2003 players here and not here this weekend... | Syracusefan.com

2003 players here and not here this weekend...

cto

Administrator
Lots of bits and pieces about this in various posts. I attended some events with the players who were there, so I will try here to put it together as best I can.

Jeremy McNeil was not there because while en route, his plane had to make an emergency landing due to a cabin pressure issue. On Friday night, his teammates were really looking forward to seeing him. They have much affection for him, and told many funny Jeremy stories: 1) Of course the story about the backwards jersey when he took off his warmups and was about to enter a game on national tv; 2) his unusual collection of pets ... which caused at least one roommate to ask for a new roommate because he was afraid of Jeremy's ferret.

Kueth Duany was not there because the recent death of his father caused him to be in Africa for the funeral and related family obligations. Every one missed him.

Billy Edelin... a number of players seem to be in contact with him. On Friday night, they thought it was going to be a game-time decision on his part as to whether to attend. Obviously, he decided not to.

Ronneil Heron wanted to be there, but work demands in North Carolina (where he is an engineer with Duke Energy) made it it difficult. In response to Orangeyes question in another thread, Ronneil's younger sister was a very good poster here during the 2003 season under the name "ReneNicole." I knew she was friendly with Josh Pace, so I asked Josh about her. Josh said he's in touch with her and she's doing very well down in Alabama.

Josh Pace will begin his fifth year of play in the New Zealand league on April 12. He very much enjoys the five-month season "down under." He hss matured into a very nice guy with a lot of presence (not that he wasn't always a very nice guy).

Craig Forth was there with his darling 2.5-year-old daughter. He also has a 5-week-old son who stayed at home with his wife. His parents, with whom I became friendly during Craig's years at SU, were also there yesterday. Had a very nice reunion with all three of them. I last spent time with Craig after the UVM loss in Worcester in 2005. He was still pretty much a kid then. Yesterday he was a very mature 30-year-old teacher. Made me feel old.

Matt Gorman, who was always the team's "class clown," has not changed a bit. His team mates were still teasing him about the hilarious video he posted from the locker room back then. He is living in the Watertown area.

Andrew Kowe, Gary Hall, Clay McKnight were all there and having a great time for two days.

GMac, was the team's unofficial host, and he was clearly enjoying having his old teammates back in town. No one wanted to leave the the Friday night reception.

Carmelo did not come to Syracuse until Saturday because the Knicks had a game on Friday night. He was extremely gracious to everyone at a post-game reception, where he spoke more informally about his year on the Hill than he had spoken during the halftime ceremony (where I thought he was very good). LaLa was also very gracious and friendly to everyone who wanted to meet her.

Aside from the game against Georgetown, it was a lovely weekend... and a good time seemed to be had by all the former players who attended.

Thanks for the insightful update cto.
What about hakim? Was there talk of him showing up since he doesn't really have an nba team right now?

Thanks for the insightful update cto.
What about hakim? Was there talk of him showing up since he doesn't really have an nba team right now?
Hakim had just been traded and waived ...and was waiting to find out what happens next -- and where he might be going next. He obviously had more important things on his mind this weekend.

Hakim had just been traded and waived ...and was waiting to find out what happens next -- and where he might be going next. He obviously had more important things on his mind this weekend.
I hope he gets picked up by a team that will actually play him but I fear the end may be near for him.

Thanks for posting. Hearing how Craig Forth has two young kids and is a teacher, when Forth will always be a kid in my eyes, is heartening and frightening at the same time. Is JB the emotional sort when these events occur or how would you describe his demeanor?

That's great. It brought back lots of memories. Don't forget Troy Weaver who was also there. Melo gave him a real nice shout out during his speech. I'm wondering if Troy was actually offered the Portland GM job and turned it down. Seems like he has done very well at OKC. Thanks.

Thanks cto...you're always informative!

if only craig still had a year of eligibility-man we could use a legit 5

Somewhere very exclusive and fabulous, Tristan's head just exploded.

RIP Stan.

why? kid was a rock in the middle when it counted-

when jimmy has more attitude than talent in the paint su thrives- the best bigs have always been the underrated guys, the higher rated ones have all failed to deliver -

why? kid was a rock in the middle when it counted-

when jimmy has more attitude than talent in the paint su thrives- the best bigs have always been the underrated guys, the higher rated ones have all failed to deliver -
Tristan's head exploded because of his intense feelings for Craig Forth. It is almost as though they were joined together at birth.

Great to know that our heroes are doing well. They sure did well for us.

CTO - any Josh Brooks sightings? I have a close friend that just attended his chiropractic clinic in VA, said he loved every second as a Syracuse Basketball player.

Beyond the 2003 team, there were many other guys at the game: Pearl, Bouie, Dale Shackleford, Leo, Waldron, Raf, Wallace, Sean Kerins, that I saw post game. Great memories! Why not introduce these guys during a timeout? There were only about 4o timeouts to do it. Leo's youngest son looks like a mini Andy.
On Sunday a.m., Bill Raftery sat next to my son and I at Mass on campus. Wonder why he stayed over?

Wow, I guess I missed the news about Kueth's dad. Condolences to the amazing Duany family.

Also sorry to hear McNeil was unable to make it. He had the emergency landing, but does that mean he was stranded or turned around and didn't make it for any part of the weekend? That's just a shame.

Thanks for the report, CTO. Good stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom