50-50 balls | Syracusefan.com

50-50 balls

Newhouser

Hall of Fame
For me the most frustrating aspect of this team is that we consistently lose effort plays (or more than we should). At this point - the team knows they are up against it and maybe not as talented as they may have initially believed - yet they are beat to loose balls more often than not. Robey got beat to a ball in the first half that was obviously just getting out hustled. The Colson kid out worked us for rebounds all day. I know some of that is impacted by score, fatigue, and frankly the way the season is going, however effort and grit is something you can bring to every game no matter the talent, and we seem to lack both especially this year, when quite frankly we need it to help offset talent, chemistry and coaching issues.

The one constant in all of sports is effort. Its all I ask of my younger lacrosse playing son. Just give max effort. Its also the reason, as a massive SU fan, that Im not all in on this team. I refuse to enjoy lazy, uninspired play. It disgusts me as a fan and unfortunately this team has it in spades.

For me the most frustrating aspect of this team is that we consistently lose effort plays (or more than we should). At this point - the team knows they are up against it and maybe not as talented as they may have initially believed - yet they are beat to loose balls more often than not. Robey got beat to a ball in the first half that was obviously just getting out hustled. The Colson kid out worked us for rebounds all day. I know some of that is impacted by score, fatigue, and frankly the way the season is going, however effort and grit is something you can bring to every game no matter the talent, and we seem to lack both especially this year, when quite frankly we need it to help offset talent, chemistry and coaching issues.

Good observation. It's been happening all year. Not just on rebounds, but loose balls on the floor, etc. Even when the opponent has one guy there and we have three, their guy seems to come up with it. Extremely frustrating.

The one constant in all of sports is effort. Its all I ask of my younger lacrosse playing son. Just give max effort. Its also the reason, as a massive SU fan, that Im not all in on this team. I refuse to enjoy lazy, uninspired play. It disgusts me as a fan and unfortunately this team has it in spades.
Would you ask the same effort from your son if he was nursing an injury not bad enough for him not to play but maybe not play 100% either cause he can't or if he does he risks serious reinjury?

Would you ask the same effort from your son if he was nursing an injury not bad enough for him not to play but maybe not play 100% either cause he can't or if he does he risks serious reinjury?
I would not. Everything in life is push/pull for me. I am however under the belief that if you cant give 100% AND it takes away from the team then you should rest until its better. If you implying that some of the effort is injury based, with this SU team, I respectfully disagree. DCs knees are apparently filled with sand and glass, but I still always see and feel he is busting his ass. Other players, not so much

I would not. Everything in life is push/pull for me. I am however under the belief that if you cant give 100% AND it takes away from the team then you should rest until its better. If you implying that some of the effort is injury based, with this SU team, I respectfully disagree. DCs knees are apparently filled with sand and glass, but I still always see and feel he is busting his ass. Other players, not so much
I'm mostly thinking about Chuckwu getting hurt in the eye in the second game of the season and people forgetting that probably made a difference in his play, until the second eye injury took him out for the rest of the season.

But other players like Lydon played injured too at least for a while.

They had to unless JB was going to use the walkons before garbage time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom