3 pt defense | Syracusefan.com

3 pt defense

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
It is really awful. And it's gonna be our downfall unless something changes. I think JB has to extend the zone from the opening tip like 2nd half against Virginia. Gillon is too small , and I think battle still thinks this is high school. It's like he wants guys to take 3s cuz he doesn't think they'll make them. It reminds me of when I play pickup games at the park, I'll play off the guy daring him to take a long jumper cuz I know he ain't gonna make it. But guess what tyus, u ain't playing against fat Spanish 40 yr old guys named Julio, guys at this level are gonna make open 3s no matter how deep they are. I remember 1 long 3 perrentes hit battle didn't even take a step towards him. He figured it's so deep he ain't gonna make it. Get a hand up!!!

Last nite after white hit the 3 with about a minute left to put us up 1 I was positive Clemson would come down and get an open 3. Guy steps right into 1 and drills it like it's a layup. Our last defensive possession we did a great job of guarding the 3 and making them take a tough foul line jumper. Gotta do more of that, I'd rather give up a contested layup or foul line jumper than an open 3. Players today are more comfortable taking 3s than a layup.

SU's defense on the road compared to in the Dome is night and day.

Teams are shooting 3's at a 41% clip in conference.

Teams are shooting 3's at a 41% clip in conference.

If that's the entire ACC, then Jimmy's favorite D is not the point. Good shooters no matter what the D, is the point. A bit reductive, sure, but 41% is a big number. It means teams will shoot 3's no matter what. Better to put your strength against the other team's strength.

Our d would improve tenfold if we'd just stay home and not cheat. We literally just chase players around.

Our d would improve tenfold if we'd just stay home and not cheat. We literally just chase players around.

Agreed, the wings are the worst for that, and Roberson chief among them. He'll often stand out on the off-wing trying to deny the skip pass, instead of popping from the hole to close it out. The guards are slow to come over, it seems, because he's already there, leaving huge holes inside at the low block. Then he comes charging back in when it's too late.

We make penetration too easy which is opening things up.

Agreed, the wings are the worst for that, and Roberson chief among them. He'll often stand out on the off-wing trying to deny the skip pass, instead of popping from the hole to close it out. The guards are slow to come over, it seems, because he's already there, leaving huge holes inside at the low block. Then he comes charging back in when it's too late.
And if I see Battle or Gillon trail another guy into the lane I'm going to scream

Battle and Gillon are wayyy to quick to be giving up penetration so easily in the first place. I don't get how this is happening so much.

And if I see Battle or Gillon trail another guy into the lane I'm going to scream

From the handful of games I've seen, that's caused by them being too late getting over. Other SU perimeter players in past years were much better at that.

From the handful of games I've seen, that's caused by them being too late getting over. Other SU perimeter players in past years were much better at that.
It happens because they're extended too far chasing the ball in the first place. What I've never understood is the high guard on the ball side. They extend up but not far enough to bother the ball but are too far up to rotate back quickly

It is really awful. And it's gonna be our downfall unless something changes. I think JB has to extend the zone from the opening tip like 2nd half against Virginia. Gillon is too small , and I think battle still thinks this is high school. It's like he wants guys to take 3s cuz he doesn't think they'll make them. It reminds me of when I play pickup games at the park, I'll play off the guy daring him to take a long jumper cuz I know he ain't gonna make it. But guess what tyus, u ain't playing against fat Spanish 40 yr old guys named Julio, guys at this level are gonna make open 3s no matter how deep they are. I remember 1 long 3 perrentes hit battle didn't even take a step towards him. He figured it's so deep he ain't gonna make it. Get a hand up!!!

Last nite after white hit the 3 with about a minute left to put us up 1 I was positive Clemson would come down and get an open 3. Guy steps right into 1 and drills it like it's a layup. Our last defensive possession we did a great job of guarding the 3 and making them take a tough foul line jumper. Gotta do more of that, I'd rather give up a contested layup or foul line jumper than an open 3. Players today are more comfortable taking 3s than a layup.
Good analysis on 3 pt defense but every team is a bit different to defend. We did a decent job against UVA in the second half extending the zone but we could take the chance since they had very little inside scoring, in fact Lydon was covering two inside players. Every darn time we try to extend our zone against other teams, the baseline floaters kill us with a dunk or alley oop. Then when the opponents can get a shooter at the top of the key, we are toast on D. Regardless, we are doing just enough defensively plus continuing to score at a decent rate to currently have us on a five game winning streak.

We need to do a better job limiting opponents open looks from three, AND cutting off penetration before it happens. Period.

Perimeter defense is a weakness. So is interior defense. Bad combo. Need to get a few things fixed over the next few weeks.

It's a little bit (and too much) of a lot of things up top:
  1. Not sliding quick enough
  2. Giving up penetration
  3. Sagging, when there is penetration
  4. Not finding shooters when the ball goes inside

The guards spent lots of time last night not guarding anybody. Just kind of hanging out in space.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom