4 team playoff model approved. | Syracusefan.com

4 team playoff model approved.

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
A four-team playoff for college football has been formally approved by a presidential oversight committee, a dramatic change for the sport that will begin in 2014. The four teams will be chosen by a selection committee, the semifinals will be held at current bowl sites and the national championship game will be awarded to the highest bidder.

The 12-year deal is through the 2025 season.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...-team-college-football-playoff-beginning-2014

A four-team playoff for college football has been formally approved by a presidential oversight committee, a dramatic change for the sport that will begin in 2014. The four teams will be chosen by a selection committee, the semifinals will be held at current bowl sites and the national championship game will be awarded to the highest bidder.

The 12-year deal is through the 2025 season.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...-team-college-football-playoff-beginning-2014

12 year deal? Does that mean we can't expand to 8 teams until 2026? Wow that sucks.

I'm excited that College Football may finally get it right (8-team playoff) before I turn 50, so 2026 is perfect for me.

Are the presidents of Louisville and Cincinnati on the phones this evening? The BE is all but dead as a football conference, so their futures as relevant, long term programs are in jeopardy.

So glad to be on our way out of this mess.

I'm excited that College Football may finally get it right (8-team playoff) before I turn 50, so 2026 is perfect for me.

Great. I'll be 102. :confused:

Cincy and Louisville should jump with Boise and SDSU back to the MWC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait - so is it the Top 4 conference champions? Or did they decide to continue to f things up?

Cincy and Louisville should jump with Boise and SDSU back to the MWC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't see that happening. Cincy and L'Ville will sit tight and hope the doorbell rings.

Wait - so is it the Top 4 conference champions? Or did they decide to continue to f things up?

The top 4 teams as selected by the committee. In theory, all 4 could come from the same conference, although conference champion will be a weighted factor.

"The presidents also announced the creation of a selection committee that will rank the teams to play in the playoff, "giving all the teams an equal opportunity to participate." The committee will consider win-loss record, strength of schedule, head-to-head results and whether a team is a conference champion. "

To be determined:

• Who will be on the committee that selects seeded teams?
• What format will the committee use to choose the seeded teams?
• How will the money be split among conferences?

Maybe, maybe not...I would think anything is negotiable.
I imagine that the first season there are 5 undefeated teams, we'll start hearing about expansion. I like the idea of 8, but would consider 6 - It rewards the strongest teams with a bye (keeping the regular season relevant, which is by far the biggest criticism of a playoff among detractors) and would probably get in every undefeated team.

I imagine that the first season there are 5 undefeated teams, we'll start hearing about expansion. I like the idea of 8, but would consider 6 - It rewards the strongest teams with a bye (keeping the regular season relevant, which is by far the biggest criticism of a playoff among detractors) and would probably get in every undefeated team.

I've always preferred 11.

The five power conference champions receive first round byes.

Committee selects six at large teams and seed 1-11.

Selection Sunday on the Sunday after the Saturday conference championships (which would be 12/2 this year, which we can use for reference purposes).

12/15 - First Round (6 vs. 11, 7 vs. 10, 8 vs. 9)
12/22 - Quarterfinals (1 vs. 8/9, 2 vs. 7/10, 3 vs. 6/11, 4 vs. 5)
12/29 - Semifinals
1/7 (Monday) - Championship Game

Party on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors