6 Assists | Syracusefan.com

6 Assists

newmexicuse

All Conference
I did not get to see the game, but that stat has to say something about ball movement or lack thereof.

What has happened to our 75% assist ratio from earlier in the season ?

I did not get to see the game, but that stat has to say something about ball movement or lack thereof.

The player movement and the ball movement last night was terrible. We set no screens or pathetic screens. Eli stood in the corner for half of all possessions last night. They should have had him bringing up the ball on some possessions. We didn’t set any good off ball screens to get shooters open. The broadcast guys kept bringing up the fact that Va Tech plays a pressure man to man. But their defensive efficiency is 85 in KenPom. They are not a juggernaut. Off ball screens and better movement and passing should have made a difference. Our top 3 players—Eli, Marek and Buddy—looked lost and out to lunch last night for long stretches and kept making bad errors in the second half, but then would suddenly come alive. They need to bring it on every possession. But it’s also the reason why you need to develop a bench.

The player movement and the ball movement last night was terrible. We set no screens or pathetic screens. Eli stood in the corner for half of all possessions last night. They should have had him bringing up the ball on some possessions. We didn’t set any good off ball screens to get shooters open. The broadcast guys kept bringing up the fact that Va Tech plays a pressure man to man. But their defensive efficiency is 85 in KenPom. They are not a juggernaut. Off ball screens and better movement and passing should have made a difference. Our top 3 players—Eli, Marek and Buddy—looked lost and out to lunch last night for long stretches and kept making bad errors in the second half, but then would suddenly come alive. They need to bring it on every possession. But it’s also the reason why you need to develop a bench.

I know - we seemed to have some success early with Marek going toward the rim, and then Eli seemed to be able to get to the rim. Late in the game he was taking some pretty weak pull-ups where he seemed more concerned about drawing contact...but otherwise, getting those guys heading into the lane, or even showing there, seemed the best option. Otherwise, we seemed rather stagnant after coming out the gates really aggressive.

Very different from the good games we have had this year. This reverted to a lot of the stuff we've seen the last couple of seasons. Credit to Tech for their adjustments, always having a few different guys in front of our guards and making it tough on Hughes.

We’re 3rd in the nation at assists per field goals made still. But in ACC play only (amongst ACC teams) , we’re 6th in the conference

we assist on 67.5%on our baskets still, but 58.3% during acc play

against us, teams get assists on 74.4% of their baskets, which is best (or worst) in the country.

And the leaders were Marek, Hughes, and JGIII with 2 each, and the only ones with an assist.

Congratulations Mr Kroeger, you're at the head of the Delta pledge class.

VaTech played in your face pressure defense, Obviously passing and ball movement are taken away. We needed Hughes and Marek to take their guys to the rim and finish in this scenario. This was a game where we needed to go one on one.
We failed
Yeah. This wasn't like the last few years where our guys didn't seem to be trying to run any semblance of an offense. This was a case where the defense took away any flow. VT was quicker and stronger.

Yeah. This wasn't like the last few years where our guys didn't seem to be trying to run any semblance of an offense. This was a case where the defense took away any flow. VT was quicker and stronger.

Last year's VaTech team may have shut us out!!! :(

We seem to perpetually undervalue having a legitimate PG playing...…...it's strange, because it seems like at some point it may become noticeable.

Last year's VaTech team may have shut us out!!! :(

We seem to perpetually undervalue having a legitimate PG playing...…...it's strange, because it seems like at some point it may become noticeable.
We need to help our guys overcome their deficiencies. Our offenses don't help and Marek and Eli were not good attacking the rim. Poor handle has been a problem for this program for a while.

I know - we seemed to have some success early with Marek going toward the rim, and then Eli seemed to be able to get to the rim. Late in the game he was taking some pretty weak pull-ups where he seemed more concerned about drawing contact...but otherwise, getting those guys heading into the lane, or even showing there, seemed the best option. Otherwise, we seemed rather stagnant after coming out the gates really aggressive.

Yes! I said during this stretch that he's gone Kris Joseph on us - he wasn't looking to score, he was looking to get fouled. (By the way, kind of sorry to see no officiating comments...SU earned the loss, but they were on the wrong end of a lot of bad calls again.)

Not his best performance.

i thought the early assists numbers were a promising sign. sadly that trend has come to an end.

Ball movement was bad last night. Not sure how much can be attributed to VA Tech getting after it on d. Our lack of athleticism from the guard spots is eye opening and creating many problems for our defense. Too many forced shots and we see what we saw last night. Good news is that we are a young team who I think will get better in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom