3 Things That Stood Out Saturday (and other games, too) | Syracusefan.com

3 Things That Stood Out Saturday (and other games, too)

Faegan

All Conference
1.) Faceoffs - You can't gloss over this issue. We have to get it righted. Good lord.

2.) Fundamentals - Passing, awareness of where the other team's players are, poor shot selection and placement. You can just see a lack of confidence and hesitancy rather than the self-assured crispness we're used to seeing at SU.

3.) Transition Game Too Hesitant - A couple of fast breaks in the 3rd quarter where we had numbers and you could, again, see the hesitancy. We pulled up and set up a play instead of trying to move the ball around quickly and get off a shot. Maybe this is due to injuries and lack of chemistry? Whatever the reason, I think this also ties in with number 2 above.

1.) Faceoffs - You can't gloss over this issue. We have to get it righted. Good lord.

2.) Fundamentals - Passing, awareness of where the other team's players are, poor shot selection and placement. You can just see a lack of confidence and hesitancy rather than the self-assured crispness we're used to seeing at SU.

3.) Transition Game Too Hesitant - A couple of fast breaks in the 3rd quarter where we had numbers and you could, again, see the hesitancy. We pulled up and set up a play instead of trying to move the ball around quickly and get off a shot. Maybe this is due to injuries and lack of chemistry? Whatever the reason, I think this also ties in with number 2 above.
All the above are valid and all the above are coaching subjects. Maybe someone should address this stuff with Desko.At times he seems oblivious to the facts in front of him.Bring on Gary.

Are you talking about just the Rutgers game, or for the season, because if you are talking about the season SU is one of the most efficient teams in the country.

Are you talking about just the Rutgers game, or for the season, because if you are talking about the season SU is one of the most efficient teams in the country.

I noticed it more vs. Rutgers than others games, but I first saw it vs. Albany (beginning of the season, so not unexpected - I guess) and started thinking about it again during the Cornell game, too. Plain as day vs. Rutgers until the 7-1 run, which was very impressive.

When you say they are efficient, are saying that as an observation, or a particular stat? Just curious.

Agree on #1, but at least Desko went with Paduda for an extended period of time. He seemed to be able to hold is own. A two some of him and Daddio moving forward should be the plan for SU. I would like to see them have the coach in charge of faceoffs start changing Conroy's style now, if we can get him off the ground we could have a decent three headed faceoff monster going into next year plus anyone else that we bring in for the 2014 class. Another issue is our wing play, we were outhustled big time on the wings, we need to get some speed on the wings and quick, looked like we were stuck in molasses out there.

Regarding your second point, yes SU was awful verus Rutgers for three quarters but outside of that SU has been pretty good this year passing, clearing and suprisingly with shot selection which has really hurt SU the past two years. By shot selection I am referring to not only when we shoot but also how we vary up the shootign location, high to high, low to high low to low, bounce shot, quick stick etc. For the first three quarters Saturday I saw one of the worst performances from a fundamental standpoint of any SU lax game I can remember. Horrible passes, horrific turnovers, out husted repeatedly, and inability to scoop groundballs including Hamlin having a breakway where on a ground ball with no one in 10 yards of him he incidently shot the ball up to the ceiling. All that being said, outside of the RU game we have been pretty good with all of those issues, unless theres a repeat against Hobart I wouldnt worry to much about it.

On your third point, this SU team is not built like the traditional SU teams as far as run and gun. This team can score in transition but thats not really there strength outside of Maltz. Guys like Cometti and Schoonmaker arent run and gun guys and Marasco gets into trouble when he tries to do to much and isnt really a good % shooter over the course of his career. Next years team should be a much better team for transition with the addition of Evans, Staats, Galasso, Dylan Matlz etc. Also keep in mind that in a lot of our transition opportunities we have a long pole or a short stick D mid flying in, setting up a running goal or shot is not exactly there forte.

Agree on #1, but at least Desko went with Paduda for an extended period of time. He seemed to be able to hold is own. A two some of him and Daddio moving forward should be the plan for SU. I would like to see them have the coach in charge of faceoffs start changing Conroy's style now, if we can get him off the ground we could have a decent three headed faceoff monster going into next year plus anyone else that we bring in for the 2014 class. Another issue is our wing play, we were outhustled big time on the wings, we need to get some speed on the wings and quick, looked like we were stuck in molasses out there.

Regarding your second point, yes SU was awful verus Rutgers for three quarters but outside of that SU has been pretty good this year passing, clearing and suprisingly with shot selection which has really hurt SU the past two years. By shot selection I am referring to not only when we shoot but also how we vary up the shootign location, high to high, low to high low to low, bounce shot, quick stick etc. For the first three quarters Saturday I saw one of the worst performances from a fundamental standpoint of any SU lax game I can remember. Horrible passes, horrific turnovers, out husted repeatedly, and inability to scoop groundballs including Hamlin having a breakway where on a ground ball with no one in 10 yards of him he incidently shot the ball up to the ceiling. All that being said, outside of the RU game we have been pretty good with all of those issues, unless theres a repeat against Hobart I wouldnt worry to much about it.

On your third point, this SU team is not built like the traditional SU teams as far as run and gun. This team can score in transition but thats not really there strength outside of Maltz. Guys like Cometti and Schoonmaker arent run and gun guys and Marasco gets into trouble when he tries to do to much and isnt really a good % shooter over the course of his career. Next years team should be a much better team for transition with the addition of Evans, Staats, Galasso, Dylan Matlz etc. Also keep in mind that in a lot of our transition opportunities we have a long pole or a short stick D mid flying in, setting up a running goal or shot is not exactly there forte.

Daddio has been OK this year, not bad but not good either. He has been wildely inconsistent. Good games against JHU and Prov but then horrendous games against Nova and Rutty. We need Daddio to be more consistent everyone has off games but when hes not in its really really bad. Also Conroy was the one who had a good game against Princeton not Daddio.

To me this game wreaked of a team (Syracuse) who entered the game thinking they were going to score 20 goals and players would be padding their stats. The way they played offensively in the first half is exactly how that looked to me.

To me this game wreaked of a team (Syracuse) who entered the game thinking they were going to score 20 goals and players would be padding their stats. The way they played offensively in the first half is exactly how that looked to me.

They lacked energy. Desperation and generating extra possessions was the difference.

I noticed it more vs. Rutgers than others games, but I first saw it vs. Albany (beginning of the season, so not unexpected - I guess) and started thinking about it again during the Cornell game, too. Plain as day vs. Rutgers until the 7-1 run, which was very impressive.

When you say they are efficient, are saying that as an observation, or a particular stat? Just curious.

5th in scoring offense, 4th in assists per game, 5th in shooting percentage, 2nd in turnovers per game, 4th in points per game.

All that while only being 23rd in shots per game, 39th in caused turnovers, 52nd in ground balls, 53 in faceoffs.

They aren't generating a bunch of extra possessions with their defense or overwhelming the opponent with extra shots.

At this point I don't think this issue will entirely go away this season, but I was encouraged that the coaches looked "outside the box" and have apparently found a new viable option in Cal Paduda. I think Daddio has improved this year, but he can be a bit erratic.

With or without a consistent FO man This team can win the NC... Get rid of Desko :rolling: silly , He should be Coach of the year Scoreing? :crazy: 12-13 Goals a Game

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom