2017-18 Basketball season ticket renewal came today-pros and cons to renew | Syracusefan.com

2017-18 Basketball season ticket renewal came today-pros and cons to renew

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
Reasons to renew (or not) for next year

1) Next year we might get to see JAB's 1000th win. That's a positive but wasn't that suppose to happen a couple games ago.

2) The school is offering incentives to renew early. So if I renew by January 19th I can spread out my payment for 9 months. That's great but isn't the 19th tomorrow? Not enough time to mull out these huge decisions. Besides some people think the world as we know it is going to end on the 20th. BTW, were those the same people who thought the world was going to end on 1/1/2000. Can we go back and access those posts.

3) Are we going to have a competitive roster next season? Actually let me rephrase that. Are we able to start five scholarship players with one of them not named Autry or Boeheim? Last off season was one for the books when it came to recruiting. If this off season is even comparable I will definitely need meds to make that walk up the hill from Marshall Street to the Dome.

4) Do I want to continue to make that 2.5 hour drive on the Monday night of Xmas week to see Coach Murphy. Nothing beats the Carrier Dome like an empty Carrier Dome during college vacations playing a directional school. Pros: No line for beer or the troughs and the high school band is pretty good. But I don't need season tickets to see Eastern Michigan "Shut it down". People will try to give their tickets away for free to the scalpers and they even refuse them.

5) Being able to make a profit on games I don't go to. I crack myself up for just typing that. I do feel bad for our "professional" scalpers on Marshall Street. I can't imagine it's worthwhile for them to stand out in the cold and do what they do.

6) Ability to see great opposing coaches. John Thompson, Looie, Rollie, Calhoun. Nope that ship has sailed. Best we have is Coach K. Unfortunately he might never see Jim Boeheim Court again. BTW, did everyone love the Roy Williams "800" love fest the other night. There is only one Roy Williams game that we remember. I think he was crying on national TV afterwards and I don't think Bonnie Bernstein was ever the same again.

7) Enjoying the camaraderie of 20,000 plus of your closest friends. Who doesn't like being in the dome and dropping a deuce for the Cuse. Be loud, be proud, be Orange.

8) Getting through the winter in Upstate NY. At least in the fall we can rake leaves. Without Cuse basketball I don't think I could have survived the winters this long. At least the Giants have won four Super Bowls in the my lifetime when at one point I never expected any.

9) My favorite thing going to the games. Everyone has their set routines. Park in the same spot, walk the same path, go in the same entrance. I don't drink during the games. I'm one of those people that never leave their seat. We've had this debate before. I personally believe you should eat and drink before hand. You visit the bathroom, if you need to, upon entering the dome and then you sit until the final buzzer. That's it. However, my favorite thing is after the game. Then I like to have some cocktails. I just think they taste so much better afterwards. You don't have to agree, but it's my favorite thing. However I did almost leave before the final buzzer during the St Johns game. I put my coat on but my wife made me stay. There are reasons people get married.

10) Pros vs cons. Add them up. Unless something drastically happens I am sure I will renew but I am curious on how many people won't. I don't care about the school's new renewal incentives. Some people might but give me a free seat back instead. Or better yet, lower the price of the ticket.

Renew or you're soft.

Can't wait to get my 2nd football season's in the mail

I was 95% set to buy public season tickets this year until my wife reminded me that we just bought a house this year and $1-2k spent on SU season tickets would not be the wisest investment.

All I can say is, thank god she stopped me.

It just rubs me the wrong way that the current season is still going on and they are already billing for next season. I understand the new way tickets are being done (contribution, payment plans, etc), but seeing that e-mail yesterday I was like "really, already? Wow".

Great post. This is the first year I took the plunge for hoops season tickets at afret living here my whole life. Man did I pick the wrong year lol. Been suffering thru football season tickets for a decade.

I will renew, but let's face it... we aren't going to be good next year either. But I am a diehard fan and u never know when a great memory will happen. That's why we do things in life, right? For the memories.

It just rubs me the wrong way that the current season is still going on and they are already billing for next season. I understand the new way tickets are being done (contribution, payment plans, etc), but seeing that e-mail yesterday I was like "really, already? Wow".
All kidding aside, since I will renew because the dome is one of my happy places, but if you are going to send something out with a one day deadline they need to really up the ante. Give you the free seat backs or give you 5% off if you renew within 24 hrs. I have no incentive to renew today. Give me a $100 and then you are talking my language.

Great post. This is the first year I took the plunge for hoops season tickets after living here my whole life.

I've been an SU fan much longer than most here have been alive. The fact I'm a donor means nothing. The fact I know Jim personally means nothing also.

