7/9 on the roster will exceed | Syracusefan.com

7/9 on the roster will exceed

20Plus

I firmly believe out of the nine players seven will be better than anticipated

My top three that will exceed expectations
1.Marek- just love his game especially a couple of his quick releases and how quickly he gathers a ball and makes a play it is just incredible

2..Sidbe- Blue-collar with more skill than I thought
3.Washington- A touch smaller than I thought but skills nonetheless

4.Brissett- Best of the bunch but we already assume he's going to be a top three player on this team.

5.Thorpe- not the highest ceiling but will play great defense shoot it well enough to handle it well enough and be versatile enough to really bring this team together

6.Frank- frustrate at times but I think we will shoot it better and play better defense than we've ever seen from him.

7.Battle- bigger stronger and just a bulldog will be all league!

I hope I'm wrong and I love Matt but I'm just not sure it's all going to get put together. Chuwku i'm hopeful I'm wrong on this one too but I don't think shaking off two years of rust is going to make a huge difference.

1.Marek- just love his game especially a couple of his quick releases and how quickly he gathers a ball and makes a play it is just incredible

4.Brissett- Best of the bunch but we already assume he's going to be a top three player on this team.

5.Thorpe- not the highest ceiling but will play great defense shoot it well enough to handle it well enough and be versatile enough to really bring this team together

6.Frank- frustrate at times but I think we will shoot it better and play better defense than we've ever seen from him.

I hope I'm wrong and I love Matt but I'm just not sure it's all going to get put together. Chuwku i'm hopeful I'm wrong on this one too but I don't think shaking off two years of rust is going to make a huge difference.
I fully expect for Battle to have a Silent G type senior year where he scored 17.5 ppg, 4.1 rbg, 4.3 asp and 2.5 3's per game at 39% while playing 37.5 mpg. Maybe not as many assists, but the rock will be in his hands. Like G, he will have a chip on his shoulder for nothing being named preseason anything.

If Thorpe can match his stats from USF, I think Orange Nation will be pleasantly pleased.

Brissett is a stud and a dome fan favorite. Huuuuugggggggggggggeeeeeeeee upside. I hope I'm not wrong but let's hope he has a good enough year that he will be considered as "He Gone!!!".

Sidebe will definitely get the minutes to prove his worth. I think Marek will need to earn his minutes. Let's hope he does.

I don't know if it's a good thing when your bottom four out of five players will exceed expectations

I think I'd rather take Moyer to be ready to play a primary role than what I've outlined but it's just not what I see right now

i am not with you on dolezaj. he can't shoot from the perimeter and he's too slight to play inside. maybe by his junior year he can contribute offensively but i don't expect anything from him this year. if the exhibition means anything :rolleyes: then he'll add value when we go to the press, which should be often, but other than that I think at this point he's no better than the 8th or 9th man for a coach who rarely plays more than 7.

i am not with you on dolezaj. he can't shoot from the perimeter and he's too slight to play inside. maybe by his junior year he can contribute offensively but i don't expect anything from him this year. if the exhibition means anything :rolleyes: then he'll add value when we go to the press, which should be often, but other than that I think at this point he's no better than the 8th or 9th man for a coach who rarely plays more than 7.

I disagree.

JB's ideal rotation is typically:
3 guards
3 forwards
2 bigs

OSB has one F position on total lockdown. 30-35+ mins/game, when the games count.
The other will be some combo of Moyer/Marek/maybe some Battle. Marek WILL get some PT.
(Battle can'only' play 40, and he's going to have at least 30+ at the 2 every nite.)

The 2 bigs are SB and PC, likely in that order in terms of playing time, if not who starts the game.

Guards are Tyus (for 36+ a game), Geno (if his ankle ever gets better), Frank... and barring injury or Frank still being Frank, then Washington gets the Frosh MCW treatment this year, and plays sparingly, and hardly at all during conference play.

You know how Boeheim do.

That is just not right. He may have some players in front of them but Jim is going to press and when he presses he'll want him in there.

I also qualify that he's a bottom fuor player!

The player who surprised me the most from the first scrimmage was HW. He is capable of contributing on offense right away, which surprised me, but his defense was pretty far behind the other guards. Not totally unexpected for a Frosh but he was out of position quite a bit, went under screens, and appeared to be slow on rotations. Not a big deal against a D2 team but unacceptable against ACC. If he doesn't improve those 3 areas I don't see how he gets significant minutes during the season.

If we blindly looked at just overall number when their careers are over we may say Roberson, but because of his horrible inconsistency I agree that I'd take Moyer as of right now.
Moyers going to have better numbers than him

more blocks more points better free-throw percentage, Way more assist and less turnovers etc.

Moyers going to have better numbers than him

more blocks more points better free-throw percentage, Way more assist and less turnovers etc.

He hasn't played a game yet, while it very well could be true must we not forget that most had Roberson pegged as one or two and done.

I’m a huge marek fan. Give me a seat on his bandwagon. Not sure how things will work out for him but I just get a strong ‘glue guy’ vibe. Guy who makes an impact without needing the ball in his hands too much.

If we blindly looked at just overall number when their careers are over we may say Roberson, but because of his horrible inconsistency I agree that I'd take Moyer as of right now.
Spitting truth right there!

Roberson was one of the most frustrating players for me. I've said it before, someone needed to sit him down and show him footage of Dennis Rodman. That's the kind of player he should have been aiming to be. That game in Duke was one of the most impressive individual performances for any Orange player, even though I didn't expect that night in and night out...he still had it in there and didn't tap into it!!

He hasn't played a game yet, while it very well could be true must we not forget that most had Roberson pegged as one or two and done.

I'm not sure I had him pegged that way but I don't really remember his recruitment. I'm getting old. But I think Roberson is tough to really grade out -- either for his career or in terms of just saying would you rather have him vs. moyer.

As much of a wash as Roberson's senior season was, he still averaged around 7 and 7 over nearly 100 games his final three seasons and only averaged about 1.25 TOs per game, which if you're touching the ball a decent amount on offense is not a particularly high number. Free throws, if Moyer is solid from the line, is a no-brainer I guess (.565 for Roberson's final 3 years) and blocks doesn't seem like much of a question if that's an area where Moyer has some aptitude.

But ultimately Moyer outdoing roberson isn't as much as an open/shut case as people think. I mean two other things to consider:

1. Roberson put together one of the best individual performances in an NCAA tournament game that we've seen, IMO, and had an absolutely special game vs. Duke that probably was the single biggest reason we even made the tourney to begin with. Going 14 and 20 in a HUGE conference win against a top opponent on the road, and then backing that up with 9 and 12 against Gonzaga was absolutely essential to our success. I mean, his first four games of that tourney he averaged basically 10 and 12.

2. I think if this program is on the upswing I'd venture a guess that Moyer could be much more of a role player (Roberson would have been, ideally as well) beyond this year. I mean, ok, if he comes in and averages 9 and 7 and plays really solid basketball then maybe things change, but he strikes me as a guy who would be a solid energy/D/hustle guy off the bench as opposed to a four-year 30+ mins/game starter here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom