2010 Top 10 Football/Academic Powerhouses... | Syracusefan.com

2010 Top 10 Football/Academic Powerhouses...

i thought purdue was a better school and its not like their players are all going pro after 2 years.

wow West Virginia tops UNC Northwestern and Duke. Really wish the ACC had brought them and UConn along and closed the door.

wow West Virginia tops UNC Northwestern and Duke. Really wish the ACC had brought them and UConn along and closed the door.
you are not reading the chart correctly.

Really surprised to see Central Florida football team ranked so high academically.

Really surprised to see Central Florida football team ranked so high academically.

Except it's not an "academic" ranking. It's only graduation numbers.

I always thought the rap on CFU recruiting was that that hey had low academic standards, including accepting non- (or partial) qualifiers. It's hard to square their graduation rates with this perception, unless it's an "Ohio State Basketweaving" 101 situation.

I forwarded that article to some friends and they wondered how it would look if the nature of the degreees being issued were considered. Andrew Luck, for example is getitng a degree in architectural engineering.

I just went through the SU Media Guide and did a stroke-tally of the majors of the SU football players. Don’t ask me to explain what all these things are or their likelihood of leading to some kind of employment but here goes:

16 players are majoring in Communication and Rhetorical Studies
6 players are majoring in Child and Family Studies or in Information Management and Technology or Sociology (that’s 18 guys: six in each)
5 are majoring in Visual and Performing Arts
4 are majoring in Hospitality and Food Service Management
3 are majoring in Economics, Finance, Marketing Management or Psychology (12 guys: three in each)
2 are majoring in Management, Mechanical Engineering, Physical Education, Political Science or Sport Management (10 guys: two in each)
1 each are majoring in Biology, Broadcast Journalism, Engineering, Forensic Science, Health and Exercise Science, Media Management, Public relations, and Teaching & Curriculum

In addition,

18 players are enrolled in the College of Sport and Human Dynanmics
8 are enrolled in the College of Arts and Sciences
2 are enrolled in the School of Engineering and Computer Science
1 is enrolled in the School of Information Studies

That includes walk-ons and three players had multiple majors. How this compares to other schools on that list, I don’t know.