4th n 5th guy killing us | Syracusefan.com

4th n 5th guy killing us

jordoo

Living Legend
First we absolutely needed that win. Remember this team took ND to double O.T. on the road and beat us last year. So yah for that.

Second college ball blows and we are right there in the thick of it. Yuck!

Third our 4th n 5th guys just killed us. Tyler is the closest to really being the 4th guy but good god Chris, Kaleb and Buss to go with Tyler didn't do enough and havn't of late. They all did some great things but the bad generally out weighed the good and these 4 need to improve, that is the next step.

One of the things that is killing us is forward scoring, can't move gbinije to guard for any minutes because of it, and no perimeter forward outside gbinije. To make matters worse Patterson/joseph are not ready to score we could really use gbinije at guard for a few mintues.

Joseph and Patterson not trying to score today though could have gave us the win.

I am pleased McCullough is trying to take the ball at his defender to the basket.

I see a Kueth Duany like role in Gbinije, to bad he can't have a 4th man role like that.

Last edited:
I don't think Chris can get in the flow of the game being the fourth option. If he doesn't make his first jump shot, it looks like no plays are called for him as a result. JB is playing for the win and going to Rak as much as possible, even if it sacrifices Chris getting his looks and the chance to grow. When he does get a play called, he seems to get fouled. Waiting five minutes for a shot and then get fouled is not an easy way to jump start your game. So all Chris has left is to make hustle plays or put backs for his points and a chance to get going. Then you have the foul factor. He's are backup center. Rock or Chris get a foul, and Chris comes out incase Rak gets in trouble. This is where Roberson has taken advantage and earned more playing time and contributing to Chris staying in his seat for a longer period of time. Again, JB wants to win. He's not going to sub out Roberson when he's playing well. People are all over him like he is now a bum and can't play. I find that to be BS. The kid can play.

BludOrange said:
I don't think Chris can get in the flow of the game being the fourth option. If he doesn't make his first jump shot, it looks like no plays are called for him as a result. JB is playing for the win and going to Rak as much as possible, even if it sacrifices Chris getting his looks and the chance to grow. When he does get a play called, he seems to get fouled. Waiting five minutes for a shot and then get fouled is not an easy way to jump start your game. So all Chris has left is to make hustle plays or put backs for his points and a chance to get going. Then you have the foul factor. He's are backup center. Rock or Chris get a foul, and Chris comes out incase Rak gets in trouble. This is where Roberson has taken advantage and earned more playing time and contributing to Chris staying in his seat for a longer period of time. Again, JB wants to win. He's not going to sub out Roberson when he's playing well. People are all over like he is now a bum and can't play. I find that to be BS. The kid can play.

Everybody will be kissing his butt again when he drops 15 in the next couple of games.

I don't think Chris can get in the flow of the game being the fourth option. If he doesn't make his first jump shot, it looks like no plays are called for him as a result. JB is playing for the win and going to Rak as much as possible, even if it sacrifices Chris getting his looks and the chance to grow. When he does get a play called, he seems to get fouled. Waiting five minutes for a shot and then get fouled is not an easy way to jump start your game. So all Chris has left is to make hustle plays or put backs for his points and a chance to get going. Then you have the foul factor. He's are backup center. Rock or Chris get a foul, and Chris comes out incase Rak gets in trouble. This is where Roberson has taken advantage and earned more playing time and contributing to Chris staying in his seat for a longer period of time. Again, JB wants to win. He's not going to sub out Roberson when he's playing well. People are all over him like he is now a bum and can't play. I find that to be BS. The kid can play.
Guess we watched a different game today..chris got the ball today in the flow of the offense. He even had a few lost post opportunities. I'm personally still waiting to see what everyone sees in him.

We're playing 4-on-5 on offense. That's not good.

Kaleb is the one teams are sagging off of. He's passing up many open looks. Seems as if JB instructed him to not shoot if past the FT line.

Guess we watched a different game today..chris got the ball today in the flow of the offense. He even had a few lost post opportunities. I'm personally still waiting to see what everyone sees in him.

He had good moves, did you see the fat guy from GT able to make the same moves? No. That's what people see. The ball just ain't going in. It's not like he's missing badly or putting up bricks, ball just spinning or rimming out. I don't watch to hate on my own team, sorry.

He had good moves, did you see the fat guy from GT able to make the same moves? No. That's what people see. The ball just ain't going in. It's not like he's missing badly or putting up bricks, ball just spinning or rimming out. I don't watch to hate on my own team, sorry.
Hate? Where did I even say anything negative? I said I don't see what everyone else does and he got touches. Is the fat guy a supposed pro prospect?

Nice overreaction tho

The lack of a 2nd guard (point guard) is killing this team. Joseph just isn't good enough b

Kaleb is the one teams are sagging off of. He's passing up many open looks. Seems as if JB instructed him to not shoot if past the FT line.

