4 things happened | Syracusefan.com

4 things happened

pearl31

in cahoots
Not a thread about recruiting or (lack of) offensive sets, which is not to say those aren't legitimate concerns. Just wanted to posit what I see, within this season, as the 4 key reasons the team has gone down rather than up since a promising non-con. So, let's take a look at what's occurred since the Maryland game (arguably our best game of the year), ranked in the order of significance.
  1. Sidibe's health. Not like he would've been Olojowan or anything but he demonstrated he could be a real inside presence, providing offense where Chukwu can't.
  2. Brissett regressed in a big way. Even if he didn't maintain his early #s, I don't think anyone thought he would get to the point where he simply cannot score near the basket. Early on he was either scoring or getting to the line. Now he's hitting occasional 3s but nothing else, and it's killing us. This has been almost shocking to me.
  3. Thorpe left the team. No, he wasn't going to be a game changer but he would likely have been a legit option off the bench, and even a scoring infusion at times.
  4. Washington went out for the year. He seemed to be coming around and JB seemed to be trusting him more. There would have been opportunities for a 3-guard look when the O became especially stagnant. And if nothing else, could spell Howard/Battle for a couple minutes here and there.
I would say, considering these things, the team's struggles right now are not surprising. They're not the only factor by any means, but to me the most significant.

When you're beat up and lose your legs, the first thing to go is your ability to attack the basket and finish through contact.

I know from personal experience that when I'm hurting and exhausted, jumpshots look reallll good and when I do attack, the power through just isn't there when your legs fail.

When you're beat up and lose your legs, the first thing to go is your ability to attack the basket and finish through contact.

I know from personal experience that when I'm hurting and exhausted, jumpshots look reallll good and when I do attack, the power through just isn't there when your legs fail.
So you mean that kids can’t play 40
Minutes a game because TV timeouts and time between games and don’t wear players down?

You mean there isn’t accumulation of wear and tear as the season goes on.

Not a thread about recruiting or (lack of) offensive sets, which is not to say those aren't legitimate concerns. Just wanted to posit what I see, within this season, as the 4 key reasons the team has gone down rather than up since a promising non-con. So, let's take a look at what's occurred since the Maryland game (arguably our best game of the year), ranked in the order of significance.
  1. Sidibe's health. Not like he would've been Olojowan or anything but he demonstrated he could be a real inside presence, providing offense where Chukwu can't.
  2. Brissett regressed in a big way. Even if he didn't maintain his early #s, I don't think anyone thought he would get to the point where he simply cannot score near the basket. Early on he was either scoring or getting to the line. Now he's hitting occasional 3s but nothing else, and it's killing us. This has been almost shocking to me.
  3. Thorpe left the team. No, he wasn't going to be a game changer but he would likely have been a legit option off the bench, and even a scoring infusion at times.
  4. Washington went out for the year. He seemed to be coming around and JB seemed to be trusting him more. There would have been opportunities for a 3-guard look when the O became especially stagnant. And if nothing else, could spell Howard/Battle for a couple minutes here and there.
I would say, considering these things, the team's struggles right now are not surprising. They're not the only factor by any means, but to me the most significant.

Excellent post! I agree in particular about Brissett.

So you mean that kids can’t play 40
Minutes a game because TV timeouts and time between games and don’t wear players down?

You mean there isn’t accumulation of wear and tear as the season goes on.
Plenty of players can play close to 40 minutes a game. Not everyone. But plenty. You know who has the most trouble with those kind of minutes? Freshman. They aren't as strong as a rule as upperclassman. They haven't spent the time in the weight room. It's called hitting the wall for a reason. I think that has happened to OB. I think it has happened to Marek as well and he wasn't even coming close to those type of minutes but he has never played anything like this type of schedule. What is it? 8 more games? I can't wait. And I never think that way. And not to worry away my life, but I am really worried about the year after next. I think we will be very good next year. But we are Syracuse and that isn't enough. Not if we are going to suck the following year.

Plenty of players can play close to 40 minutes a game. Not everyone. But plenty. You know who has the most trouble with those kind of minutes? Freshman. They aren't as strong as a rule as upperclassman. They haven't spent the time in the weight room. It's called hitting the wall for a reason. I think that has happened to OB. I think it has happened to Marek as well and he wasn't even coming close to those type of minutes but he has never played anything like this type of schedule. What is it? 8 more games? I can't wait. And I never think that way. And not to worry away my life, but I am really worried about the year after next. I think we will be very good next year. But we are Syracuse and that isn't enough. Not if we are going to suck the following year.
We are top 25 next year.
Not questioning that.
I just wish we didn’t run our players into the ground.
We need depth.
12 scholarship players next year with Buddy.

We are top 25 next year.
Not questioning that.
We need depth.
Quite frankly, after what we have gone through the last couple of years, we better be better than just top 25

Next year is huge, not just because we should be Syracuse again with Baz and Brissett being a potential lottery pick combo, but because we will finally have program players.

Buddy, HW, Hughes, Moyer and Sidibe are all guys who should be around for their full 4 years of eligibility.

Frank graduates and Baz/OB will probably off to the NBA, with Carey as a wildcard so we're going to be need a strong '19 class to keep this going.

We are top 25 next year.
Not questioning that.
We need depth.

Buddy shouldn't get a scholarship

Next year is huge, not just because we should be Syracuse again with Baz and Brissett being a potential lottery pick combo, but because we will finally have program players.

Buddy, HW, Hughes, Moyer and Sidibe are all guys who should be around for their full 4 years of eligibility.

Frank graduates and Baz/OB will probably off to the NBA, with Carey as a wildcard so we're going to be need a strong '19 class to keep this going.
It will be very hard for Sid to completely get better from his tendinitis. It is an injury that often never fully gets better. Kind of like a bad back that pops up every once in awhile. I hope we pull in another big.

Buddy shouldn't get a scholarship
Did coach have to get permisson from the AD or somebody to offer Buddy a scholarship? Don't mean anythng by this, just asking the question.

Did coach have to get permisson from the AD or somebody to offer Buddy a scholarship? Don't mean anythng by this, just asking the question.
As much as he needs to get permission to offer Bazely a scholarship.
upload_2018-2-4_17-51-49.gif

Will there be more paperwork? Probably. But I don't see why he would need permission for Buddy if he doesn't for any other athlete.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom