2008 Time Machine | Syracusefan.com

2008 Time Machine

bnoro

Lurker
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/11173939

Mike Locksley was the best hire of the season, Doug Marrone the worst.

Looking at the 6 "worst hires" though is pretty funny.

Brady Hoke to SDSU, we all know how that worked out and the guy's been great at UM.
Bill Snyder to KState, KState has been fantastic the last few seasons.
Tim Beckman to Toledo, a team that has been consistently one of the best in the MAC.
Danny Hope to Purdue, accurate.
Chizik to Auburn, a terrible hire despite his NC which was delivered by Cam and Malzahn.
Marrone to SU

Great find. Someone should email Dodd with the link and see if he cares to review and revise.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/11173939

Mike Locksley was the best hire of the season, Doug Marrone the worst.

Looking at the 6 "worst hires" though is pretty funny.

Brady Hoke to SDSU, we all know how that worked out and the guy's been great at UM.
Bill Snyder to KState, KState has been fantastic the last few seasons.
Tim Beckman to Toledo, a team that has been consistently one of the best in the MAC.
Danny Hope to Purdue, accurate.
Chizik to Auburn, a terrible hire despite his NC which was delivered by Cam and Malzahn.
Marrone to SU

That one is like a fine wine, it gets better with age. Not the first time that article has been posted on this board.

That one is like a fine wine, it gets better with age. Not the first time that article has been posted on this board.

That is pretty funny. That's one area where ESPN/internet/sports talk radio has really hurt sports journalism -- that feeling that if you're not writing about the future you're writing something that's dated and no one will care about it. Leads to sports pages and sports programming based on predicting the future which, as we all know, is tricky and isn't exactly journalism.

Agreed, but his predictions are more like MD 20 20 than Chateau Montelena.

Love that article.

Wasn't that Tim Green quote taken completely out of context?

Love this paragraph...

Me? I would have hired Buffalo's Turner Gill. The Bulls coach actually interviewed at Auburn. I suspect he got the lay of the land under puppeteer/trustee Bobby Lowder and was immediately turned off. Gill was "concerned" about the job because he has a white wife, Barkley told the reporter. Even if Gill had no reservations, I suspect he saw the Crimson Tide rising on the horizon and deduced that a 10-2 season with a loss to Alabama would be considered a failure. I also suspect Auburn was just playing the distinguished Gill anyway. I would have used the term "token" interview but that would be assuming Auburn had some sort of plan.

Good call, Dennis Dodd.

And the funny thing is that people will continue to read his articles and agree. He knows no more than anyone that posts here and to be honest I'd by far rather read the people here than that guy.

And the funny thing is that people will continue to read his articles and agree. He knows no more than anyone that posts here and to be honest I'd by far rather read the people here than that guy.
To be fair to him, there's no way he can be in touch with every little thing that happens in each program. There are over 120 D1 programs now, so I don't blame him for not being in touch with why certain programs did what they did. Coaching is a wild card, no one's a sure thing outside Urban Meyer and Nick Saban. It's funny looking back but hindsight is 20/20 and I know there were quite a few people on this board who wanted Locksley here.

To be fair to him, there's no way he can be in touch with every little thing that happens in each program. There are over 120 D1 programs now, so I don't blame him for not being in touch with why certain programs did what they did. Coaching is a wild card, no one's a sure thing outside Urban Meyer and Nick Saban. It's funny looking back but hindsight is 20/20 and I know there were quite a few people on this board who wanted Locksley here.

It's his reasoning that I find incorrect. It's his job and he's paid to do it thoroughly but you are right it is a crapshoot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom