2023 MLB Rule Changes | Syracusefan.com

2023 MLB Rule Changes

SWC75

Bored Historian

To me, it's a further watering down of the schedule and MLB turns itself into the NBA, where divisions, pennants and rivalries mean little until the post season. If it's Tuesday, this much be Cleveland. I'd rather add two expansion teams and convert to four 8 team, geographically defined divisions with the winners to meet in the playoffs. You'd play everybody in your division 14 times and be paired up with one of the other divisions on a rotating basis so you'd play everyone withing 3 years, not every year. The playoffs would have the best teams and get right down to business after an old-fashioned pennant race that would dominate the headlines in August and September. There'd be no cold weather baseball.

I'll file that under 'N' for "not happening". :(

I'd prefer to play 2 extra innings of real baseball before going to these rules, but they didn't ask me.

anything to get less players hurt over the course of season is ok with me now. 7 innings games would be fine as well. bring back the CG as a thing.

Curious on the fan reaction to the changes. I like the shift rule change a lot. Makes sense.

Same for size of the base and the engagements limit on pitchers.

As for the pitch clock itself - I haven't made many triple a games, went to a couple last year and I was torn. I never felt the games dragged on before- the slower pace made for the ballpark experience given it is a little slower than going to hoops, football, soccer or hockey. Always enjoyed that part and having more time to enjoy concessions as well. Things felt rushed to me while at a game. As for watching on TV, I can see it. Will be interesting to see..

I want whatever leads to more guys being able to hit.

I never was too excited about Rob Deer or Pete Incavaglia. But that’s what most of the league is now. Give me Tony Gwynn, John Olerud, Mark Grace, etc. These guys who hit .200 and whiff 150 times a year are a tough watch,

“Putting the ball in play” is a bigger issue than “pace of play” to
me, when it comes to issues like boredom and excitement.

People didn’t complain about baseball being boring in the 80s, when batting averages and stolen bases were way up, did they? Could Ozzie Smith exist today? Would his launch angle keep him out? I want the ball in play, I want to watch fielders make plays, I want to watch great hitters spray the ball everywhere, stolen bases, hit and runs, and yes….the appropriate bunt.

I'd prefer to play 2 extra innings of real baseball before going to these rules, but they didn't ask me.

I would take even one.

The problem though is managers use their bullpens so much now because they have no patience with starters due to analytics,... to the point where they don't have arms available for any length of extra innings,

30 years ago you look at rosters, even when there was not many complete games, teams used 12-13 pitchers for the entire year. Now you have teams using between 30 and 40 pitchers in a year because they have to call them up on a rotational basis because managers don't have enough with a 13 man staff.

I want whatever leads to more guys being able to hit.

I never was too excited about Rob Deer or Pete Incavaglia. But that’s what most of the league is now. Give me Tony Gwynn, John Olerud, Mark Grace, etc. These guys who hit .200 and whiff 150 times a year are a tough watch,

“Putting the ball in play” is a bigger issue than “pace of play” to
me, when it comes to issues like boredom and excitement.

People didn’t complain about baseball being boring in the 80s, when batting averages and stolen bases were way up, did they? Could Ozzie Smith exist today? Would his launch angle keep him out? I want the ball in play, I want to watch fielders make plays, I want to watch great hitters spray the ball everywhere, stolen bases, hit and runs, and yes….the appropriate bunt.

I do agree it would be better if they could get more balls in play -- which is made worse by the additional number of pitches that are taken today (in the hunt for a walk, or your pitch, and more swings and misses), and the fact that the time between each pitch is longer today.

Ozzie would be able to survive today - low power, "average" batting average, but drew a fair amount of walks. There are still a fair number of primarily defensive oriented shortstops in the league so he would be the best of that group. He wouldn't be viewed as a great player perhaps.

His OBP was more acceptable than his batting average... back then the focus was more on AVG, while the focus today now is more on OBP.

I got used to it and don't miss 15 inning games.

The Shift: I didn't see why the defense can't align any way they want to do, like defenses in other sports. i guess the comparison is the football rule about how many players have to be on the line and who is eligible, etc.

Pitch Clock - like it. I don't like pitchers and hitters dawdling.

Pickoffs - just make them balls. They are out of the strike zone.

Bigger bases - OK.

Position players pitching - Yeech. Anything they can do to limit it if fine with me.

Overall, a lot of common sense.

I got used to it and don't miss 15 inning games.
Same with me. I'd just prefer it like soccer or hockey, where you still have a bit of normal overtime play before you go to penalty shots or starting with runner or 2nd. But I get the overall point of what they are trying to accomplish, which is a good thing.

I just wish my Braves would be able to do better in extra innings than they have the last 2 seasons, so I am a little biased. :)

Last edited:
The Shift: I didn't see why the defense can't align any way they want to do, like defenses in other sports. i guess the comparison is the football rule about how many players have to be on the line and who is eligible, etc.

Pitch Clock - like it. I don't like pitchers and hitters dawdling.

Pickoffs - just make them balls. They are out of the strike zone.

Bigger bases - OK.

Position players pitching - Yeech. Anything they can do to limit it if fine with me.

Overall, a lot of common sense.
The shift is to help the hitters who are unable to adjust. As far as pickoffs, I think maybe limit the number, but I'm not sure I agree with calling them balls. As long as stolen bases are legal, I don't think you can completely ban the defense from trying to prevent them with pickoff throws.

Agree with the rest of the changes, particularly the pitch clock. Let's keep things moving.

Last edited:
Banning the shift to me is like when the NBA used to have the illegal defense rule. Dumb and eventually done away with. Line up where you want as a fielder, "hit 'em where they ain't".

the issue with the shift is that they also pitch to the shift so hitting a MLB pitch thrown to the correct spot is pretty hard to make it go against a shift unless you are really elite.

I dont have a problem with a guy playing 2nd base 100 ft into the outfield though.

Its lack back in the day when softball leagues guys had no idea how to hit the ball the opposite field and teams would shift them to death.. effective but ugly to watch.

I think teams should be able to use the shift as much as they want but, at the same time, I didn't notice until now that the 'the leaguewide batting average was down to .243 in 2022'. That's awful.

I thought the leaguewide ERA has been climbing steadily for a while so I assumed batting averages were up but I guess I've just been watching too many Red Sox-Yankees games.