2018 Orangeyes Open Summary | Syracusefan.com

2018 Orangeyes Open Summary

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I was privileged to play in the tournament yesterday. We had a good turnout (12 teams), with many others joining us later for dinner. Niko Taumarian, who was close to Dan and a very good friend to him, played in the tournament and served as the emcee afterwards. He gave a great speech reminding us of what a good person Dan was and how we all should try and emulate his positive attitude, take the time to make others feel important and welcome and enjoy the time that we have.

Eric Israel, the community director of the Chron's and Colitis Foundation of Western and Central NY was the featured speaker. He talked about his son, who has the disease, reminded us all of the challenges of living with it and why it is so important to raise money to find ways to fight it and make it go away.

The event raised $5239, the second greatest amount raised in the 5 years we have been doing the tournament.

It was a weird day. There was times the sun came out and it was hot and humid, but it was mostly cloudy and overcast. It rained a few times but never hard and never for very long. But it was really windy, and at times was what we golfers call a 3 club wind.

Thanks to Niko for getting some great gifts for the silent auction, thanks to cto for again donating her fabled courtside seats for a game for a prize (it always earns the most money of any donated gifts. OrangeOnions and the rest of the Johnson family did a great job getting donated gifts for auction and Brian and his family did a wonderful job running the tournament. The Johnson family has become a well oiled machine running this thing and is impressive to see/ His daughter Sophia is also the cutest ticket number reader ever.

Jim Noble and his crew had Foxfire in great shape and Pasta's on the Green, the restaurant located above the clubhouse where dinner was held, did a fine job preparing dinner and hosting us.

Jen Buck won the ladies long drive and closest to the pin. Sixteen year old Ian Rivers won the long drive, leaving his drive about 15 yards short of the green on # 10 (the whites are listed at 359 on the Foxfire scorecard). I don't remember the name of the guy who won the men's closest to the pin but I know he placed his shot inside 3 feet on a day where the wind was gusting strongly in every direction. Impressive.

Carlos Oquendo's team won the team competition, going 16 under, which I believe is a new record for the event.

Lots of people showed up from the board, too many to mention, but I will give give a shout out to RayInVa and his wife Carol for coming up all the way from Virginia. Awesome. We appreciate everyone who came or otherwise supported the cause!

A good time was had by all. We have penciled in August 3rd, 2019 as the date for the tournament next year. I hope many of you can make it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom