Men's Soccer - 2024 Spring Soccer | Syracusefan.com

Men's Soccer 2024 Spring Soccer

Syracuse has played a series of exhibition games in the spring at least the last couple of seasons.

I believe they have played Marist at an indoor facility in Albany, close to the midway point between the schools, in February of 2022 and 2023.

Can't find anything on the 2024 SU men's soccer exhibition schedule but not knowing anything, I am wondering if they had a scrimmage in Albany. If so, it was probably against Marist.

Hopefully more info will be forthcoming. I understand the reluctance to give the results since it was an exhibition but at least let us know when the games are and who they are playing.

Syracuse has played a series of exhibition games in the spring at least the last couple of seasons.

I believe they have played Marist at an indoor facility in Albany, close to the midway point between the schools, in February of 2022 and 2023.

Can't find anything on the 2024 SU men's soccer exhibition schedule but not knowing anything, I am wondering if they had a scrimmage in Albany. If so, it was probably against Marist.

Hopefully more info will be forthcoming. I understand the reluctance to give the results since it was an exhibition but at least let us know when the games are and who they are playing.

It looks like they're scrimmaging UAlbany at the Ensley Center.

GHRlR91XoAASBhL

It looks like they're scrimmaging UAlbany at the Ensley Center.

GHRlR91XoAASBhL
Agree it was played at the Ensley Center.

Thinking the opponent is probably Canisius though. Right colors. They have an African American on the roster that wears #20. And Syracuse apparently has a good relationship with that school. We played them in an exhibition last fall and I believe we took a player of two from them in the portal.

Hopefully some info will eventually be released. In the last couple of years, they have played around 4 spring exhibitions and have gone to Toronto.

would expect to see more reports of friendlies through March and early April.

So it looks to me as though they probably played a series of mini games, and these were the 3 sides Syracuse fielded.

Out of curiosity, here is how many sides each player played...

Sam Coss
1​
Andre-Cutler-DeJesus
2​
Sam Layton
3​
Ezra Widman
1​
Nathan Scott
2​
Elton Chifamba
2​
Nicholas Kaloukian
2​
Ernest Bawa
1​
Carlos Zambrano
2​
Gavin Wigg
3​
Ben Rosenblatt
2​
Michal Gradus
2​
Michael Acquah
1​
Daniel Burko
1​
Trevor Carabin
1​
Gabe Threadgold
3​
Aboykye Bikyeombe
2​
Tomas Hut
1​
Jaheim Wickham
1​

I suspect it means nothing. If it did, a key returning starter like Kaloukian would surely have played for all 3 sides.

Jason Smith didn't play at all. He started last year as the starter. 4 keepers, 3 games. Only 3 can start. Was he the last guy out or is he injured? No idea.

Of this group, I would guess Kaloukian, Wigg and Wickham are all returning starters and near locks to start.

Chifamba and Bawa played a lot at Clemson and UNC respectively and have experience (they are a junior and a senior respectively). I expect them to start or at least play a lot of minutes. Threadgold was a starter at Washington and I think will start or at least play a lot of minutes. Burko was a first team All American at the D2 level and might also end up starting.

That leaves 4 spots totally up for grabs. The spring will be big for the four transfers just mentioned. If they play well, they could solidify playing time in the fall. The spring is beg for everyone but maybe more so for these guys.

So it looks to me as though they probably played a series of mini games, and these were the 3 sides Syracuse fielded.

Out of curiosity, here is how many sides each player played...
Awesome post, and you saved me the time and energy to do exactly what you did. You the man!!

Orange 2 Rutgers 0

No programs; no announcement of goal scorers; no announcement of cards (1 card for each team both in the second half).

I would say the score reflected the overall quality of both teams. SU controlled most of the game and had more opportunities to score. SU probably should have scored at least one more. SU needs to move faster on the break and get the ball up or out to the next player on the break.

Defense played well.

Looks like some of the new players are not yet use to the speed and physicality and the pressing D that coach wants.

To my eye: Kaloukian, Widman, and Chifamba, the Clemson transfer playing in the front of the back three, all stood out. Bawa, from UNC, has some great feet, but could find teammates faster.

Good service into the box.

Could use an additional goal scorer to play off of Kaloukian, maybe Acquah or Burko, or someone with killer speed. Not sure if there is a freshman who can step in.

Wickham did not have much to do; Hut had a number of nice saves.

Rutgers almost scored in the second on a bicycle kick off a free kick rebound and then Hut’s hands and the post but were immediately called offsides

Both goals in the second half.

Starters and subs — not all and by no means 100% certain:

Kaloukian - F
Zambrano (Daytona State)
Widman
Scott (UC Riverside)
Cutler-Dejesus
Chifamba
Rosenblatt
Threadgold (Washington)
Bawa
Wigg (?)

Wickham in goal
Hut in goal in the second half

First subs:
Rosenblatt (Elon)
Layton (SIUE)

for Cutler-Dejesus
and ________

Gradus for Bawa

Later at forward:
Acquah (Lindsey Wilson College)
Burko (Lincoln Memorial) — goal scorer

Second half sub along w/ repeat of first-half subs.

Carabin

Note: At the very end Kaloukian played some midfield, like he does for his national team.

Orange 2 Rutgers 0

No programs; no announcement of goal scorers; no announcement of cards (1 card for each team both in the second half).

I would say the score reflected the overall quality of both teams. SU controlled most of the game and had more opportunities to score. SU probably should have scored at least one more. SU needs to move faster on the break and get the ball up or out to the next player on the break.

Defense played well.

Looks like some of the new players are not yet use to the speed and physicality and the pressing D that coach wants.

To my eye: Kaloukian, Widman, and Chifamba, the Clemson transfer playing in the front of the back three, all stood out. Bawa, from UNC, has some great feet, but could find teammates faster.

Could use an additional goal scorer to play off of Kaloukian, maybe Acquah or Burko, or someone with killer speed. Not sure if there is a freshman who can step in.

Rutgers almost scored in the second on a bicycle kick off a free kick rebound and then Hut’s hands and the post but were immediately called offsides

Kaloukian - F
Zambrano (Daytona State)
Widman
Scott (UC Riverside)
Cutler-Dejesus
Chifamba
Rosenblatt
Threadgold (Washington)
Bawa
Wigg (?)

Wickham in goal

First subs:
Rosenblatt (Elon)
Layton (SIUE)

for Cutler-Dejesus
and ________

Gradus for Bawa

Later at forward:

Carabin

Note: At the very end Kaloukian played some midfield, like he does for his national team.
Thanks for the great recap!

Orange 2 Rutgers 0

Defense played well.

Kaloukian - F
Zambrano (Daytona State)
Widman
Scott (UC Riverside)
Cutler-Dejesus
Chifamba
Rosenblatt
Threadgold (Washington)
Bawa
Wigg (?)

Wickham in goal

First subs:
Rosenblatt (Elon)
Layton (SIUE)

for Cutler-Dejesus
and ________

Gradus for Bawa

Later at forward:

Carabin

Rutgers has a kid that played on our national championship team a couple of years ago. He crazily transferred to rutgers after our title run.

Rutgers has a kid that played on our national championship team a couple of years ago. He crazily transferred to rutgers after our title run.
RU soccer finished 2023 with a 5-8-3 record.

Yes, it was not a good decision by Curt. Sometimes good people make bad decisions.

RU soccer finished 2023 with a 5-8-3 record.

Yes, it was not a good decision by Curt. Sometimes good people make bad decisions.

We spoke with Curt at the national championship ring ceremony. The transfer was not for the soccer program, but for personal family reasons.

We got a chance to see him for a few minutes before the game today. It was great to see him on the field again even though it was for the other team!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
We spoke with Curt at the national championship ring ceremony. The transfer was not for the soccer program, but for personal family reasons.

We got a chance to see him for a few minutes before the game today. It was great to see him on the field again even though it was for the other team!
Same hair style. Nice! Seems like a great kid. I hope RU has a good year in 2024.

Nice recap ar inj.

We left at the half. Spent too much time out in the cold yesterday tailgating for the lax & spring football game. Nice to see familiar faces once again with our SU soccer family. Saw at least 5 players from the National Championship team on hand and like Headmaster9 mentioned, we had the opportunity to say hello to Curt, who played an integral role in the National Championship run. I'll always remember his corner kick that curled in the net during the NCAA game against Vermont. As Headmaster9 said, his transfer to Rutgers was the right decision for him, he is happy where he is, and I'm happy for him.

As for the game, ar inj summed it up nicely. Only thing I'll add was that Gavin Wigg was not dressed for today's scrimmage, but was on the sidelines watching the game.

It will be nice to catch up with the team during their annual golf tournament on July 27th @ Pompey Club.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom