2019 Open Championship | Syracusefan.com

2019 Open Championship

jncuse

I brought the Cocaine to the White House
Will certainly play different than last year which was fast, but had long wimpy rough because it was so dry. Much lusher this year.

Putting money on Koepka. Have avoided it in the past, but why not. Koepka and his caddy know the course quite well. He is coming in to the Open on great form (for him) a 65th, and a 57th place. For Brooks that is a good trend heading into the majors.

I'm going with my boy Mcilroy. He is playing great this year and he is way overdue.

I'm going with my boy Mcilroy. He is playing great this year and he is way overdue.
Ice cold take. This course is throwing up some ugly scores.

Great start by Rory - I don't think he can handle the added pressure of being the local hero. Tough spot for him. I also think he tends to play well in the majors now when he is safely out of contention.

Unfortunately it's true, he tends to shoots himself out of a major in the first two rounds and then burns up the last two to get a top 10 without ever being in contention. But I think that will change at some point; hopefully, this week.

Great start by Rory - I don't think he can handle the added pressure of being the local hero. Tough spot for him. I also think he tends to play well in the majors now when he is safely out of contention.

Unfortunately it's true, he tends to shoots himself out of a major in the first two rounds and then burns up the last two to get a top 10 without ever being in contention. But I think that will change at some point; hopefully, this week.

That's ARod level stat padding.

Damn! I just watched his first hole; I didn't realize your were being sarcastic. He's almost out of the tournament before he gets to the first green! Sad start for the home town boy.

What is with the lost balls? Graham Mac got a brutal break and Duval...come on.

Rory might make the cut. Took some action on him last night at 300-1 to win, and 60-1 to finish top 6. (not taking major money here - $10 total)

-5 through 12 holes, and +3 for the tournament. The cut line is probably going to come in at +2, maybe sticks at +1.

If he makes the cut, he could be 9 shots behind the leader. And if the early times get good weather compared to the end groups, he may not be that far out come Sunday.. or he shoots a 77.

Great round by Lowry... 63, (i think the best score all week otherwise is 65), and he will open the last round as a 4 shot leader.

As for me, the after-effects of waking up early to wathc some golf on Thursday and Friday wore me down today. I basically slept through the whole play today.

Great round by Lowry... 63, (i think the best score all week otherwise is 65), and he will open the last round as a 4 shot leader.

As for me, the after-effects of waking up early to wathc some golf on Thursday and Friday wore me down today. I basically slept through the whole play today.
Conditions for tomorrow look to be bad, and might be historically awful. It could be a very interesting final round for all involved.

There are some guys who can dominate a tournament and it would keep my attention the entire time. No offense to Shane, but he's not one of them. He played great. Just not a name who keeps me glued to the tv.

Storybook nightmare start for Rory, storybook ending for Shane - not surprised and happy to see it. He looked like a player at the 2016 US Open and now he is. Fleetwood is a player who I expect to win multiple majors.

Pretty good showing by Brooks, the uber Andy North of our times. His run of major success will run out at some point; just like Rory's, Spieth's, and many others. If he doesn't start winning regular events, it will probably happen sooner rather than later.

Storybook nightmare start for Rory, storybook ending for Shane - not surprised and happy to see it. He looked like a player at the 2016 US Open and now he is. Fleetwood is a player who I expect to win multiple majors.

Pretty good showing by Brooks, the uber Andy North of our times. His run of major success will run out at some point; just like Rory's, Spieth's, and many others. If he doesn't start winning regular events, it will probably happen sooner rather than later.
Koepka has won four of the last 11 majors played and won't turn 30 until after the 2020 Masters. Mentioning his name in the same sentence as Andy North is quite a stretch.

Congrats to Shane Lowry. It's absolutely magical that an Open Championship played in Ireland has been won by one its own native sons. I have a number of friends from Ireland they're ecstatic. :)

Andy had 1 reg and 2 maj
Brooks has 1 reg and 4 maj

I think the uber Andy shoe fits Brooks quite well as of now. I expect he will go on to a better designation. Next step, carrier of Tiger's jock strap?

Koepka has won four of the last 11 majors played and won't turn 30 until after the 2020 Masters. Mentioning his name in the same sentence as Andy North is quite a stretch.

Andy had 1 reg and 2 maj
Brooks has 1 reg and 4 maj

I think the uber Andy shoe fits Brooks quite well as of now. I expect he will go on to a better designation. Next step, carrier of Tiger's jock strap?
There is a world of difference between having two major wins versus four. Even Andy North would laugh at this discussion.

Koepka has 10 top five finishes, including four wins and two seconds, in 24 major appearances to date. North had three top fives in 53 major appearances.

This is why Brooks is uber Andy North and not just plain andy north.

There is a world of difference between having two major wins versus four. Even Andy North would laugh at this discussion.

Koepka has 10 top five finishes, including four wins and two seconds, in 24 major appearances to date. North had three top fives in 53 major appearances.

Brooks and anyone who plays with JB Holmes should get strokes just for putting up with that sh-- show. Someone had a great point - want to speed up play, have TV put a stopwatch on each guy.

Tony Finau has made the top 10 of the last 8 majors.
With 3 top 5s.
Guy is consistent but just can’t get over the hump for a win.

Koepka was a bogie on 17 away from being the first golfer ever to finish in the top 3 in all four majors in the same year. Current Vegas o/u on his career majors is 7.5.

Koepka was a bogie on 17 away from being the first golfer ever to finish in the top 3 in all four majors in the same year. Current Vegas o/u on his career majors is 7.5.

7.5 would seem like any easy bet on the over.

But then again Jordan Speith and Rory Mcilroy seemed to be well on track to that number when they had 3 and 4 respectively after 2015, and have not won once since.

7.5 would seem like any easy bet on the over.

But then again Jordan Speith and Rory Mcilroy seemed to be well on track to that number when they had 3 and 4 respectively after 2015, and have not won once since.
To state the obvious, majors are hard to win.

Eight would put Koepka in rarified air with only Nicklaus, Woods, Hagen, Player and Watson.

Those with seven majors include Jones, Palmer, Snead and Sarazen. Faldo and Trevino won six. Ballesteros, Nelson and Mickelson have five. And there's a bunch of really great players with fewer than that, including the guys you mentioned above.

its gonna get harder now.. they dont have those elite guys you have to beat, but with the bomber ball they play now so many can have that 1 week of 4rds and steal one.

i was in San fran and it was tough to watch any this golf from the west coast. Sundays round started at like 2-3 AM for most of the big names and it was over before I even got my connection flight from Vegas. Had it started on time I could have enjoyed it on the plane.

hopefully by next yr the state gets gambling figured out and makes it easier to get some bets down in real time.