2001-02 Syracuse basketball team suffered meltdown down the ... | Syracusefan.com

2001-02 Syracuse basketball team suffered meltdown down the ...

This team really was frustrating. I think it went into the tank after Shumpert got poked in the eye against Pitt, and Duany got his nose broken against Georgetown.

We were undersized and weak inside, but those two things really sunk us and undermined our NCAA chances.

Last edited:
This team really was frustrating. I think it went into the tank after Shumpert got poked in the eye against Pitt, and Duany got his nose broken against Georgetown.

If I remember correctly, that team started out 16-4 and there was even some chatter that Deshaun would get a look in the NBA.

Shumpert and Q always will always be two players I quite enjoyed watching, but the second half of that season was absolutely terrible to watch.

If I remember correctly, that team started out 16-4 and there was even some chatter that Deshaun would get a look in the NBA.

Shumpert and Q always will always be two players I quite enjoyed watching, but the second half of that season was absolutely terrible to watch.

They were actually 16-2.

And then even though we hit a rough patch, were still 20-7. They lost their last 3 of the regular season, including home games to Georgetown(when the court was named for Boeheim) and BC on Senior Day, and then round 1 of the BET. Awful collapse. If they won just 1 of those, they probably would've squeeked into the tournament.

At least they didn't quit. I remember being at the Butler NIT game and they played hard and pulled out an OT win. I remember the whole crowd(all 7,000 or whatever) standing for like half of the 2nd half and all of OT. It was fun being at a game with only the diehard fans and none of the stupid ads and promotions you get in the regular season and none of the boring, stiff fans around.

Good grief, man, doesn't that all sound just a little too eerily familiar?