2019-20 Season Opener: Virginia on November 6 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2019-20 Season Opener: Virginia on November 6

ACC is using the start of the season to to get interest in the ACCN thus that is why everyone minus Duke will be playing conference games.
I expect it to occur for atleast a few years.
We will have 20 conference games now.
Thus only 8 nonconference slots and a a holiday tournament.

Yikes. We're going to have to really be smart when scheduling OOC. I believe next year's is already set, no? 20 conference games in the ACC? We could be 12-8, 11-9, 10-10 for the next few years.

If they lose all 3 of their top players, this is literally the perfect time to play them.

I agree. It will be nice to grab an early Q1 win and start Virginia off at 0-1.

I think it will help us to play them early rather than later in the season and once they have figured out their rotations and played a bunch together in their pack line D.

I think element of surprise will be more on our side with all the new offensive pieces being added. Where Virginia will have to rely too much on Guy and Jerome if both stick around. Hunter leaving will be a huge loss for them as well, and not sure if they have someone even close to his skill level to replace him with. Will they have a guy that can create his own shot vs the zone? They will need Guy to go off for 9+ three's to have a chance.

More fodder for the mid major lovers to say they deserve an ncaa bid. Teams, like us, will have more losses now with a 20 game conference schedule. I wouldn’t schedule anything tough in non con.

Whew. Glad to see Duke still gets to be on ESPN and doesn’t get relegated down to the lower network. I was worried.

Also Duke doesn't have to open with a conference game. I really hate this league

I like it to be honest. Much better way to open the season. If we win we bank a good win and this game follows a blowout of BC football in the dome the previous Saturday. Going to be an exciting week next Autumn.

Season opener. Student support will be sky high.
I think the crowd will be weekend level.

It's also on a football bye week, so that may help.

ACC is using the start of the season to to get interest in the ACCN thus that is why everyone minus Duke will be playing conference games.
I expect it to occur for atleast a few years.
We will have 20 conference games now.
Thus only 8 nonconference slots and a a holiday tournament.
You can make educated guesses on a lot of things the ACCN will do based on what the SECN has been doing. But not here. The SEC did not go to a 20 game schedule when the SECN came on line.

The ACCN has a lot of high quality inventory to feature until the end of November. They will feature 3 games most weekend. They can fill in on weekdays with replay of those football games and other ACC Olympic sports. Soccer will be a big focus. Field hockey should get some love. Maybe some cross country too. The ACC is terrific in all these sports. But what are they going to show on weekends once football ends?

Soccer and field hockey also end. I wonder if they will reserve a conference game or two each weekend in December to keep the eyeballs on the ACCN during what is a natural lull in the action? They could add in some non-conference games too but most will be boring mismatches. Conference games will be more interesting and get better ratings.

The late winter and wearily spring can feature basketball and golf, with lots of top quality baseball and lacrosse filling in all the way to May.

You can make educated guesses on a lot of things the ACCN will do based on what the SECN has been doing. But not here. The SEC did not go to a 20 game schedule when the SECN came on line.

The ACCN has a lot of high quality inventory to feature until the end of November. They will feature 3 games most weekend. They can fill in on weekdays with replay of those football games and other ACC Olympic sports. Soccer will be a big focus. Field hockey should get some love. Maybe some cross country too. The ACC is terrific in all these sports. But what are they going to show on weekends once football ends?

Soccer and field hockey also end. I wonder if they will reserve a conference game or two each weekend in December to keep the eyeballs on the ACCN during what is a natural lull in the action? They could add in some non-conference games too but most will be boring mismatches. Conference games will be more interesting and get better ratings.

The late winter and wearily spring can feature basketball and golf, with lots of top quality baseball and lacrosse filling in all the way to May.
ACC went to 20 games to get more Syracuse-Duke
Virginia-Syracuse
Notre Dame-North Carolina
Virginia-North Carolina
Louisville-Duke
Louisville-North Carolina
Matchups on the yearly schedule.
In the SEC it’s Kentucky vs. everyone.
Alabama-Auburn college basketball doesn’t matter outside the 100 fans between the two.

The ACC went to 20 games because ESPN told them to do it for their conference inventory.
The SEC started it’s network off with a top 10 football game between Texas A&M and South Carolina.
The SECN was all about football. For it to launch successfully they needed football fans to want it.

The basketball in the conference had been atrocious until ESPN had them hire Mike Tranghese to help the basketball become better.

The ACCN is network isn’t going to be a football first network it is probably basketball and football pretty close. To get those basketball fans to force their cable providers to get the ACCN you put premier basketball games to start the year and want those fans to get ACCN.
If the SEC cared about basketball like it does football I am sure they would have done the same thing.

Not saying it's going to happen, but has SYR ever lost a home opener? It had to be in the 1950s, I think.

Not saying it's going to happen, but has SYR ever lost a home opener? It had to be in the 1950s, I think.
2004 banner raising game.
We lost to UNC-Charlotte some kid made like or 7/8 3’s and beat us.
We also lost Melo’s Debut at MSG in 2003 to Memphis.

Yep. Charlotte after we won the National Title in 2003. Brendan Plavich.

2004 banner raising game.
We lost to UNC-Charlotte some kid made like or 7/8 3’s and beat us.
We also lost Melo’s Debut at MSG in 2003 to Memphis.
I remember that now. I'll have to go to the media guide to find out the last time before that. I have to figure late 50s or early 60s.

11/16/1994 we lost to GW, however the game was at Manley.
I remember going to that game. I know we lost but didn't we have a late game comeback? Did the game go to overtime?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom