35 Miles In New Jersey... | Syracusefan.com

35 Miles In New Jersey...

suloyalfan

2nd String
A Tale of Two Programs, Saturday, September 8, 2012, at 3:30pm...

Syracuse kicks off versus #2 USC at the Meadowlands...

Meanwhile, 35 miles away in Piscataway...

Rutgers kicks off against the mighty Howard Bisons, who narrowly escaped with a 30-29 win over Morehouse College last week on a last minute touchdown pass.

I generally despise the scheduling threads that we get into, but I just thought it was ironic that Syracuse has started the season against Northwestern and #2 USC, while Rutgers starts with Tulane and Howard... if it's bowl eligibility that you seek, who is smarter about their scheduling?

Either way, I will give Rutgers some credit for their OOC schedule this year, as they will be traveling to Arkansas in a couple weeks.

A Tale of Two Programs, Saturday, September 8, 2012, at 3:30pm...

Syracuse kicks off versus #2 USC at the Meadowlands...

Meanwhile, 35 miles away in Piscataway...

Rutgers kicks off against the mighty Howard Bisons, who narrowly escaped with a 30-29 win over Morehouse College last week on a last minute touchdown pass.

I generally despise the scheduling threads that we get into, but I just thought it was ironic that Syracuse has started the season against Northwestern and #2 USC, while Rutgers starts with Tulane and Howard... if it's bowl eligibility that you seek, who is smarter about their scheduling?

Either way, I will give Rutgers some credit for their OOC schedule this year, as they will be traveling to Arkansas in a couple weeks.
don't give them too much credit for Arkansas as I believe it was a late fill in game after they learned the BE schedule would not be 8 games this season. I think by that point all of the patsies across the country were already booked and they were forced to play a game against a legitimate team. Had the BE schedule remained at 8 games this year their OOC would've been: Tulane / Howard / Kent State / Army

yes - Army would have been their toughest OOC match up - holding to their formula for the last decade 4-0 OOC against a shameful schedule, 3-5 against BCS teams in conference = 7-5 and crappy bowl game! look everyone, we're going bowling again and will play and defeat the MAC runner-up!

don't give them too much credit for Arkansas as I believe it was a late fill in game after they learned the BE schedule would not be 8 games this season. I think by that point all of the patsies across the country were already booked and they were forced to play a game against a legitimate team. Had the BE schedule remained at 8 games this year their OOC would've been: Tulane / Howard / Kent State / Army

yes - Army would have been their toughest OOC match up - holding to their formula for the last decade 4-0 OOC against a shameful schedule, 3-5 against BCS teams in conference = 7-5 and crappy bowl game! look everyone, we're going bowling again and will play and defeat the MAC runner-up!

Very much fact.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Agreed... I'm just saying that it's interesting that they can build a program by this type of scheduling, while Syracuse is still trying to rebuild and get some momentum and we "hamstring" ourselves with a pretty tough OOC schedule each year. I'm not against playing a tough schedule, but in hindsight it would have been better to play a lighter schedule for a couple years to build momentum with recruiting and bowl games. In the end, people outside of the program (recruits), look at wins and losses, and whether you went to bowl games. They might pay attention to your schedule in the future to see who they will be playing against, but I think that higher end recruits are unlikely to sign on with a team that has had a long string of unsuccessful seasons regardless of who you played against.

Will all of the Rutgers fans leave their TV sets on again?

Actually the Rutgers way of scheduling, is why they are never considered for expansion. The AD's and coaches of the Big conference schools, unlike internet bloggers understand a 7-5 against 4 po dunk colleges, and a watered down Big East isn't relevant.

one is headed towards its 7th straight loss, the other is...not.

:eek:

:noidea:

Oh Lord

Agreed... I'm just saying that it's interesting that they can build a program by this type of scheduling, while Syracuse is still trying to rebuild and get some momentum and we "hamstring" ourselves with a pretty tough OOC schedule each year. I'm not against playing a tough schedule, but in hindsight it would have been better to play a lighter schedule for a couple years to build momentum with recruiting and bowl games. In the end, people outside of the program (recruits), look at wins and losses, and whether you went to bowl games. They might pay attention to your schedule in the future to see who they will be playing against, but I think that higher end recruits are unlikely to sign on with a team that has had a long string of unsuccessful seasons regardless of who you played against.

You don't "come back" as a program by playing crappy teams to inflate your record. You continue playing good teams until you can beat them.

We are SYRACUSE, for Chrissakes. This is how we have ALWAYS scheduled.

2 seasons ago we had a very light schedule by our standards (although not by choice to have a 2nd 1aa) and ended up 8-5. Bowl was gained and scheduling has moved on. You can start there but you can't stay there. Our coach choose @ Mizzou over a second 1aa for the 2nd time in 3 seasons which at least gives you a shot at a win that matters.

In regards to Rutgers, even our 2010 schedule contained 2 OOC BCS foes. That hasn't been the case for them since their magical 2006 season when they played UNC and Illinois who were a combined 5-19 for the year. This year we have 4 OOC BCS foes to their 1.

You don't "come back" as a program by playing crappy teams to inflate your record. You continue playing good teams until you can beat them.

We are SYRACUSE, for Chrissakes. This is how we have ALWAYS scheduled.

First, you only come back as a program IF you start beating those good teams on your schedule...

Second, I'm just stating that wins and losses, and playing in bowl games matter to recruits... with depth and talent depleted in recent seasons we weren't making it easier on ourselves in recruiting by losing to better competition, not to mention missing out on the 15 extra bowl practices because we didn't win 6 games.

Third, I agree with playing a tougher schedule... I think it's the right thing to do and the best way to judge progress of rebuilding the program.