5 man rotation? | Syracusefan.com

5 man rotation?

DomeStranger

All Conference
I don't remember seeing JB sub in the second half. Not one time ... did I miss one?

Would that be a first?

I don't remember seeing JB sub in the second half. Not one time ... did I miss one?

Would that be a first?

Its going to happen. This isnt modified hoops. Play who will help you win the game.

last year we saw him go with only 6 at times in the 2nd half

Keita played.

Rak played really well tonight, (and BMK played bad) otherwise I'm sure Baye would have got more run. But yeah I don't expect to see Cooney, Grant, or DC2 in any close games in the 2nd half this year.

Its going to happen. This isnt modified hoops. Play who will help you win the game.

I just hope it doesnt happen often ... we need some kind of depth.

Didn't watch game but early box score (espn) shows 5 players playing at least 38 minutes each. Against Providence? Wow

Keita played.

Rak played really well tonight, (and BMK played bad) otherwise I'm sure Baye would have got more run. But yeah I don't expect to see Cooney, Grant, or DC2 in any close games in the 2nd half this year.

I remember before the BE season started I was in a thread about playing time and there was a mention that Cooney would average 15 MPG in BE play. He's played 15 minutes total in the first 3 BE games.

You play your best, and since we play zone, JB is going to be able to play his starters (i'm including Southerland here) a ton of minutes. Those guys played 38 or 39 minutes.

And I'm pretty much fine with that; there are no back to backs, except in conf tournament play. They're kids, they can play a ton of minutes and be ok.

Can we win in the postseason with a 6 man rotation?

I don't see why not.

Last year in the title game UK played 4 starters 34, 35, or 36 minutes. Terrence Jones played 29 minutes, but he had 4 fouls, so I think he sat out some because of that. But they played 6 guys, with Wiltjer and Vargas getting 3 minutes apiece. Kansas played all 5 of their starters over 30 minutes, though they had 2 off the bench with more than 10 minutes.

I JUST WANT TO PUT A BIG EF YOU OUT TO ALL THE POSTERS WHO THOUGHT I WAS CRAZY FOR SAYING NO WAY WE GO 9 DEEP.

WHICH WAS PRACTICALLY EVERYONE ON HERE.

I USED CAPS FOR A REASON. I AM YELLING.

I JUST WANT TO PUT A BIG EF YOU OUT TO ALL THE POSTERS WHO THOUGHT I WAS CRAZY FOR SAYING NO WAY WE GO 9 DEEP.

definitely not me; there's really not much of a reason to go 9 deep in important games unless you play some super up tempo system

I remember before the BE season started I was in a thread about playing time and there was a mention that Cooney would average 15 MPG in BE play. He's played 15 minutes total in the first 3 BE games.

You play your best, and since we play zone, JB is going to be able to play his starters (i'm including Southerland here) a ton of minutes. Those guys played 38 or 39 minutes.

And I'm pretty much fine with that; there are no back to backs, except in conf tournament play. They're kids, they can play a ton of minutes and be ok.

Well for me the shocking thing was lack of distributed minutes was needed against Providence. Like I said I didn't watch so maybe it was just one of those games.

YOUR F YOU IS MISDIRECTED. OR BUST.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I think Grant does more positives them Dajuan or Cooney right now.
I am doubtfull that we won't need Cooney in march, but Triche and Mike are defenetly two of the top players to make me feel safe without him.
Also feel Grant has jumped Dajuan and Cooney right now. Dajuan has a great body but he doesn't play above the rim or cover ground well enough YET to be ready. Not sure he even touched the ball today.
Cooney is ahead of Dajuan because of his defensive speed but he brings like no offense.
Freshmen play on Scrappyness.

I hope Grant sees some more time and has a late Warrick like freshmen breakthrough.
More minutes and a few more touches in the mid/low post would help that.

Got to go into the tourney with more than 6 ready to contribute, or we'll be looking at a premature exit.

We don't have a 6 man rotation.

We have a 5 man rotation.

martin-strother.jpg

"You need to get your mind right."

Got to go into the tourney with more than 6 ready to contribute, or we'll be looking at a premature exit.

Correct. Just because we could play 5 guys at 38 or 39 minutes per game doesn't mean we should.

Guys are going to get into foul trouble, get dinged up, or just have a bad night. We need a bench. We can work around Grant not playing much, but Cooney and Coleman have got to be able to produce. The odds of getting through 6 (or even 4) games without both starting guards playing badly or Baye and Christmas getting into foul trouble is extremely low.

Correct. Just because we could play 5 guys at 38 or 39 minutes per game doesn't mean we should.

Guys are going to get into foul trouble, get dinged up, or just have a bad night. We need a bench. We can work around Grant not playing much, but Cooney and Coleman have got to be able to produce. The odds of getting through 6 (or even 4) games without both starting guards playing badly or Baye and Christmas getting into foul trouble is extremely low.
Why is Grant less important than Coleman?

5: Rak backup: BMK 3rd string: Coleman
4: Southerland backup: Grant
3: Fair backup: Grant

The way I see it, we need Grant more than we need Coleman since we essentially have no 3s or 4s besides Fair and Southerland. Cooney is the one we can get away with, Triche and MCW can play 38+ minutes and if need be, Southerland can play the 2; I don't think we'll ever see MCW, Triche or Cooney at the 3.

It is amazing to me that JB has not learned the importance of having depth late in the season. After AO getting hurt in 2010, and Fab's issue last year, you would think he would realize that you need to let these young bench players develop, so that they have a shot at being able to contribute, if needed, late in the season.

2010 - AO got hurt. Dashonte Riley had to step in after seeing almost NO playing time all year.

2012 - Fab got suspended. Rakeem had to step in after playing very limited minutes all year (Yes, I know he started, but as per usual, he was pulled quick after one mistake.)

You would think that developing these young bench players would be worth it in the long run, even if it means losing an extra game or two.

It is amazing to me that JB has not learned the importance of having depth late in the season. After AO getting hurt in 2010, and Fab's issue last year, you would think he would realize that you need to let these young bench players develop, so that they have a shot at being able to contribute, if needed, late in the season.

2010 - AO got hurt. Dashonte Riley had to step in after seeing almost NO playing time all year.

2012 - Fab got suspended. Rakeem had to step in after playing very limited minutes all year (Yes, I know he started, but as per usual, he was pulled quick after one mistake.)

You would think that developing these young bench players would be worth it in the long run, even if it means losing an extra game or two.
I don't think any coach has the mentality, during a game, "let's play the less experienced player, who cares if we lose", you can't take any game for granted, because you never know what could happen. Ridiculous statement.

Why is Grant less important than Coleman?

5: Rak backup: BMK 3rd string: Coleman
4: Southerland backup: Grant
3: Fair backup: Grant

The way I see it, we need Grant more than we need Coleman since we essentially have no 3s or 4s besides Fair and Southerland. Cooney is the one we can get away with, Triche and MCW can play 38+ minutes and if need be, Southerland can play the 2; I don't think we'll ever see MCW, Triche or Cooney at the 3.

Thinking that Christmas is capable of taking minutes at the four and that Fair and Southerland can log pretty heavy minutes and be effective. Haven't felt that we're as deep in the backcourt or at the five.

Understand what you're saying, though.

Thinking that Christmas is capable of taking minutes at the four and that Fair and Southerland can log pretty heavy minutes and be effective. Haven't felt that we're as deep in the backcourt or at the five.

Understand what you're saying, though.
I don't think we'll see that very often, in fact, I can't remember a time recently where BMK and Rak were on the floor it once; especially because on offense their both essentially the same player and clog up the lane. With Grant in the floor can still stay spaced and give us another shooter; I think it's more important to get Grant ready.

I don't think any coach has the mentality, during a game, "let's play the less experienced player, who cares if we lose", you can't take any game for granted, because you never know what could happen. Ridiculous statement.

I'm not saying that he should have the bench in for the last 4 minutes in a close game, or anything close to that. But he should have the mentality that developing players along the season is at least just as important as winning one particular game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom