3 True Freshmen Making Noise | Syracusefan.com

3 True Freshmen Making Noise

Van111

Starter
Estime, Hodge and Johnson are making noise.

Estime: I can invasion an immediate impact to special teams as early as opening day against PSU. Estime is that kind of player. I have read what other 4/5 star athletes out of Florida have said about him, that when they played his school, their #1 focus was stopping him.

Hodge: Continues to impress, he will see the field and wouldn't surprise me he isn't spot starting by the end of the season, or at least in some special packages. He will be key on special teams as we haven't had the luxury of playing talent like his that wasn't our starters in quite a while.

Johnson: I have to say kudos to the scout who found him. He may be the surprise player of this recruiting class. I see another Dwight type player in him, he will be next to impossible, IMO, to keep of the field.

would pay just about anything to see Estime take the first kickoff to the house...we havent been a special teams threat since the spotwood years.
You and me both! I am sure their are a couple of others out there. How special would it be, in a packed house in teh Meadowlands, to take the opening kickoff back for a TD! Boy, it gives me goose bumps just thinking about it, along with probably shutting up 30K PSU fans at the same time!

It's worth noting that Estime is 20 years old and will be 21 in December. While many frosh are still growing and developing, he may be already there.

It's worth noting that Estime is 20 years old and will be 21 in December. While many frosh are still growing and developing, he may be already there.
That is something I didn't know.

He hasnt been playing football for very long either..which is scary in a good way

Malik Brown..who ended up going to Tenn rather than us...mentioned in his senior year that Estime single-handedly beat them. He was a one man unstoppable army.

Malik Brown..who ended up going to Tenn rather than us...mentioned in his senior year that Estime single-handedly beat them. He was a one man unstoppable army.

So how does this one-man offensive phenom become ours? If I remember correctly, he was a late add, and an uncertain one at that. What am I missing? We're grades an issue?

You and me both! I am sure their are a couple of others out there. How special would it be, in a packed house in teh Meadowlands, to take the opening kickoff back for a TD! Boy, it gives me goose bumps just thinking about it, along with probably shutting up 30K PSU fans at the same time!
If its a packed house... probably closer to 50K. 'em.

The recent praise Estime continues to receiver further convinces me that he will be much more then just a factor on special teams this year.

got damn so what hes going to be 24 as a senior. actually not bad. just as long as he aint 25

would pay just about anything to see Estime take the first kickoff to the house...we havent been a special teams threat since the spotwood years.

That would be fantastic.

I remember when we played another Big 10 team in the NYC area to open the year and a guy named Kevin Johnson took one 87 yards to the house to open the game. That turned out to be one hell of a game.

My kingdom for some deja vu.

Kevin Johnson was a fantastic kick returner... loved him all around as a player and was surprised his nfl career didnt last longer. Cleveland is one of those places where careers go to die now.

I thought something looked different about him in his pic! He looks very physically mature, more so than other freshman. That's interesting...

Get Estime out there for the opening kickoff!

You didn't see it? He's so fast, he just took it to the house.

Seriously, after watching this kid's high school highlight tape, it's hard not to picture him out there on the kickoff return unit. He's an absolute burner. Can't wait to watch him in action this season.

If its a packed house... probably closer to 50K. 'em.
It looks like it is going to be a packed house as there are not alot of tickets being offered. So much for being our second home, this will be a PSU crowd, but will be nice to spank them in front of it.

It looks like it is going to be a packed house as there are not alot of tickets being offered. So much for being our second home, this will be a PSU crowd, but will be nice to spank them in front of it.
All I know. Is ... I'm hyped.

Kevin Johnson would like to respectfully disagree.

And actually...johnson graduated a year earlier than spotwood didnt he?

Kevin Johnson would like to respectfully disagree.

Kick returns​
no.yardstdlongavg

JOHNSON, Kevin​
14 514 2 91 36.7
TURNER, Jim​
12 250 0 40 20.8
GIBBS, Stan​
2 23 0 22 11.5
JACKSON, Mauric​
1 14 0 14 14.0
LEWIS, Aaron​
1 12 0 12 12.0
MCINTOSH, Ian​
1 10 0 10 10.0
Team totals​
31 823 2 91 26.5
Opp totals​
72 1343 0 38 18.7​
Punt returns​
no.yardstdlongavg

SPOTWOOD, Quint​
31 463 4 84 14.9
DANIEL, Daryl​
1 56 0 56 56.0
JOHNSON, Kevin​
2 12 0 6 6.0
Team totals​
34 531 4 84 15.6
Opp totals​
26 217 1 23 8.3​

KICK RETURNS No. Yds Avg TD Long
---------------------------------------
JOHNSON, Kevin 24 714 29.8 2 100
MCINTOSH, Kyle 12 264 22.0 0 76
GIBBS, Stan 2 19 9.5 0 15
BENNETT, Mike 1 0 0.0 0 0
O'NEIL, Kevin 1 4 4.0 0 4
MCINTOSH, Ian 1 20 20.0 0 20
Total..... 41 1021 24.9 2 100
Opponents... 78 1570 20.1 0 53

PUNT RETURNS No. Yds Avg TD Long
---------------------------------------
JOHNSON, Kevin 20 147 7.3 0 21
SPOTWOOD, Quint 8 30 3.8 0 11
CHAPMAN, Jay 2 27 13.5 0 19
BANKS, Vernon 1 5 5.0 0 0
MCINTOSH, Kyle 1 15 15.0 0 15
DANIEL, Darryl 1 9 9.0 0 9
Total..... 33 233 7.1 0 21
Opponents... 30 349 11.6 1 28

Kevin Johnson was a fantastic kick returner... loved him all around as a player and was surprised his nfl career didnt last longer. Cleveland is one of those places where careers go to die now.
If I remember right, McNabb lobbied in Phlly for them to bring him in at one point. I'm paraphrasing, but I think the response was, "Nah, we don't need him. We'll just ride you 'til you break, then throw you away when we finally decide to draft some offensive weapons."

And actually...johnson graduated a year earlier than spotwood didnt he?
Yeah. Spotwood tore his ACL in '98 as a junior and wasn't the same after that. His awesome punt return year was as a sophomore. We had great blocking on those returns too, btw.