Yes. Our PG isn't a scoring threat... at all. I can't think of any successful teams that didn't have a PG who could keep the defense honest.

Yes. Our PG isn't a scoring threat... at all. I can't think of any successful teams that didn't have a PG who could keep the defense honest.

It's kind of terrifying to think of, but Patterson may lead this team in dynamic passing off the bounce in the half-court sets over the past few weeks or so...that thought alone keeps me up at night (cuz he doesn't have many himself).

Well, hopefully everyone keeps improving, and McC kicks into overdrive at some point.

And it's really disheartening because Kaleb was really starting to look like that threat a few weeks ago, and now... not so much

It's kind of terrifying to think of, but Patterson may lead this team in dynamic passing off the bounce in the half-court sets over the past few weeks or so...that thought alone keeps me up at night (cuz he doesn't have many himself).

Well, hopefully everyone keeps improving, and McC kicks into overdrive at some point.

Haha that is scary.

About CMac, I really did like his extra aggressiveness today. He finished like crap, but at least he made an effort to go up strong. One of the plays, he had no chance of dunking but grabbed the rim anyway to seemingly send a message. He got fouled, too. Now he needs to just work on being better than Shaq from the foul line.

Haha that is scary.

About CMac, I really did like his extra aggressiveness today. He finished like crap, but at least he made an effort to go up strong. One of the plays, he had no chance of dunking but grabbed the rim anyway to seemingly send a message. He got fouled, too. Now he needs to just work on being better than Shaq from the foul line.

lol...he did grab rim. Everyone in this game seemed to think that was a good idea. Two offensive goaltends from the non-scoring player grabbing the rim - haven't seen that twice in a game before (at least that I recall).

I think McC is going to be fine - which probably puts me in the minority, but I also think Joseph is going to continue to be very vanilla and blah...so I think at the moment I'm going against the grain in both categories.

He seemed to recognize that he had some big boys on him (weight wise) and tried to be aggressive going to the rim. His up and under moves aren't as polished as Rak's, but he seems to be trying to imitate his play. Which at least for me means the kid hasn't checked out - he's trying to evolve into more of a post player (the thing we all begged Donte Greene to do as he was putting up phenomenal numbers his Frosh year). He could just be hanging out firing away long jump shots...

All things considered, I think it's a positive as well what we saw tonight. If those moves come along, and he continues to acclimate himself to a more physical style of play his game should adjust and maybe he'll be putting up some double digits again by year's end (I think he will soon enough).

And it's really disheartening because Kaleb was really starting to look like that threat a few weeks ago, and now... not so much
It's strange because I thought he played really well and actually looked like the prospect we saw in HS at the Nova game. Since then it's like he's hesitant to shoot anywhere past the free throw line and doesn't seem to have any confidence in creating his own shot.

It's like Dan dakish said early in the season you should never put kaleb Joseph on the same side as rak...it is an instant double on rak with no kick out because kaleb won't even attempt a three.

His lack of even attempting a three makes allows the defense to cheat a tremendous amount to the low post and stifles the spacing and our general offense to a tremendous degree

Let's be honest, most teams are playing 4 or even 3 0n 5 on offense.

Agreed. The truth is that outside of Rak / Gbinije / Cooney, the rest of our team collectively managed to score 5 points.

That's between McCullough, Joseph, Buss, and Roberson. We simply can't afford to have that happen and expect to keep winning. I'm not saying that those guys have to each score double digits, but we can't afford to essentially get ZERO production from 4/7 of the lineup.

As much as I have been on JB's back about his quick hooks and not letting kid's get better, you simply cannot give the ball to McC instead of Rak in the hopes of him "growing." At this point in the season, with this team, we need every win (and every point) that we can get.

Agreed. The truth is that outside of Rak / Gbinije / Cooney, the rest of our team collectively managed to score 5 points.

That's between McCullough, Joseph, Buss, and Roberson. We simply can't afford to have that happen and expect to keep winning. I'm not saying that those guys have to each score double digits, but we can't afford to essentially get ZERO production from 4/7 of the lineup.

It is even more troubling that two of those 4 players are starters...rak is going to be in foul trouble in certain games down the road...each of those players should be putting up at a minimum 5 points individually

There is more than enough tape on CM for teams to have learned that they can easily stop him by being physical. Body up to him when he gets the ball is all it takes. If it costs a foul or 2, its worth it since he is a poor FT shooter.

There is more than enough tape on CM for teams to have learned that they can easily stop him by being physical. Body up to him when he gets the ball is all it takes. If it costs a foul or 2, its worth it since he is a poor FT shooter.

True. For a guy with such good shooting form, he's an abysmal free throw shooter, which is unacceptable. He leaves a lot of points by the wayside, since he gets fouled quite a bit. And it also costs him opportunities to get off the snide and rack up some easy points when he's having difficulty putting the ball in the basket.