2007 Syracuse second biggest snub in last 8 years | Syracusefan.com

2007 Syracuse second biggest snub in last 8 years

jncuse

I brought the Cocaine to the White House
I posted this in another thread, and I thought it may have been buried. Thought it may be relevant to bring up during selection week.

I am so happy to be beyond the days of wondering whether we are a tourney team... now its the 1,2 or 3 line.

As I make many references to the Bracket Matrix and the "% of ins" a team currently has, I thought it would be interesting to look at the biggest surprise teams getting in (and missing) in the past 8 years. We can reference the matrix for the last 8 years.

Biggest Surprise Omissions
2011 Virginia Tech - 98%
2007 Syracuse - 97%
2006 Missouri St - 91%
2011 Colorado - 91%
2006 Cincinnati - 87%
2008 Illinois St - 64%
2012 Seton Hall - 56%
2006 Hofstra - 56%
2011 St. Mary's - 55%

Biggest Surprise Additions
2006 Air Force - 0%
2006 Utah St - 0%
2012 Iona - 6%
2011 UAB - 11%
2009 Arizona - 13%
2007 Arkansas - 16%
2011 VCU - 17%

Last edited:
Hofstra in 2006 was a huge snub. May have had a better resume than George Mason that season (beat them twice).

Hofstra in 2006 was a huge snub. May have had a better resume than George Mason that season (beat them twice).

You are correct, and Hofstra should have been on my omissions list. Hofstra was on 56% of brackets that year. George Mason was on 48% of the brackets.

2006 Consensus had Missouri St, Cincinnati, Hofstra. They were replaced by Air Force, Utah St, and George Mason.

I remember some odd picks in the first half of the decade from the old WAC/MWC.

The NIT, which is owned by the NCAA, (and was at the time), had penciled in Arkansas as the #2 seed in their South Region. When the razorbacks were surprisingly selected for the NCAA tournament and Syracuse was left out, they put SU in the #2 seed in the South region- Arkansas's spot. When the head of the NCAA committee was asked to justify the snub of Syracuse, (22-10 and 11-7 in a power conference), he pointed out that the NIT had only seeded Syracuse #2 in their south region and asked why anyone would think that a team the NIT had not even seeded #1 belonged in the NCXAA tournament. Since the NCAA owned the NIT, he knew perfectly well that he's just put such a team, (Arkansas was 21-13 and 10-10) into the NCAA tournament.

I remember on the Monday after the 2007 snub I emailed my supervisor and told her to go ahead and cancel my Thursday and Friday off. Fortunately, she realized I wasn't thinking clearly and she kept it on the calendar.

The NIT, which is owned by the NCAA, (and was at the time), had penciled in Arkansas as the #2 seed in their South Region. When the razorbacks were surprisingly selected for the NCAA tournament and Syracuse was left out, they put SU in the #2 seed in the South region- Arkansas's spot. When the head of the NCAA committee was asked to justify the snub of Syracuse, (22-10 and 11-7 in a power conference), he pointed out that the NIT had only seeded Syracuse #2 in their south region and asked why anyone would think that a team the NIT had not even seeded #1 belonged in the NCXAA tournament. Since the NCAA owned the NIT, he knew perfectly well that he's just put such a team, (Arkansas was 21-13 and 10-10) into the NCAA tournament.
That was as bad as it gets.

I posted this in another thread, and I thought it may have been buried. Thought it may be relevant to bring up during selection week.

I am so happy to be beyond the days of wondering whether we are a tourney team... now its the 1,2 or 3 line.

As I make many references to the Bracket Matrix and the "% of ins" a team currently has, I thought it would be interesting to look at the biggest surprise teams getting in (and missing) in the past 8 years. We can reference the matrix for the last 8 years.

2011 Virginia Tech - 98%
2007 Syracuse - 97%
2006 Missouri St - 91%
2011 Colorado - 91%
2006 Cincinnati - 87%
2008 Illinois St - 64%
2012 Seton Hall - 56%
2006 Hofstra - 56%
2011 St. Mary's - 55%

2006 Air Force - 0%
2006 Utah St - 0%
2012 Iona - 6%
2011 UAB - 11%
2009 Arizona - 13%
2007 Arkansas - 16%
2011 VCU - 17%

I wonder if VPInwishes they could go back to our favorite Father Sethy boy. At least they were getting media attention!

2011 Virginia Tech - 98%
2007 Syracuse - 97%
2006 Missouri St - 91%
2011 Colorado - 91%
2006 Cincinnati - 87%
2008 Illinois St - 64%
2012 Seton Hall - 56%
2006 Hofstra - 56%
2011 St. Mary's - 55%

2006 Air Force - 0%
2006 Utah St - 0%
2012 Iona - 6%
2011 UAB - 11%
2009 Arizona - 13%
2007 Arkansas - 16%
2011 VCU - 17%
How about an 18-13 Stanford team in 2007. Got blown out in the first round. Had no business being there.

How about an 18-13 Stanford team in 2007. Got blown out in the first round. Had no business being there.

Stanford was on 43% of the final brackets that year, but was not part of the consensus. They had more support than Arkansas at 17%.

But they were clearly behind Syracuse at 97% and behind Drexel at 53%, who bothed missed the tourney.

Wow, I didn't know that. That's outrageous. It is not wonder JB is grumpy in his pressers, that is a hell of an environment to work in ... what a bunch of snakes.

I remember it well. That was the gift that kept on giving too because, with our #2 seed we had to travel to Clemson where the place was in a frenzy.

I'm still angry about that.

scottynguyen said:
Gary Walters

I'll never forget that guys name. We weren't even on the bubble that year, we were considered a lock. Then Stanford and Arkansas proceed to get destroyed in their 1st round games.

Smarmy.

I still remember how great I felt after the GTown game. So, that team had an RPI of 50 and 7-3 in their last 10 which was pretty solid.

I'll never forget that guys name. We weren't even on the bubble that year, we were considered a lock. Then Stanford and Arkansas proceed to get destroyed in their 1st round games.

All the guys that dis us like Gottlieb and Lunardi had us in. The committee was worse than they were.

Stanford was on 43% of the final brackets that year, but was not part of the consensus. They had more support than Arkansas at 17%.

But they were clearly behind Syracuse at 97% and behind Drexel at 53%, who bothed missed the tourney.

Vitale had the most emotional rant I've ever seen from him in support of that debacle of a Drexel snub.

Don't lose to drexel and Wichita state at home.

True. If you are on the bubble, you are like a boxer who could have knodked out his opponent but let it go to a decision and got one he didn't expect.

Looking at the records of Arkansas and Stanford:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/arkansas/2007-schedule.html

Arkansas didn't loose to any mid-majors but they did have a 7-9 regular season record in the SEC and they lost games by 22,24 and 21 points and then lost by 17 to USC in the first round.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/stanford/2007-schedule.html

Stanford lost by 34 to Air Force and 16 to Santa Clara and then got dropped by 20 against Louisville in the first round.

Never, ever have I had such a horrible feeling of being sucker punched as in 2007 and I'll never forget it as long as I live. At the time I even made a spreadsheet to keep for future reference (Green Highlight for controversial decisions by the selection committee - note how many agencies had us as 9-10 seed and only one had us not included, then check Arkansas/Stanford).

Last edited:
I put a hole right through my TV when they announced the 64th team and Syracuse wasn't mentioned. Literally.

I remember sitting in front of my TV after the last bracket waiting for them to come back and say they made a mistake. I can say I was 100% certain we were going to be in. Never for a second that day did I think we would be left out. I was worried about our seeding, be it 8-10

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom