2019 College Crosse Bracketology 2.0: Entering Conference Play | Syracusefan.com

2019 College Crosse Bracketology 2.0: Entering Conference Play

CC_2.0.jpg

Last Four In: Syracuse, Penn State, Penn, Cornell
First Four Out: Denver, Johns Hopkins, Army West Point, Lehigh

Cornell is a good guess.

The NCAA turns into Scrooge McDuck when setting up the lacrosse tourney. Given the spread of the sport they really need to put away the transportation restrictions, but we aren't their yet.

My guess is Sunday night against Cornell if we end up just above .500, or Hobart is we go on a run.

Question: Does the NCAA get any revenue out of the first round games? If so, we will be seeded and a home game for sure if we are in the tourney.

Boys better learn how to show up in the first quarter or we are headed for a quick exit. One goal games are fun to watch, but it's not how we'll get to Philly.

Is this a serious projection?

Penn State is a last 4 in and playing Yale second round? lol

Penn State and Yale have been running top5 all season long.

I do have to give the author big credit for being able to come up with a fairly reasonable bracket that fits the travel rules. Our board is hoping against hope we end up 4-0 but fully realize losing to dook is more likely. Our swapping spots with them in the bracket wouldn't change anything; two teams from Philly would still have to travel south by bus.

I still think that Denver owns the Big East and will most likely win the Big East Tournament. I also think that Notre Dame has been a little overrated this year. Their offense lacks firepower outside of Costabille. I guess we will see this weekend if that is true. I also don’t understand why Penn State is number 8 they seem to be a top 5 team for sure.

I enjoy bracketology a lot, but I always wonder why they analyze how the seeds would be broken down "if the season ended today". The season isn't ending today. Why not try and predict how the season is going to end and then rank the teams? Penn State still has to play Maryland and OSU - will they stay at eight if they split that series? If they win out? If they lose both? These games will be played, why pretend they won't be?

As for Denver, they may own the Big East in the regular season but have lost in the tournament the last two years? Maybe they take it more seriously with a trip to the NCAAs on the line but I don't think I would automatically put them in.

I always wonder why they analyze how the seeds would be broken down "if the season ended today". The season isn't ending today. Why not try and predict how the season is going to end and then rank the teams? Penn State still has to play Maryland and OSU - will they stay at eight if they split that series? If they win out? If they lose both? These games will be played, why pretend they won't be?

Why not do both? I agree that projections have value, and certainly matchups of ranked teams will influence the brackets. But the "if the season ended today" approach has value, too. It's a snapshot of what the matchups would be like -- most people pay close attention to a conference or a couple of teams, but have little idea about who's likely to emerge from the five or six lesser conferences. It also gives readers an idea of whose spots are shaky, and which teams have work to do. And it's especially valuable because of the NCAA's travel guidelines, which makes brackets hard to project for all but the most die-hard of fans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom