5 hours ago... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

5 hours ago...

Watch out what you wish for. There are the same opinions on Anae that I've heard about Dino.

Babers would like to bring in Anae as Syracuse’s offensive coordinator, and Beck as the Orange quarterbacks coach. Babers did not retain Sterlin Gilbert, his team’s offensive coordinator/quarterback coach after a 5-7 season (2-6 in the ACC).

Both Anae and Beck came to Virginia with Bronco Mendenhall, who unexpectedly resigned days after the Cavaliers dropped their regular-season finale against Virginia Tech. In that game, Anae’s offense had a first-and-goal on its final possession, trailing by five, when he called a highly controversial tackle-eligible pass play that failed miserably.

While Anae directed a record-setting UVA offense this past season, he drew heavy criticism from the fan base for his poor timing and poor choice of “trick plays,” and questionable play-calling, along with game strategy.

Beck, on the other hand, is popular with UVA fans, who have expressed interest in new Cavaliers’ head coach Tony Elliott keeping the quarterback coach on his new staff. Beck, who also left BYU to follow Mendenhall to Charlottesville, has developed three record-breaking quarterbacks at UVA: Kurt Benkert (Green Bay Packers), Bryce Perkins (LA Rams) and present QB Brennan Armstrong, who is crushing the school’s all-time offensive marks.
Running a pass play on first down was considered a trick play under OC Gilbert.

We should just drop down to 1-AA at this point
Our coaching staff is going to stink, how dare he run a top 5 offense and then have a semi-bad play call...

psssstttt all fan bases hate the play calling
Last year Bills fans were terrified Brian Daboll would leave for a head coaching job and wanted the organization to make him the highest paid assistant in the league. This year he sucks and they're clamoring for him to be fired.

Last edited:
Fans have short selective memories. Nate Hackett got constant harsh criticism (on this board) until his final 2012 successful season. Some said he only got his job because his father, Paul, who was a successful college coach, NFL OC and friend of FHCDM.

I could care less about a few UVA fans. I'd say the UVA duo is as good as we could possibly hope for.

UVA was arguably worse than us (or at least as bad) before Bronco and his staff. They have a good history at BYU and had the Cavaliers on an upward trend.

We may have gotten incredibly lucky.

Last year Bills fans were terrified Brian Daboll would leave for a head coaching job and wanted the organization to make him the highest paid assistant in the league. This year he sucks and they're clamoring for him to be fired.

It’ll be comparable when it’s 5/6 seasons. Otherwise it’s just a NFL story that has nothing to do with SU, except they’re both football teams.

It’ll be comparable when it’s 5/6 seasons. Otherwise it’s just a NFL story that has nothing to do with SU, except they’re both football teams.
The context was UVA fans were mad at Anae for play calling. Guy runs a top 5 offense, and fans are mad, quick to turn on him over a play or two. Bills fans did the same with Daboll. Point is fans are irrational. Before you take an arrogant tone, maybe check the context.

The context was UVA fans were mad at Anae for play calling. Guy runs a top 5 offense, and fans are mad, quick to turn on him over a play or two. Bills fans did the same with Daboll. Point is fans are irrational. Before you take an arrogant tone, maybe check the context.

Hard to tell the context when there’s like 12 different topics in this thread. My bad though.

If you aren't a Dino fan you should be thrilled about Anae. If the HC doesn't have a lot of job security expectations for the hire have to be lowered.

I want an established OC like Anae.

QB coach is different there are a lot of good QB transfers on the market. I'd hire Calzada's HS coach/dad/one of his buddies if we could sign him and bring 2 WRs lower down on the depth chart from A+M with him.