2025 portal usage | Syracusefan.com

2025 portal usage

orangemass

All American
Do u think Fran will pound it again? Based on the number of 2025 recruits (currently 28) wondering if the numbers will allow
It? I think we will need to
Bring in an experienced qb and some difference makers at lb and de.

I think Fran will be more selective in the portal, meaning studs come on in. If you are a guy looking for a new place to try and prove himself, we will be less likely to bring that guy in over an incoming freshman with talent that we like.

Diggs, Cinco, Barron, Wax, McCord, and 3 OL starters are listed as seniors, and I'd assume OG goes to the draft. That's a lot of spots to fill internally, even with improved recruiting.

We could also see ~35 players churn out of the program this off-season, be it graduation, draft, underclassmen looking for something else, or former Dino players that stayed on but have been passed by with the new staff.

QB. Kids don’t have to wait their turn anymore. Some stud kid who’s sitting behind another stud kid (see Texas) can see what this offense can do for him. This staff I assume will be a player in the QB portal world but they’ll have to have NIL backing on top of it.

They might hit the portal for a qb but if they don’t I would not be surprised. If they like what they got in Williams and/or Johnson they will probably look for a guy to replace some of Gadsden.

They might hit the portal for a qb but if they don’t I would not be surprised. If they like what they got in Williams and/or Johnson they will probably look for a guy to replace some of Gadsden.
Tremble

Fran has stated before that he either wants guys who are future Pros -
MCCord, Diggs, etc.
OR
Guys who can develop into those with some time under him.

You get 1-2-3 instant impact guys on each side of the ball -
Kyle & Fadil are clearly that,

And that makes it easier to recruit more of the same the following season(s).

Fran has stated before that he either wants guys who are future Pros -
MCCord, Diggs, etc.
OR
Guys who can develop into those with some time under him.

You get 1-2-3 instant impact guys on each side of the ball -
Kyle & Fadil are clearly that,

And that makes it easier to recruit more of the same the following season(s).
Let's be honest, He also took alot of portal guys that deep down we all know won't be pros.
Why are people complicating the portal? You pound the portal strategically to get players you think will improve your team. Nothing more, nothing less.

Some young guys will step up, but we do have a lot of All Conference type players graduating this year. I’m sure we’ll be active again.

We should continue to optimize the portal for a mix of talent like last year and without question we should bring in another QB and let best man win. While we might not end up with a success of the like we are seeing with McCord, we gotta push high end talent and competition at that position. We will have plenty of skill players elsewhere plus Nixon that should help drive interest.

Let's be honest, He also took alot of portal guys that deep down we all know won't be pros.
Why are people complicating the portal? You pound the portal strategically to get players you think will improve your team. Nothing more, nothing less.

I agree with this but I think Fran took more depth players this year than he will need to take in future years. He shouldn't have the need, or should have less and less need to every year. In a couple years we shouldn't need to take older depth guys that we are not likely projecting as immediate starter upgrades. Because of being a new staff this was more necessary in season 1.

I agree with this but I think Fran took more depth players this year than he will need to take in future years. He shouldn't have the need, or should have less and less need to every year. In a couple years we shouldn't need to take older depth guys that we are not likely projecting as immediate starter upgrades. Because of being a new staff this was more necessary in season 1.
You raise an interesting point but in actual practice it will take possibly 3-4 years to clear the entire roster of inferior players and until the younger more talented players mature to the level top programs have. I just don't think the process mentioned in your post happens in one year. And quite frankly we all want to believe Fran Brown and SU Football is now magically immune to the talent skimming of the portal but we will in fact lose some top players to top programs where we will need to immediately replace by doing the same to other programs through the magic of the portal.

I don't think the process happens in one year either, i said about a couple years and it will gradually get better. We won't be immune to the talent skimming but Fran will lose less than most, because the players love him, trust him and love the culture he has instilled. And when we occasionally do lost a top player I think he'll be able to replace with really solid portal talent himself as that means there is a whole for a starting spot. We just have to keep on executing on the field.

Definitely bring in another quality QB, if nothing else for competition. Skill set positions too. Mine the 4 and 5 stars that aren't playing at Georgia, Bama, Texas A&M, and Ohio St again

I would always expect Fran to be hitting the portal based on needs.
We are thin at LB, Safety, Need OL and DL depth.
Absolutely. We will need to continue to bring in top 10 transfer portal classes on an annual basis if we want to be a contender going forward.

Do u think Fran will pound it again? Based on the number of 2025 recruits (currently 28) wondering if the numbers will allow
It? I think we will need to
Bring in an experienced qb and some difference makers at lb and de.

I think he will. Fran Brown is an ace recruiter, and the objective is to elevate the talent level on the team.

The Portal is a mechanism to do so, so he will. Plus, there's always tons of attrition, and even more so now that player movement is far less restricted. So I expect to have at least a dozen players bail after the season, which will create open scholarships to fill.

Between the portal and regular recruiting, I expect Fran to look to upgrade the talent and add impact players however possible.

As far as QB for 2025 goes, I’m thinking that somewhere in the SEC a fan base/coach will become disenchanted with Beck or Dart or Iamaleava or similar after 1 loss and we’ll be the lucky landing spot! It happened last year, why can’t it happen again? (Wink wink)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom