3 star recruits and 4 star recruits. | Syracusefan.com

3 star recruits and 4 star recruits.

Dodger44

Walk On
First let me state, I am pulling for Dino Babers to be successful. But the question that sticks out. What is the difference between Robinson's, Marrone's, Shafer's, and Baber's 3 star recruits.

And which of the above coaches recruited the most 4 star recruits during their tenure.

One big difference is - pretty much NONE of Shafer’s 4* or high 3* guys ever made it to campus, and the few that did, didn’t do much.

Robinson could recruit.
He just couldn’t coach his way out of a wet paper bag.

Have a unique system and recruit specifically to that unique system in a way that doesn't require unattainable recruits. Not all 3*'s are the same, and fit matters. Know what attributes your system accentuates and which ones you can mitigate and you can churn out awesome college football players and compete with the big ones.

Robinson, Shafer, and Marrone - at least on offense - didn't have a defined system they were recruiting for. Marrone eventually settled on one that worked, but left before he could get into a groove with it. Shafer and Robinson were literally making it up as they went.

Dino is an offense guy and has a proven and well established system and vision for what he wants to do. On defense, as much as many here hate it, he has a philosophy and is recruiting for it. It requires length in the secondary, which was in short (hehe) supply when he arrived and great pains have been taken to change that.

This isn't meant to rehash the defensive system debate, and I put forth no position here. My point is that success in recruiting at Syracuse's level revolves around having defined systems with particular attributes that can be elevated in the system.

3 stars means so many things - raw, inexperienced, not done growing, faced weak competition, or not an elite athlete. 3 star is a catch all for guys that bloggers don't know how to rank. You can win with three stars - just have to identify the right ones.

Have a unique system and recruit specifically to that unique system in a way that doesn't require unattainable recruits. Not all 3*'s are the same, and fit matters. Know what attributes your system accentuates and which ones you can mitigate and you can churn out awesome college football players and compete with the big ones.

Robinson, Shafer, and Marrone - at least on offense - didn't have a defined system they were recruiting for. Marrone eventually settled on one that worked, but left before he could get into a groove with it. Shafer and Robinson were literally making it up as they went.

Dino is an offense guy and has a proven and well established system and vision for what he wants to do. On defense, as much as many here hate it, he has a philosophy and is recruiting for it. It requires length in the secondary, which was in short (hehe) supply when he arrived and great pains have been taken to change that.

This isn't meant to rehash the defensive system debate, and I put forth no position here. My point is that success in recruiting at Syracuse's level revolves around having defined systems with particular attributes that can be elevated in the system.
This is spot on.

I think there are several parallels to how JB recruits and how DFB recruits.

Even though JB obviously recruits at a higher level, he still isnt pulling in the “blue chip” top 25 kids. JB focuses on kids in the 25-100 range that FIT HIS SYSTEM. Some are highly sought after, some are not, but they all have good length combined with athletisism. In a perfect world they are also good at creating their own shot/getting to the basket and/or good shooters but the length and athletisism is the key ingredient.

DFB seems to be the same way both on Offense, and as you mentioned on Defense as well. He has a vision and is recruiting to it. Certain things matter to him more than others. Some things he feels he can teach some things he needs upon arrival etc...

It is hard to recruit to a vision when you don’t have one (cough cough SS/Greg)

Let’s kinda compare it to Boeheim’s recruiting. Do we usually get top 10 recruits? Nope. Do we usually get recruits that are solid players, lengthy and fit our scheme so we can maximize their skills in a couple years of training and coaching? Yes. That’s kind of Dino’s thoughts I believe. We play this style of football, and we are going to get solid players (not a class loaded with 4 star talent, because we are not there as a program yet) and put them in position to maximize those skills. Overall, I have been following football recruiting since the end of Marrone, start of Shaffer. These players we are getting to commit are a different caliber, they’re ACC measurable players. Not a “sleeper” 2-3 star with one other offer from Akron.

Dino’s landing higher profile recruits.

I think whats more important is where we’re landing recruits from (level of highschool comp) and what programs we’re landing them over.

The past two years we’ve landed recruits from Michigan, Dc, Ny, New England, Mississippi, Florida, Texas, cali, jersey etc.

We’re expanding our presence out west in cali, zona and texas while building a strong pipelin in Dc, Nj, pa and downstate. We’re consistently winning recruits over quality p5 programs including SEC. We’re building a brand and foundation instead of pissing in the wind and seeing what happens.

Dino's 3 star guys seem to have more P5 offers, than Shaefers 3 star guys.

First let me state, I am pulling for Dino Babers to be successful. But the question that sticks out. What is the difference between Robinson's, Marrone's, Shafer's, and Baber's 3 star recruits.

And which of the above coaches recruited the most 4 star recruits during their tenure.

It's splitting hairs. Personally i love brining in the hungry 3 star. Their talent base is close to the 4* kids.

Dino’s guys are increasingly enrolling early and showing up to summer ball ready.

Big difference as well