80/1000 | Syracusefan.com

80/1000

Ish88888

All American
Yes, we got smoked last night by one of the best players in college football. Jackson is one of the best qbs the dome has ever seen. Anyone else notice how many times he put the ball on his recievers hands, in stride, and dropped? At least 10-12 times. We actually lucked out on defense. These were routes in full stride over the middle with our dbs in their customary trailing position. He could have easily hung 80-100 points on us with > 1000 yds. Thats why he graded his offense as a C. He was right, was calling out his recievers. The T2 is a pro defensive style. You need pro level talent in the secondary and dline for it to click. Its basically non existent in P5 football. It may have worked for ward and dino in the MAC but this is a different ballgame. I know we need to recruit better talent on d, and hope i am wrong about the T2. We have a fast and physical USF team coming in this week. Alot like the ville in style, a step down in talent, but a huge game.

You don't hope you are wrong, you are still reeling over Scott Shafer. We get it

I think this is an honest take. What exactly is incorrect with it?

I recall Gruden, in one of his random tirades a couple years ago, say "I can teach my wife the Tampa 2 in 30 minutes." It may work for Dino, but he needs to get the proper players in first. "We" are currently thin.

I recall Gruden, in one of his random tirades a couple years ago, say "I can teach my wife the Tampa 2 in 30 minutes." It may work for Dino, but he needs to get the proper players in first. "We" are currently thin.
he taught his wife to cut his hair with a flowbie in 30 minutes

i'm convinced that college football is about tradeoffs (everything is, but especially college football)- I'm fine with a subpar system on defense so they can focus on offense because I'm convinced that scheme matters more on offense. no scheme is saving these players on defense. recruit guys with the NFL story and accept that you're probably not going to shut anyone down

pitt looks like a d1 team, strong ol and dl ---we look like d2 in comparison---i guess i am just stuck on traditional football.more so on defense. maybe its the scheme we use that makes us look so bad. i hope so. i hope the talent gap is not 800+yds wide

i'm convinced that college football is about tradeoffs (everything is, but especially college football)- I'm fine with a subpar system on defense so they can focus on offense because I'm convinced that scheme matters more on offense. no scheme is saving these players on defense. recruit guys with the NFL story and accept that you're probably not going to shut anyone down

Agree 100%, the goal on defense is to be below average not just horrific

You need pro level talent to run a tampa 2 if you are playing against pro level talent across the board.

The Tampa 2 is a 4-3 front seven that is primarily Cover 2. The only difference between Tampa 2 and traditional Cover 2 is the depth of the MLB- In this sense it looks more like Cover 3 with the MLB responsible for deep middle third. Safeties are responsible for left and right deep thirds, respectively.

We are not getting killed on teams exploiting the deep middle third. We are getting killed on teams exploiting all elements of the secondary. This is twofold. One is on the secondary, the other is on the pass rush.

Tampa 2 is not some exotic animal. It works but requires commitment, known assignments, and appropriate personnel- namely safeties that can take out 1/2 the field or a freak MLB. Everything is comparable to the talent level you are up against. If the front 4 can't control the line of scrimmage or generate a pass rush then you can have the best designed defense in the world. Also if the secondary can't blanket receivers you are similarly screwed.

We could not do either against Lousiville- a team that returned 100% of their offensive yards from last year. Shocker I know.

But it does not matter that we are Tampa 2. Its a coverage scheme. We really only have 3 down lineman. I think we should run a 3-3-5 okie all the time. The problem is that we don't have 5 DBs. We may have 3 LBs.

The point is we have a system. This is actually refreshing. It gives some direction, continuity and a goal in recruitment. The Tampa 2 will be fine against similar talent teams which may be UCONN, BC, and Wake this year (possibly NC State as well). We are going to have some problems against USF. Maybe we can score 50 on them because I can't see us stopping them. Same with Pitt.

You don't hope you are wrong, you are still reeling over Scott Shafer. We get it

No, you dont get it. You have obviously missed all of my dino love posts; or is it selective reading?

saying its a tampa 2 issue. is forgetting that we dont run tampa 2 schemes on every play. im not sure any scheme is supposed 2 have cover 2 safeties out of position by 20 yds.

also i think the dline play was fine at the pass rush for a large number of plays. the issue wasnt the pressure we created it was that we couldnt tackle the kid.

the lack of a running game is the biggest issue. we got 400+ yds but cant really run. 3 and outs most of the 2nd half meant there was no tempo.

from the first 5 min of the game to the start of the 4th and all the chaos of the game we out scored them 28-21. so there is some hope as thats 40 min of decent effort even when outmanned.

if we had any kind of decent oline play we score 40 by the 4th and then who knows what happens. UL clearly has more skill players, but the scheme is gonna get jackson creamed one of these games.

We could have been running a 3-3-5, all out blitz, even a 4-2-5 and Mr. Jackson still would have torched us. It's amazing how many people are focusing on how "bad" the defense was. We should be saying the Defense could have played better, but damn Mr. Jackson sure is a beast. We had him contained on a number of plays and he is show fast he just out ran it. I thought the D-Line played well, Louisvilles OLine seemed to be getting away with a lot, LB's where okay, and the secondary is a hot mess for sure. BUT damn is Jackson amazing to watch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom