2003 season highlight video | Syracusefan.com

2003 season highlight video

I watched the tourney games this week from 2003 and one thing I noticed was that we really went through some bad stretches in those games with some sloppy play. Bad turnovers and as good as Carmelo was he definitely would force some things. But we were very good rebounding inside with Melo and Hak and very long.

One player I was extremely impressed with was McNeil. Talk about a shotblocker. Forth was your classic stiff but perfect for our zone because he just kept his hands up and did not leave his feet. McNeil was the rim protector. Amazing how good the press was with him back there.

Also Pace and Duany were very flexible on D- both could play the top or bottom of the zone.

A truly great 8 man rotation, obviously much better for its time period than today (lacked shooting) and when you have an all timer in Melo, that clearly helps.

Here’s an hour-long highlight video that includes every game from 02-03 that my friend made. Enjoy everyone :)
Unavailable. Now I’m sadder...

I watched the tourney games this week from 2003 and one thing I noticed was that we really went through some bad stretches in those games with some sloppy play. Bad turnovers and as good as Carmelo was he definitely would force some things. But we were very good rebounding inside with Melo and Hak and very long.

One player I was extremely impressed with was McNeil. Talk about a shotblocker. Forth was your classic stiff but perfect for our zone because he just kept his hands up and did not leave his feet. McNeil was the rim protector. Amazing how good the press was with him back there.

Also Pace and Duany were very flexible on D- both could play the top or bottom of the zone.

A truly great 8 man rotation, obviously much better for its time period than today (lacked shooting) and when you have an all timer in Melo, that clearly helps.
I think that team would've been fine today. We had plenty of shooting with GMac, Melo, and Duany. With two guys that could score in the post, the defenses wouldn't have been able to ignore the interior either.

The team looked very unimpressive in their two wins over Manhattan and Oklahoma State. If you had told me at that time they would later beat two 1 seeds in convincing fashion, and a stacked Kansas team on the way to a title I would’ve said you were crazy.

A friend asked me at the beginning of the tournament how far I thought they could go. I told him, if they played well they could beat anyone in the tournament except probably UConn. My only question was whether they'd play consistently well enough to put 6 wins together. I also cheered a little more than usual when UConn lost.

An hour well-spent! THANKS for posting!
Watching the pre-game warmups from behind the basket that season, recall a vibe with those guys that they were all tight and having fun too. Made you wish you were part of it/on the team.
The highlights showed how they looked for each other and shared the ball -many baskets off great assists.
So much more fun to watch than iso-ball!

An hour well-spent! THANKS for posting!
Watching the pre-game warmups from behind the basket that season, recall a vibe with those guys that they were all tight and having fun too. Made you wish you were part of it/on the team.
The highlights showed how they looked for each other and shared the ball -many baskets off great assists.
So much more fun to watch than iso-ball!
I can't even imagine being a guard on that team. Just throw the ball up reasonably close to the rim and Hak and McNeil would just go up and get it and finish WELL. Heck, I had forgotten just how athletic Melo was.

Forgot how muscular and big McNeil was
I never noticed the thing he would do bringing the ball close to his forehead when he was going up for a two-handed jam.

I know it's sad as I love re-watching the orange occasionally but I just can't seem to do it right now. It makes me feel even worse about our current state.

Here’s an hour-long highlight video that includes every game from 02-03 that my friend made. Enjoy everyone :)
Thanks.

Thoughts.
JG had a great freshman year, but GMac had big stones.

Craig Forth is remembered too harshly by some.

Throwing lobs over WVU's 1-3-1 zone was fun.

We had big hops, as a team.

The sum really was as great as the parts.

We played with the fearlessness and arrogance of youth. What a fun year.

Thanks.

Thoughts.
JG had a great freshman year, but GMac had big stones.

Craig Forth is remembered too harshly by some.

Throwing lobs over WVU's 1-3-1 zone was fun.

We had big hops, as a team.

The sum really was as great as the parts.

We played with the fearlessness and arrogance of youth. What a fun year.
Team was truly perfectly assembled especially for the era.

ND and Pitt home games were bananas. Being at Pitt game will be tough to top in my life.
Agreed, I was lucky and was able to see 3 games in person that year (was graduated by then)

Memphis - we lost but first glimpse of Melo/GMAC. I think Melo scored almost 20 in first half. Also funny because I didn't really know anything about GMAC before the game. It seems like people didn't have all the recruiting info they have in today's times

Pitt - enough said. Whenever the crowd storms the court twice, the coach has to get on the microphone to tell everyone to go back to seats, and you almost lose on a 3 quarters of the court shot... well. Also don't forget perfect record at home that year

Elite 8 - what energy. Cuse got off to a fast start and the crowd went nuts. Incredible to see, especially cutting down the nets in person

The only game I got to see in person was one of the preseason games when I got off work early one night (I worked second shift at a factory). I remember telling a friend afterward, "I don't know how good we'll be, but we're gonna be fun to watch."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom