2016 and 18 vs. 2010 and 12 | Syracusefan.com

2016 and 18 vs. 2010 and 12

NKR1978

Living Legend
These last two tournaments have been absolute joys from minute 1.

I loved those two teams. But their tournaments as 1 seeds were miserable. AO and Fab. The stress of the UNC Greensboro (Asheville) game. The horrible referees against Butler and Ohio State. Relief more than joy over each win.

I remember during the 2016 run Deadspin sort of doing a joke about cheering for that “plucky underdog” Syracuse. And I kind of love having this underdog number next to our name, but we’re still Syracuse, so no one is shocked to see the success. It’s the best of both worlds.

Last edited:
These last two tournaments have been absolute joys from minute 1.

I loved those two teams. But their tournaments as 1 seeds were miserable. AO and Fab. The stress of the UNC Greensboro game. The horrible referees against Butler and Ohio State. Relief more than joy over each win.

I remember during the 2016 run Deadspin sort of doing a joke about cheering for that “plucky underdog” Syracuse. And I kind of love having this underdog number next to our name, but we’re still Syracuse, so no one is shocked to see the success. It’s the best of both worlds.

I agree 100%. When you’re a top seed every game is nerve-wracking because you expect to get to the Final Four and possibly win it all.

2016 and so far 2018 have been by far my most enjoyable tournament experiences as a fan. Tourney success when you least expect it is fantastic.

Last edited:
It's pretty simple actually- there is pretty much zero pressure when you are a lower seed. If you lose, you're supposed to lose. If you win, it's an upset.

Completely different circumstances especially in single elimination tourneys. Which, honestly, is why college basketball is a dumb way to determine champions. It's "fun" to watch (as a neutral fan... we have our fair share of tough losses), but how many upsets are there in a best of 5, even best of 3 series?

That all said... yes, I would much, much rather have really good teams that get top 4 seeds each season, despite how "fun" these little runs are.

Im not letting go of the loss to OSU or Michigan til we win it all again.

I was over the OSU loss the seconds hit 0:00 at the Verizon Center in Washington in 2013. Being there to bear witness and meet Pearl, Moten, Leo Rautins and other members of the Orange family erased the crushing loss in the Elite 8 the year before.

I was over the Michigan loss in 13’ the second I bought my Final Four tickets and plane ticket to Houston two years ago.

I’m still not over Butler. That and Vermont just destroyed me.

I will never be over the Vermont loss. That was the last time I watched a Cuse game with my grandfather. He was a huge college basketball fan and I had so much pride to visit him in FL on my spring break and watch a Cuse team start a deep run.

When time ran out on that game I was truly heartbroken.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom