1. If you are getting script errors or redirects, please click here and switch to the "Alternate Style." You can dismiss this notice by clicking the little x at the top right of this box. If you still have a problem, email me at: tom@emery.net
    Dismiss Notice

2018 Class

Discussion in 'Basketball Recruiting Forum' started by gmacfor3, Jan 8, 2017.

1. RF2044

RF2044 Living Legend

That's not really what I've ready anyone say. What I HAVE read is that it behooves the program to get the best recruiters / assistant coaches that JB can, irrespective of whether said coach has ties to the program or not.

2. Francis03

Francis03 All American

You can start recruiting a player at any point. Shoot, we offered Tyus Battle before he even played a game in high school. Recruitments can play out on several different scenarios. You have those that involve plenty of high maintenance with delusional parents and handlers that become a circus. Then you have the reasonable ones where the players are the ones deciding what's best for them with the parents signing off on that decision. Main goal for the staff is to always get their top targets on campus and then work their magic to close on that commitment.

3. jr4750

jr4750 All American

I agree with you. I was trying not to engage deeply in that particular conversation, but, offer that I always thought having alums as recruiters was a bonus. Now it's very possible that those particular alums could be less talented than someone else, which is totally fair. I would want the best possible candidate regardless of their background. I was also trying to say that I thought GMAC had all the intangibles to be a good recruiter, and that hopefully, the Quade experience taught him a few things. I totally get that he isn't as good as Hop and Red at it, at this point, and very much hope that the coaches realize the situation is getting dire and there is no time to acclimate a young inexperienced coach. That said, I never understood why recruiting wasn't a all hands on deck practice. Cuse goes after 5-10 kids max a cycle. I would want all my assistants to be involved with the top guys. Why would that be bad.

SoBeCuse likes this.
  4. Orngeinda6

Orngeinda6 Walk On

Part of the reason it wasn't all hands on deck in recruiting was because of the sanctions. That's something no one seems to bring up. One of the sanctions was a restriction on the number of recruiters we could have on the road. It also as it turns out may have been the most damaging although most probably just glanced at it and looked at it as an oversight worrying instead about lost scholarships. We won't be able to send out a full team of recruiters until the sanctions expire this spring.

JoeySimz and torque like this.
  5. Shark58

Shark58 Walk On

limited numbers on the road shouldn't preclude reaching out to what appears to be many kids in the geographical wheelhouse who we apparently showed 0.0 interest in, and for whom many of this board would now practically beg to come here

two3zone likes this.