroe have a scheme? Does he know how to call plays? Is he versatile? If he’s a great defensive mind, how come he’s been a recruiting guy and a very specific position coach for Dino for most of a decade?

1. It's not lateral. He's going to be making much more money with much higher expectations. He's going to need to be part of 10 win seasons and landing big time defensive recruits that are going to the nfl or they are going to go nuts. The Cuse DC job and Neb DC job are not the same job just in two different locations.

2. QB is the most important position in all of sports, arguably. That position coach should bring with it more experience as it pertains to play calling and overall success of an offense.

Just my 0.02.

1. Less. I like Dino and am not looking to rent TW as a HC until more money comes along for him. Let some other school do that. The man is climbing the ladder, let him do that elsewhere.

2. Good question I’m wondering the same.

1. Less. I like Dino and am not looking to rent TW as a HC until more money comes along for him. Let some other school do that. The man is climbing the ladder, let him do that elsewhere.

2. Good question I’m wondering the same.

Almost every coach who comes here is going to be climbing the ladder. You’ll never avoid that. You could say we’re lucky with DB b/c he’s a little old to be climbing the ladder as a HC. But on the flip side there were rumors USC was seriously interested in him years ago and why would he leave here. He has a career losing record and still has his job.

If you’re hiring in this day and age to avoid people who climb the ladder you’re not going to be successfully. Even the B10 and SEC lose coaches. And DB has left all his jobs to climb the ladder even leaving his kids at bowling green “high and dry” to come here. Everyone does it, it’s CFB whether we like it or not

Almost every coach who comes here is going to be climbing the ladder. You’ll never avoid that. You could say we’re lucky with DB b/c he’s a little old to be climbing the ladder as a HC. But on the flip side there were rumors USC was seriously interested in him years ago and why would he leave here. He has a career losing record and still has his job.

If you’re hiring in this day and age to avoid people who climb the ladder you’re not going to be successfully. Even the B10 and SEC lose coaches. And DB has left all his jobs to climb the ladder even leaving his kids at bowling green “high and dry” to come here. Everyone does it, it’s CFB whether we like it or not
This is why I said that I like Dino leading off the sentence. I feel like he brings long term stability to the program. Yes he has his faults but overall more good then bad.