3 Big East teams in the elite 8 | Syracusefan.com

3 Big East teams in the elite 8

Michigan St. has done a majority of the heavy lifting in hoops for the past decade, but just like in football, Michigan and tOSU have to carry the B1G's water for the rest of 2013.

I like to think of it as two new ACC & one new BE teams, but I take your point!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SUck it B1G

When the Big East was clearly the best conference in the country (pretty much every year for last 5 until this year) I always thought it was silly for folks to claim that was not the case but a few close games in the tourney went the other way, or went in favor of another conference. In other words, the tournament is telling as to relative conferenence strength, of course, but the tournament is also largely about matchups and also luck plays a big factor (see Marquette v Davidson). And the regular season is telling as well.

With all due respect to the big east homers, and I am one as much of one as anyone, the Big Ten was the best conference in the nation this year and this tournament has not changed that. Anyone who has watched a lot of college basketball this year and is able to look at things objectively has to agree with that.

When the Big East was clearly the best conference in the country (pretty much every year for last 5 until this year) I always thought it was silly for folks to claim that was not the case but a few close games in the tourney went the other way, or went in favor of another conference. In other words, the tournament is telling as to relative conferenence strength, of course, but the tournament is also largely about matchups and also luck plays a big factor (see Marquette v Davidson). And the regular season is telling as well.

With all due respect to the big east homers, and I am one as much of one as anyone, the Big Ten was the best conference in the nation this year and this tournament has not changed that. Anyone who has watched a lot of college basketball this year and is able to look at things objectively has to agree with that.

Good point. Also must figure first game car wrecks by BE as five went out right away, none of them really close and some of them in very ugly fashion, while a 6th was very fortunate to win its first game against a 14 seed.

the no. 5 big east team just destroyed the no. 1 big 10 team

3 ACC teams and 1 Big East team in the Elite Eight.

I like that! The power shift to the ACC is on. Three teams adding strength and depth this fall and Louisville joining next year. I would not be surprised if the ACC starts getting the 8-10 annual bids to the dance.

Actually, think "old school"/original big east and there is only 1!

This is exactly right. I mean, if you were piling on the "BE was overrated" bandwagon in 2011 then I guess you can claim we're awesome. But if you wanted the idiots who were driving that train to as I did, it's hard to suddenly say we're the best this year after a few close games in a single elimination tournament. That's straight out of the "casual fan discussion points" handbook imo.

Will you still make this claim today if Michigan loses? Can't make the best conference claim if you get shut out of the Final Four IMO.

Will you still make this claim today if Michigan loses? Can't make the best conference claim if you get shut out of the Final Four IMO.

Yes. The Big East still would have been the best conference by a lot in 2011 if Uconn got one less bounce to go their way vs San Diego St or Arizona.

I don't have any problem with acknowledging the BiG as the best basketball conference this year. The last time they could make that claim was in 2005 and the time before that was 2000.

It's not like it's an every year occurrence like the SEC in football. ;)

Cheers,
Neil

I like that! The power shift to the ACC is on. Three teams adding strength and depth this fall and Louisville joining next year. I would not be surprised if the ACC starts getting the 8-10 annual bids to the dance.
That will require a number of current members to wake up from a lengthy run of mediocrity. The power in the top quarter will be outstanding though no doubt.

Ascribing "The Best" is subject to an endless litany of conditional caveats. For instance, Perhaps they were the best throughout the course of the regular season; whereas The Big East was the best with respect to who did well when in mattered in the tournament.

I myself have always been a Big East h0mer. Next year I'll be a big ACC homer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom