2021 US Open | Syracusefan.com

2021 US Open

ScrabbCuse

Starter
Was at the Open today and saw Tsitsipas go down to the young 18 year old Alcaraz in a 5th set tiebreak. Carlos Alcaraz looks like the real deal. A lot of these next gen guys haven’t lived up to expectations but this kid seems to have the mental poise down in addition to having the skills needed to compete. The atmosphere of the match was ridiculous for a 3rd round match. Felt more like a Final inside Ashe. 95% of the crowd was against Tsitsipas too and not surprising with all the delays he’s had during matches.

Wasn’t at the night session but Osaka went down to an 18 year old also. Terrible day to be a 3 seed but a great day to be an 18 year old.

Let's go Leylah Fernandez!

EDIT - And Felix!

2 Canadians in the Semi's. I doubt that has ever happened before at any major.

Last edited:
Let's go Leylah Fernandez!

EDIT - And Felix!

2 Canadians in the Semi's. I doubt that has ever happened before at any major.
And Emma Raducanu who plays in the quarters tomorrow was born in Toronto. Plays for the UK now but I’ll count it.

Ah man I thought this was gonna be the blonde beer chug

This girl Raducanu is having quite a run. First qualifier ever to reach the semis of the US Open and she hasn’t dropped a set yet. Destroyed the Olympic gold medalist Bencic today. We are a round away from having an all teenage final between Raducanu and Fernandez, both relatively unknown before this tournament. None of the five remaining women have won a slam before so another first time champ coming up.

Way to go Leylah.
Can there be two Canadian US open champs in 3 years?

I don't like watching tennis and typically do not watch it for long. But this match held my attention for the 2 hours+ ... many small changes in momentum that you thought meant something in terms of the match, and they would quickly get reversed.

I know there aren’t too many tennis fans on this site but the women’s tournament has been an absolute treat to watch. The two women in the finals have been incredible all tournament.

Emma Raducanu is a qualifier playing in only her second major ever! Born in Toronto and living in the UK since the age of 2, she’s won three qualifying matches and six main draw matches so far and won all of them in straight sets. She’s the first qualifier in history to make a major final. All this at 18 years old.

Her opponent Leylah Fernandez is a 19 year old Canadian who has never made it past the 3rd round of a major before and has gotten wins against Aryna Sabalenka and Naomi Osaka to get here(2nd and 3rd seeds).

Looking forward to the final on Saturday. Crowd has really gotten behind these two.

Congrats to Medvedev on his first major title! He played as lights out as you can against Djokovic. No calendar grand slam but I have a feeling major title 21 will be coming soon for Djokovic. Looking forward to 2022 and seeing if Nadal comes back and if Federer throws his hat into the ring one last time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom