Class of 2018 - 2018 Grad Transfers | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 2018 Grad Transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I follow grad transfers really closely (The gradtransfertracker site that Shark linked to is mine). There's a fine, fine line between ACC quality and warm body. I don't think there's a quality player left on the market who would both be willing to be 3rd string and could make a meaningful contribution deep in the conference season. Even if Dolezaj is playing emergency center, at least we know he won't be a black hole on offense.

There's no fine line between a player being ACC quality and a "unicorn."

I'll take your word for it that there probably aren't any players out there who would fit the bill. That doesn't make said player a unique case.

Last edited:
There's no fine line between a player being ACC quality and a "unicorn."

There probably aren't any players out there who would fit the bill. That doesn't make said player a unique case.
You're looking for a guy who can contribute / be a non-liability in the ACC, but is also willing to average 5 minutes a game. That doesn't exist. Hence "unicorn."

You're looking for a guy who can contribute / be a non-liability in the ACC, but is also willing to average 5 minutes a game. That doesn't exist. Hence "unicorn."

Sure it exists. For a guy brought in to play defense, rebound, and play a complimentary role?

Nobody is expecting a big time mid-major to want to do that, or that said prospect would need to come in and score -- just be a role player. Just that there might be a big out there who has the requisite athleticism to man the middle in our zone, who might be willing to take a reduced role at Syracuse to get an experience that they wouldn't get at Limestone College [hypothetical example]. Such a prospect isn't a unique case, given the expected contribution level -- you're overstating it.

Honestly not looking to be argumentative here -- have a good day.

Last edited:
Sure it exists. For a guy to play defense, rebound, and play a role?

Nobody is expecting this player to be a big time mid-major, or have to come in and score -- just be a role player. You're overstating it -- significantly.
I'm really not. You want someone who won't be a liability. I'm saying to find someone on June 4th, who is 6'8" - 6'11", who is built in a way that compliments the zone, is strong enough to protect the rim, athletic enough to help trap, has one year remaining, and is willing to take limited minutes is a significant list of requirements. That doesn't begin to get into footwork skills, positioning skills, and hands.

There aren't that many tall players on the market at this point, let alone any who fit the bill. It's not worth taking a guy who isn't a developmental project if he can't come in and not be a huge liability. And if a guy is at least a 0+/- when he's on the floor, he's not going to take 3rd string minutes.

I'm really not. You want someone who won't be a liability. I'm saying to find someone on June 4th, who is 6'8" - 6'11", who is built in a way that compliments the zone, is strong enough to protect the rim, athletic enough to help trap, has one year remaining, and is willing to take limited minutes is a significant list of requirements. That doesn't begin to get into footwork skills, positioning skills, and hands.

There aren't that many tall players on the market at this point, let alone any who fit the bill. It's not worth taking a guy who isn't a developmental project if he can't come in and not be a huge liability. And if a guy is at least a 0+/- when he's on the floor, he's not going to take 3rd string minutes.
I'm pretty sure that physical attributes aside, that said player, that is going to accept 5 minutes a game, would have a ridiculous hurdle to overcome in gaining JB's trust over the emergency situation of playing Marek at 5. To find a player that would cover both of those circumstances(physical ability, plus JB's trust) would be next to impossible. If such a player did exist, they are probably pretty good, and wouldn't accept 3rd string.

Long story short...you're 100% right on!

Bigs still on that list...

The best grad big available: PF Reid Travis 6'8 245 who averaged 19.5 ppg 8.7 rbg and 2-time 1st-team all PAC12. Rumors that Kentucky is the leader for him. Surprising with EJ in the fold there.

PF Abdul Lewis 6'10 225 who averaged 12.1 ppg 8.8 rbg. Maybe Seton Hall.

PF/C Tory Miller-Stewart 6'9 246 who averaged 6.2 ppg 4.7 rpg.

PF/C Kory Kuenstling 6'11 234 who averaged 2.2 ppg 2.4 rpg 0.5 bpg. Grandview University sounds likely.

PF Hassan Hussein 6'9 205 who averaged 5.5 ppg 3.2 rbg.

PF Jay Harvey 6'9 255 who averaged 1.8 ppg 3.1 rpg.

PF Otas Iyekekpolor 6'8 220 who averaged 1.3 ppg 1.2 rpg. He is from Canada.

PF Brent Hibbitts 6'8 220 who averaged 1.8 ppg 0.6 rpg and has 2 years available. He was a preferred walk-on that passed on other D1 offers. Think his brother plays at Central Michigan.. could be a landing spot.

I had previously mentioned C/PF Valentine Sangoyomi 6'8 240 from Nigeria/ Erie, PA who averaged 0.6 ppg 1.2 rpg.

There is already a thread on Stone Gettings.

Last edited:
Bigs still on that list...

The best grad big available: PF Reid Travis 6'8 245 who averaged 19.5 ppg 8.7 rbg and 2-time 1st-team all PAC12. Rumors that Kentucky is the leader for him. Surprising with EJ in the fold there.

PF Abdul Lewis 6'10 225 who averaged 12.1 ppg 8.8 rbg. Maybe Seton Hall.

PF/C Tory Miller-Stewart 6'9 246 who averaged 6.2 ppg 4.7 rpg.

PF/C Kory Kuenstling 6'11 234 who averaged 2.2 ppg 2.4 rpg 0.5 bpg. Grandview University sounds likely.

PF Hassan Hussein 6'9 205 who averaged 5.5 ppg 3.2 rbg.