You've been an SU fan for over 30-40 years, you donate money, you know JB personally, and you've lived in Syracuse your whole life, yet this is the 1st year you've had season tickets?

Whose basement were you chained up in?

All kidding aside, since I will renew because the dome is one of my happy places, but if you are going to send something out with a one day deadline they need to really up the ante. Give you the free seat backs or give you 5% off if you renew within 24 hrs. I have no incentive to renew today. Give me a $100 and then you are talking my language.
I haven't opened my e-mail yet but, if it is structured like football, you only have to renew tomorrow if you want to take advantage of the 9 month payment plan. You have the option to renew later if you prefer fewer payments at a higher monthly rate. That's what I did with football.
I do agree though that one day's notice is lame.

You've been an SU fan for over 30-40 years, you donate money, you know JB personally, and you've lived in Syracuse your whole life, yet this is the 1st year you've had season tickets?

Whose basement were you chained up in?
Touche.

Just haven't done it. Go to 10 plus games a year forever but just never did.

And yes I do know him but we aren't buddies. Just known him forever thru various circumstances.

You guys are so lucky. I would do anything for Syracuse basketball to play in my town. How much are tickets out of curiosity. I have season tickets to University of Washington football and it's only 500 bucks for the season. Husky basketball is so bad they give them way.

You guys are so lucky. I would do anything for Syracuse basketball to play in my town. How much are tickets out of curiosity. I have season tickets to University of Washington football and it's only 500 bucks for the season. Husky basketball is so bad they give them way.

$500, although there is a long range section for $250.

#3 - if Lydon and Battle both somehow stay, a core of Battle/Moyer/Lydon/Thompson would likely be more enjoyable than this year

I haven't opened my e-mail yet but, if it is structured like football, you only have to renew tomorrow if you want to take advantage of the 9 month payment plan. You have the option to renew later if you prefer fewer payments at a higher monthly rate. That's what I did with football.
I do agree though that one day's notice is lame.

I think the site shows a due date for the first payment as the next business day. Guessing you can opt for the 9 payment plan right up until February 1 (or maybe even anytime up to a day before Payment 2 is due. If you go in today you will see first payment date of 1/20.

It's reasonable to think that quite a few STHs will probably NOT renew -- which will give other STHs a rare opportunity to move down a few rows to seats that maybe they were eyeballing for many years.

#3 - if Lydon and Battle both somehow stay, a core of Battle/Moyer/Lydon/Thompson would likely be more enjoyable than this year

Looks like a lot of the same as this year without White, Roberson and Gillon.

it goes in cycles. when I first started getting season tickets was in the Roberts-Nichols-Watkins years that were in the NIT. they basically couldn't beg people to buy the tickets. after a few good years, they become pretentious, you have to renew sooner etc. but it will be back to trying to get butts in seats pretty soon, I would literally renew my season tickets in 311 like 1 week before the games started. and the secondary market will not exist after another year like this one.

Looks like a lot of the same as this year without White, Roberson and Gillon.
Well you would be hoping to see some significant improvement from Battle and Thompson. It's not a top 10-15 team, or at least not unless they really make the leap. More enjoyable; not necessarily better. It's rewarding to see players get better over the years. Much more satisfying than the 1 year rentals. You need the rentals to compete, but there is something about seeing someone put in the work and see it pay off later (i.e. Christmas).

Well you would be hoping to see some significant improvement from Battle and Thompson. It's not a top 10-15 team, or at least not unless they really make the leap. More enjoyable; not necessarily better. It's rewarding to see players get better over the years. Much more satisfying than the 1 year rentals. You need the rentals to compete, but there is something about seeing someone put in the work and see it pay off later (i.e. Christmas).

I mean if Lydon miraculously comes back there's no reason why he, Battle, and Thompson shouldn't be 3 of the top 10-15 players in the ACC next year. We might not have a PG, but we might not need an exceptional one if we have all ACC level talent at every other position.

I mean if Lydon miraculously comes back there's no reason why he, Battle, and Thompson shouldn't be 3 of the top 10-15 players in the ACC next year. We might not have a PG, but we might not need an exceptional one if we have all ACC level talent at every other position.

We have all 3 of these guys now and will probably end up sub .500.

They all come back and we don't fix the point guard issue we're going to be in the middle of the pack or the bottom middle, best case scenario. We lose Gillon, White and Roberson, say what you will about Gillon but if Howard doesn't come back we literally have Autry backing up the point. Thompson may never get the defense figured out, he's THAT far away IMO.

I don't see much good next year, even if we return Lydon.