6PM Depaul start | Syracusefan.com

6PM Depaul start

Cheriehoop

Moderator/ 2019-20 Iggy Winner Reg Season Rcd
Was watching the Section 3 basketball sectionals today at the dome and the announcers said that the dome had requested the earlier game start to help them with prep time for a Monster Truck show. Thought it was interesting.

Bizarre. I looked up the truck event and it is on Saturday. The hour is going to make that much difference?

Well, in case anyone in the SU AD office cares, I think this was a terrible idea. A 6 pm start makes it really difficult for those of us who work to get home, get changed, have dinner, pick up others, drive to the dome, park, walk up and get seated.

You shouldn't have to take vacation time in order to get to your seat for the tipoff. This is especially irritating because it is Senior Day and the seniors will be honored before the game.

When the crowd is abnormally small for one of the biggest moments of the senior player's careers, know SU AD office that this was your doing.

Bizarre. I looked up the truck event and it is on Saturday. The hour is going to make that much difference?

That is the reason. If the extra hour of prep time is so critical, perhaps they should have pushed the start time of the Truck-a-pa-lozza back one hour and kept the hoop tip time at the usual 7PM.

It's a terrible thing for our seniors! I am mad. God knows they need all the good vibes they can get!

You shouldn't have to take vacation time in order to get to your seat for the tipoff. This is especially irritating because it is Senior Day and the seniors will be honored before the game.

By the time everyone gets to their seats, Triche and Southerland will have already graduated.

are they working 24 hrs a day to get ready for the thing on sat? if 1 hr is going to make a difference then they have bigger issues

Well, in case anyone in the SU AD office cares, I think this was a terrible idea. A 6 pm start makes it really difficult for those of us who work to get home, get changed, have dinner, pick up others, drive to the dome, park, walk up and get seated.

When the crowd is abnormally small for one of the biggest moments of the senior player's careers, know SU AD office that this was your doing.

Yet another example of the ineptitude of the AD's office at Syracuse. Its clear that some up there simply dont get it and probably never will.

are they working 24 hrs a day to get ready for the thing on sat? if 1 hr is going to make a difference then they have bigger issues
Not that I agree with it but: for the record, the Monster Jam show is Saturday night, but they also have an event there on Friday (essentially a meet and greet with the driver and trucks).

I imagine it takes quite a bit of time to set up with the dirt, etc. but how an hour makes that big of a difference is beyond me, especially when it impacts basketball.

That is the reason. If the extra hour of prep time is so critical, perhaps they should have pushed the start time of the Truck-a-pa-lozza back one hour and kept the hoop tip time at the usual 7PM.
You don't push back the start time of your biggest single money-making event. The sad reality is that the crowd Wed night will likely be small (no matter the start time), even with it being Senior Night. I don't expect a big student crowd for a Wed night game against DePaul in the midst of a 3-game losing streak that has brought out all of the doomsayers and it's not really a senior class that will make people say "I have to be there to send off ______".

Btw, I'm never a fan of 6pm weeknight starts, I'm just giving my opinion as to why it would make sense for the Dome to make the call.

Was watching the Section 3 basketball sectionals today at the dome and the announcers said that the dome had requested the earlier game start to help them with prep time for a Monster Truck show. Thought it was interesting.

Well, please pass on our appreciation to Brandon and James since us out-of-towners will have to race up 81 just to make it before halftime. I'm never critical of the University or athletic department but this was a clueless move. Priorities, people!

This is the most absurd thing I've ever heard. Why not have it on Tuesday if that hour is such an issue? For Triche and Southerland (and walkons?), that's not a great way to go into your final home game. I can't believe a silly monster truck rally on SATURDAY is causing the SU basketball game on WEDNESDAY to be moved up an hour. This might be the dumbest thing the AD has come up with.

So monster trucks>NYS Fair?

Monster Players like Triche and Southy should drive on the court with two of those trucks. That would be cool. We can worry about the tread marks later or just put them on the depaul player's backs...

You don't push back the start time of your biggest single money-making event. The sad reality is that the crowd Wed night will likely be small (no matter the start time), even with it being Senior Night. I don't expect a big student crowd for a Wed night game against DePaul in the midst of a 3-game losing streak that has brought out all of the doomsayers and it's not really a senior class that will make people say "I have to be there to send off ______".

Btw, I'm never a fan of 6pm weeknight starts, I'm just giving my opinion as to why it would make sense for the Dome to make the call.

I would say that Basketball is the bigger money making event if you look at it holistically. And regardless of how this season is going Brandon is a four year starter that has been a big part of the one of the winningest stretches in our history. He should get a warm send off...bad enough it is not on a weekend, but then to move it up to a 5:30-5:45 p.m. time frame is borderline criminal.

On a semi-related note, how does this Monster Truck Madness thingy not rip the turf to shreds?

Not exactly hard hitting journalism but here is at least part of the answer:
Yup, it was mentioned in a couple of threads this week.

I just love this comment on the referenced article:
I know this is Nancy Cantors fav event of the season.

Yup, it was mentioned in a couple of threads this week.

I just love this comment on the referenced article:
Ah, haven't been on much so must have missed it.

Great comment!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom