8-4 | Syracusefan.com

8-4

Rocco, I have to give you credit--after the scrimmage @ Fort Drum, you were the one who insisted that [a] the OL was way better than the media was reporting, and (b) that the offense was going to surprise people in terms of how prolific they are.

Great call on both counts. Can't remember the last time we had an exciting offensive attack--not going out on a limb when I suggest that it was McNabb's senior year.

Rocco, I have to give you credit--after the scrimmage @ Fort Drum, you were the one who insisted that [a] the OL was way better than the media was reporting, and (b) that the offense was going to surprise people in terms of how prolific they are.

Great call on both counts. Can't remember the last time we had an exciting offensive attack--not going out on a limb when I suggest that it was McNabb's senior year.

The offense is dynamic. They need to begin to cut Smith out as he does not work when we are playing no-huddle. Everytime he touched the ball up the gut or off-guard it was abysmal. He lacks break away speed and doesn't hit the holes quick enough. PTG was so much better today, which makes 2 weeks in a row. It is just frustrating when SU is throwing the ball well, and then run a center jam with Smith for no gain.

Nassib is playing great and the offense will continue to evolve, which is very exciting.

I will post a long one tomorrow. ;)

The offense is dynamic. They need to begin to cut Smith out as he does not work when we are playing no-huddle. Everytime he touched the ball up the gut or off-guard it was abysmal. He lacks break away speed and doesn't hit the holes quick enough. PTG was so much better today, which makes 2 weeks in a row. It is just frustrating when SU is throwing the ball well, and then run a center jam with Smith for no gain.

Nassib is playing great and the offense will continue to evolve, which is very exciting.

I wonder if they plan to red shirt AAM and Morris? Haven't seen either thus far.

I wonder if they plan to red shirt AAM and Morris? Haven't seen either thus far.

Morris - yes IMO
AAM - will be in if Smith gets hurt

Morris - yes IMO
AAM - will be in if Smith gets hurt

No offense to the player, but I wonder if AAM has been recruited over.

Not yet... AAM looked just as good as JS in camp, if not better. He is a better runner, but has a tough time catching the ball.

I read some where that Alabama played 14 true freshmen last week. Being recruited over happens...It is a good thing.

I read some where that Alabama played 14 true freshmen last week. Being recruited over happens...It is a good thing.
Agreed. It's a sign the talent is improving.

I don't know how you can say AAM has been recruited over when the two guys getting carries ahead of him are upperclassmen. Then there's Broyld, while he's getting the occasional carry he's in there more for his multiple looks. I wouldn't really compare AAM to AB.

I don't know how you can say AAM has been recruited over when the two guys getting carries ahead of him are upperclassmen. Then there's Broyld, while he's getting the occasional carry he's in there more for his multiple looks. I wouldn't really compare AAM to AB.

AB & AAM are completely different positions in this O.

Maybe he is behind both Morris and McFarland? If so, that by definition, is being recruited over. Add Edwards and Smith next year and he might never see the field. Hopefully, AAM is a stud and is nursing some minor injury.

Fair. But it isn't just Smith / Gulley, who are both juniors and will return next year [barring the unforeseen]. Also factor in Morris, McFarlane, and Gus Edwards. And I suppose Broyld, who fits at a couple of different positions.

I want to be clear: I'm not knocking AAM. Hope he has a great career in Orange.

Smith isn't getting cut out.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Maybe he is behind both Morris and McFarland? If so, that by definition, is being recruited over. Add Edwards and Smith next year and he might never see the field. Hopefully, AAM is a stud and is nursing some minor injury.
Considering none of those guys have played yet this year, I'm not sure how anyone can jump to that conclusion.

Marrone is always trying to "over recruit" the current players. It makes for stronger competition and ultimately a better team. Survival of the fittest.

good points.

Which doesn't help this offensive scheme...

I don't know--maybe Smith isn't the every down back some projected, but he's done some very positive things both games. Kid has been a solid receiver out of the backfield, has made some nice receptions for first downs, etc.

My opinion only, but I think it is becoming pretty clear that PTG is the top talent in the backfield this year. But I think we'll need BOTH PTG and Smith to be successful this year, and I'm liking what I'm seeing from both of these guys. OL isn't superior, and yet we've gotten decent rushing yardage both games.

I don't know--maybe Smith isn't the every down back some projected, but he's done some very positive things both games. Kid has been a solid receiver out of the backfield, has made some nice receptions for first downs, etc.

My opinion only, but I think it is becoming pretty clear that PTG is the top talent in the backfield this year. But I think we'll need BOTH PTG and Smith to be successful this year, and I'm liking what I'm seeing from both of these guys. OL isn't superior, and yet we've gotten decent rushing yardage both games.

You are right that Smith has made some nice receptions this year, but PTG is a way better fit in this offense IMO. The gut buster runs late in the game made no sense. Smith is a good downhill runner, but in a game like last night, we need playmakers on the field. PTG fits that role along with AB.

You are right that Smith has made some nice receptions this year, but PTG is a way better fit in this offense IMO. The gut buster runs late in the game made no sense. Smith is a good downhill runner, but in a game like last night, we need playmakers on the field. PTG fits that role along with AB.

So you question the play calling then. And AB has not shown anything more yet except anticipated potential. Haven't seen a play yet that made me go wow.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom