The Mayor of Dewitt

Second Team
M-Brendan Curry, Sr., Syracuse

Third Team
D-Nick Mellen, RJr., Syracuse

Honorable Mention
SSDM-Peter Dearth, Jr., Syracuse
LSM-Brett Kennedy, RSo., Syracuse

And the love fest for the two Duke guys continues. Team defense wise Duke is excellent but I've seen Solomon, who is not the worlds best dodger, get by VanRaphorst and score at least twice over the last two years and I have seen Giles Harris both get beat and clearly miss slides when playing us. To still have both of them above chris fake and that guy from Towson who is killing it, not to mention Mellen, is getting ridiculous.

Also how on earth is High Point's goalie the third team all American when he is 15th in save percentage? Stats aren't everything but come on now. It's not like high point has been still doing well since they beat Duke and uva. They have lost to 2 unranked teams with losing records since then and rarely do they hold teams to under 10. Two good games gives you an AA spot no matter what?

Then in faceoffs, where percentage should be almost the only factor, they have the penn st guy Arceri who is 11th in faceoff percentage! What a bunch of nonsense. Phaup legitimately deserves a nod in the honorable mentions as he is fourth in face off percentage. Instead there takin up space for a guy who was a well known name last year but is not nearly as good as other potential picks. They did that with Williams when he struggled as a senior and I didn't like it then either.

The love fest for the Duke guys continues. Team defense wise Duke is excellent but I've seen Solomon, who is not the world's best dodger, get by VanRaphorst and score at least twice over the last two years and I have seen Giles Harris both get beat and clearly miss slides when playing us. To still have both of them above chris fake and that guy from Towson who is killing it, not to mention Mellen, is getting ridiculous.

Go back about four years, and voters were doing this with ND. Kavanagh'd get a first team spot when Berg and Brown and Glesener and King and Donahue were around -- maybe folks figured that 50 points at ND was like 70 or 80 anywhere else because Corrigan didn't run-n-gun. Or maybe they liked the way he rode. Same deal with Perkovic. He was big and bad and scary and seemed to play "up" against SU, but IDK that his results said he was one of the three best mids in D1.

To be fair, we've drawn some benefit of voters liking players from big programs in past years -- no way Salcido AND Mariano both were better than Currier in '17, when he led D1 mids in just about everything, plus took 200 faceoffs and won more than 55 percent. I though Salcido was *slightly* better than Mariano, but that voters probably wrote Mariano in (all those big goals!) then said "but Sergio is such a great story..."

There seems to be a script the voters follow: Pick no more than ONE great under-the-radar guy/school at each position, then fill the team with guys from schools with big reputations. Voters also favor defenders who play loud; Mellen wields a scalpel and makes guys disappear--he doesn't blow them up. To be fair, though, we've seen him miss slides this year (Notre Dame?) too.

I also think the mid-season voting is tough because it's hard to have seen much of the Lehighs and 'Novas or Cornells, and if you see them outside, their offensive guys might be slowed by crappy weather/fields.

On defense this year, they're right to have Surdyk on the first team, but because he's there, Chick gets the shaft (pun intended) despite again being one of the best takeaway guys in D1. I'd probably go Surdyk, Chick, Giles-Harris on the first team. Second would be Mellen, the Cornell kid and Grill (underrated, wicked small, doesn't get much help and plays in a market where the sport gets little attention). Van Raaphorst and Fake are third team; it feels like Fake isn't quite kicking butt like he did as a frosh.

At midfield, I'd love to see Curry on the first team, but Aitken just edges him out. Dox continues to get scoring chances, while Curry's had some consistency issues like one would expect in his first season as a go-to guy. I didn't see the Hobart game, but in the two previous games he was not the best midfielder on his own team, IMO. (Curry-Trimboli-Dordevic could be scary good in 2020, and Buttermore-Lipka-Mangan/Quinn is like a decent second unit.)

Finally (apologies for the length) it's good to see Dearth and Kennedy get noticed. Dearth has brought size and athleticism to an SSM spot that often felt like the speedy guys are too small and the bigger guys are too slow. That group could be quite strong next year with a first pairing of Dearth and Dami (please tell me he's eligible but decided to redshirt), and Helmer and Barlow with some experience under their belts.

Curry, Mellen, Dearth and Kennedy are all deserving and more. Congrats. Present and future bright.

Mellen is a better on ball defender than overhyped Giles Harris who is mediocre off ball. BS irks nm

Trimboli does not receive proper kudos from us or others . Media view may have been slanted by the constant criticism from our own Cuse fanbase about his PAST propensity to shoot high to stick . Perhaps if Cusers applauded him as much for his adjustments and production than he would have received proper recognition .

Trimboli has scored 15 goals in his last six games mostly against poles. That seems to have escaped many.

Scanlan on the 1st team as a frosh. What could’ve been :(

89EB38A3-276F-442C-A7FB-5671DC8AADD4.gif