PF Jay Harvey 6'9 255 who averaged 1.8 ppg 3.1 rpg.

PF Otas Iyekekpolor 6'8 220 who averaged 1.3 ppg 1.2 rpg. He is from Canada.

PF Brent Hibbitts 6'8 220 who averaged 1.8 ppg 0.6 rpg and has 2 years available. He was a preferred walk-on that passed on other D1 offers. Think his brother plays at Central Michigan.. could be a landing spot.

I had previously mentioned C/PF Valentine Sangoyomi 6'8 240 from Nigeria/ Erie, PA who averaged 0.6 ppg 1.2 rpg.

There is already a thread on Stone Gettings.
So when I look at this message, I would say I would want to look at a couple guys here based on what I think is a need framed a few ways. ( Please note I am not even remotely calling HCJB out, he knows more on this subject then I ever will), just musing out loud. I would take a big dude like Travis (barring personality issues). I would also take a 6'9 248 guy for backup minutes in Tory Stewart. Both guys different and both able to do something for us I think.
No matter...Cuse will be fun to watch and it will be interesting to see who is ready to make a jump or show they are a freshman with some game!

I think you’re sleeping on sidibe a bit. He can be closer to 12/9 this year than 3/3 if he’s healthy.

12 and 9 would be a long shot, but 8 and 6 is reasonable.
But the main point is that he just had surgery on tendons, probably trimming some frays.
Yes, he'll be "healed" by fall. But we also had Chukwu experience back spasms down the stretch, too. Both can be recurring.

I would hope that if there was still a big man out there who could contribute, we wound find a place for him. I'm worried that if either center gets hurt, we've got nobody else, really. Don't try to say Marek. That's not the answer against good teams.

12 and 9 would be a long shot, but 8 and 6 is reasonable.
But the main point is that he just had surgery on tendons, probably trimming some frays.
Yes, he'll be "healed" by fall. But we also had Chukwu experience back spasms down the stretch, too. Both can be recurring.

I would hope that if there was still a big man out there who could contribute, we wound find a place for him. I'm worried that if either center gets hurt, we've got nobody else, really. Don't try to say Marek. That's not the answer against good teams.
Sorry to let you down but JB trashed the offense all year...he’s gonna roll out a marek lineup with Hughes and sacrifice a bit on D

and the reality is, we're not even talking 5 mpg. we're talking 0 mpg unless disaster strikes.

"ok kid, we know there are several programs out there where you can get actual court time in what may well be the very last year of high level basketball in your life, but you can come here and likely never play at all after december, just so we can feel a little better about our depth situation."

and the reality is, we're not even talking 5 mpg. we're talking 0 mpg unless disaster strikes.

"ok kid, we know there are several programs out there where you can get actual court time in what may well be the very last year of high level basketball in your life, but you can come here and likely never play at all after december, just so we can feel a little better about our depth situation."
Sold...where do I sign?
:rolling:

That's not necessarily true. That hasn't been the experience with any grad transfers we've taken so far. All have played. Even Geno got 5-10 minutes in the short time he was here.

Marek is the third center. That small ball lineup should destroy teams on offense. All reports are Sidibe is getting healthy anyway. We aren't taking anyone else.

True, and as a fall back option -- we could do worse.

The issue will be if [heaven forbid] one of our starting forwards sustains an injury. If Sidibe or Chukwu gets injured, it is far from ideal, but at least Marek has shown that he can handle the backup role against most opponents. But if either Brissett or Marek misses time, it would have a more impactful trickle down effect on depth.

True, and as a fall back option -- we could do worse.

The issue will be if [heaven forbid] one of our starting forwards sustains an injury. If Sidibe or Chukwu gets injured, it is far from ideal, but at least Marek has shown that he can handle the backup role against most opponents. But if either Brissett or Marek misses time, it would have a more impactful trickle down effect on depth.

True, but - no Grad transfer wants to come to SU to be catastrophic injury backup insurance.
They want a clear path to PT.

So, we won’t be getting one most likely.

AWIII, JG and Geno all saw a real opportunity for PT and to highlight their skills at the highest level of college hoops.

(Geno just didn’t stick around long enough for his opportunity to fully present itself. I wonder if he’s still kicking himself for bailing when he did?)

I wonder the staff looks into a regular transfer if there are any available? Roster is set though

True, but - no Grad transfer wants to come to SU to be catastrophic injury backup insurance.
They want a clear path to PT.

So, we won’t be getting one most likely.

AWIII, JG and Geno all saw a real opportunity for PT and to highlight their skills at the highest level of college hoops.

(Geno just didn’t stick around long enough for his opportunity to fully present itself. I wonder if he’s still kicking himself for bailing when he did?)

Look, in the main I agree. But I push back on people painting with such a wide brush. "All" or "no grad transfer..."

The vast majority are chasing PT. Others might be interested in an educational opportunity, or have other reasons for wanting to play at a specific school [i.e,. playing alongside siblings, etc.].

Chance are, there aren't good candidates to come in and fill a role, with virtually no PT available. That certainly is not how the coaching staff would pitch it, however.

I think we would be better served going after a regular transfer then a grad transfer. They would provide depth the following year, learn the zone while sitting out and improve their game by practicing against quality competition every day. We have had wonderful success with regular transfers going back many many years (LeRon Ellis was the first of my era).

I wonder the staff looks into a regular transfer if there are any available? Roster is set though

If the right fit is out there, they should.

If they feel really good about the '19 class then maybe not but... experience never hurts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom