3PA and 2PA correlations with wins

Millhouse

Living Legend
Correlation between 3 pt attempts and wins = -22%
Correlation between 2 pt attempts and wins = 18%

Don't settle! Wide open threes and desperation, that's it

Boeheim knows this, of course, just confirming what everyone knows

Wonder how that works in the NBA.

Also expect more teams to shoot threes when they are losing.

Is this for SU or NCAA?
Also, I took enough stats classes to know that those aren't very strong correlations (0.18 and 0.22).

Correlation between 3 pt attempts and wins = -22%
Correlation between 2 pt attempts and wins = 18%

Don't settle! Wide open threes and desperation, that's it

Boeheim knows this, of course, just confirming what everyone knows

i feel like we are missing some variables here. how many 3 attempts? or are you saying for every 3 we take there is a 22% chance we dont win?

i feel like we are missing some variables here. how many 3 attempts? or are you saying for every 3 we take there is a 22% chance we dont win?
no, it's just a correlation between the number of 3s or 2s and wins (win=1, loss=0)

it's not super strong, it only explains a little bit of wins and losses. but all else equal, we're better off not shooting lots of threes (which we all already knew because we suck and making 3s - don't do things you suck at)

assuming his calculations are correct, r= -.22 means 3 pt attempts explains just under 5% of the variance in wins & losses

assuming his calculations are correct, r= -.22 means 3 pt attempts explains just under 5% of the variance in wins & losses
0.22 = 22% not 5%

This math is making my head spin
correlation tells you which direction a relationship between two numbers goes (go up or down together vs one goes up other goes down)

r squared tells you how strong the relationship is

there is a lot more to the game than just how many 3s you take so it doesn't explain that much but we do know that all else equal, shooting more threes is bad but doesn't strongly predict anything

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom