9 day hiatus mid season? | Syracusefan.com

9 day hiatus mid season?

Flacusian

All Conference
Is there any rationale for the large gap between games which comes in the middle of the heart of the ACC schedule? Do other teams have similar voids in their schedules? I'm not entirely sure as to whether this helps the team or works against it. It seems like there are pros and cons but as a fan it's horrible.

We come roaring back in our last game and it seems like the team is really starting to coalesce and then...
crickets... for more than a week? I just don't get it and I for sure, don't like it.

Yours truly,
Withdrawl in Fla.

Last edited:
From my perspective as a fan, I hate it. Boeheim doesn't like it, and I bet a lot of the players don't either. However, there is one benefit to this mid-season break. Any players who've been dealing with injuries that we might not have heard about have an amazing opportunity to get back to 100%.

Is there any rationale for the large gap between games which comes in the middle of the heart of the ACC schedule? Do other teams have similar voids in their schedules? I'm not entirely sure as to whether this helps the team or works against it. It seems like there are pros and cons but as a fan it's horrible.

We come roaring back in our last game and it seems like the team is really starting to coalesce and then...
crickets... for more than a week? I just don't get it and I for sure, don't like it.

Yours truly,
Withdrawl in Fla.
yea, it sucks not watching the team, not seeing them maintain the upward trend they've been on wining games they should. But it does give guys time for some much needed rest. Trevor had no legs the last game, VaTech was the aggressor and it nearly cost them a W, so the rest they are earning cannot be overstated as a huge dividend. I hope that it translates to a 45% plus shooting percentage Thursday, so they can leap frog the Noles.

From my perspective as a fan, I hate it. Boeheim doesn't like it, and I bet a lot of the players don't either. However, there is one benefit to this mid-season break. Any players who've been dealing with injuries that we might not have heard about have an amazing opportunity to get back to 100%.

My concern is they come out cold after not playing for so long. We are strangers in a strange land. The South has never forgiven us for whooping them in the civil war. It's that simple.

Yours truly,
Withdrawl in Fla.

Cooney shot under 20% from 3 in Feb and March last year.

When you go 6.5 deep, you need the rest.

I think it's great.

Rather come out with some rust but be recharged for the stretch run...

Early reports are telling me cusehulk was arrested for putting out a threat directed towards the chief scheduler.

More to come.

It looks like the self-imposed ban did not work again.

Quick trip to Cancun for some R&R to get pumped up for stretch run?

Cooney shot under 20% from 3 in Feb and March last year.

When you go 6.5 deep, you need the rest.

I think it's great.

Rather come out with some rust but be recharged for the stretch run...

I just hope they do not come out flat against Florida State. JB will be earning his pay on Thursday if they get victory.

This will prepare the players well for the 6 or 7 day break they winning the Tournament Regional.

Last edited:
Boeheim doesn't like it, and I bet a lot of the players don't either. However, there is one benefit to this mid-season break. Any players who've been dealing with injuries that we might not have heard about have an amazing opportunity to get back to 100%.

That wasn't my take at all from the recent P-S article:
http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske..._much-needed_time_off.html#incart_river_index

"This has been a tough week, a tough four-game stretch,'' Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said after his team's 69-60 overtime win over Virginia Tech. "Everybody's tired. I know I need a couple days off, for sure.''

"I think we need some time off,'' Boeheim said. "We need to work on some things. We had the toughest part of our schedule and then we had a little breather; there is no breather, but now we're going to have the toughest part of our schedule coming up again.''

As for how the players view the time off, one of the reasons they cited for their sluggish play against VT was being worn down physically and mentally after playing 11 ACC games the the past 35 days. It has to affect guys like Cooney and Gbinje, who log >37 min/game. Personally, I think the break comes at a perfect time as we prepare to make our stretch run, when we play 7 ACC games in the final 24 days leading up to the ACC tournament.

That wasn't my take at all from the recent P-S article:
http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske..._much-needed_time_off.html#incart_river_index

"This has been a tough week, a tough four-game stretch,'' Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said after his team's 69-60 overtime win over Virginia Tech. "Everybody's tired. I know I need a couple days off, for sure.''

"I think we need some time off,'' Boeheim said. "We need to work on some things. We had the toughest part of our schedule and then we had a little breather; there is no breather, but now we're going to have the toughest part of our schedule coming up again.''

As for how the players view the time off, one of the reasons they cited for their sluggish play against VT was being worn down physically and mentally after playing 11 ACC games the the past 35 days. It has to affect guys like Cooney and Gbinje, who log >37 min/game. Personally, I think the break comes at a perfect time as we prepare to make our stretch run, when we play 7 ACC games in the final 24 days leading up to the ACC tournament.

JB's a flip-flopper!!! haha

He was pretty adamant in one of his post game pressers that 9 days off was too much.

He was pretty adamant in one of his post game pressers that 9 days off was too much.

I don't think he's flip-flopping. I think there's just pros and cons to 9 days. I imagine the 9 days off is really great for all the players because undoubtedly each of them has dinks that hopefully are now healed.

Again, my biggest concern is they come out flat on Thursday after such a short break. I hope JB does whatever is necessary to get their brains back into conference game mode.

I still think every win down the stretch here is absolutely essential to get into the NCAA tournament. We really need the Florida State win at home. It will really look bad on our resume for the tournament if we lose.

I believe all the ACC teams get a week long break at some point in the season. It wasn't always this way, but since expansion moved the conference to 15 teams, it has been the case. Of course, I remember 30 years ago when Virginia would play ranked OOC teams in January and/or February, and no one seems to do THAT anymore. Then, again, there were only eight members in the ACC in the 80's (and only seven for most of the 70's). Contemporary logic seems to dictate that once you celebrate the New Year and the ball drops in Times Square, you limit your schedule to conference foes.

I believe all the ACC teams get a week long break at some point in the season. It wasn't always this way, but since expansion moved the conference to 15 teams, it has been the case. Of course, I remember 30 years ago when Virginia would play ranked OOC teams in January and/or February, and no one seems to do THAT anymore. Then, again, there were only eight members in the ACC in the 80's (and only seven for most of the 70's). Contemporary logic seems to dictate that once you celebrate the New Year and the ball drops in Times Square, you limit your schedule to conference foes.

There are actually 2 of those breaks built into everyone's schedule. With 15 teams, everyone has 1 weekend "bye" and one weekday "bye". Normally you play 2 games a week, 1 weekday game and a weekend game. It might have worked out nicer if we played a Thursday game before our bye and a Tuesday game after (instead of the opposite) but that's TV scheduling when they want what games. We have another week off coming up after this tough stretch of 4 games in 9 days so it's just the reality of scheduling with 15 conference teams.

I'm sure Boeheim could look to schedule an OOC game, but it would take some coordination with the league offices to know when the "byes" would happen and of course coordinating with the opponent and their league. Tough to make happen with all the competing interests.

Well good thing we don't have 9 days off then, it's only 8.

Again, my biggest concern is they come out flat on Thursday after such a short break. .
I'd buy that if they were playing great ball but they came out flat vs GT and VT and could just as easily be staring at a 2-game losing streak. If anything the break might help them get refocused.

Flacusian said:

Yours truly,
Withdrawl in Fla.

15 team leagues will do that to you once conference season starts. Go to 16.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom