A big advantage next year | Syracusefan.com

A big advantage next year

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
Besides more talent.

Practice. Yes, we’re talking practice.

People realize how important practice is. Even players who didn’t play much have said how much better they got just from who they went up against every day. Sherm and Andy come to mind.

This year, think about who the starters went up against. A hobbled Sidibe at the 5, Moyer who was hobbled for a few weeks at the 4, a walk-on at the 3, Hughes at the 2, which was a good thing, and then HW for awhile at PG, but then a walk-on with all walk ons as subs. Not good.

Next year will be very much different. For arguments sake let’s say Battle leaves and the rest return. Also, let’s say the starters are Howard, Carey, Brissett, Baz, and Chewy.

Assuming good health, that means they'd be going against Sidibe, Moyer, Dolezaj, Hughes, Washington and Buddy. Not a collection of 5 star studs but a very solid and experienced group. Certainly much better than walk ons and the walking wounded.

Practices should be very competitive next year. It’s highly underrated.

Besides more talent.

Practice. Yes, we’re talking practice.

People realize how important practice is. Even players who didn’t play much have said how much better they got just from who they went up against every day. Sherm and Andy come to mind.

This year, think about who the starters went up against. A hobbled Sidibe at the 5, Moyer who was hobbled for a few weeks at the 4, a walk-on at the 3, Hughes at the 2, which was a good thing, and then HW for awhile at PG, but then a walk-on with all walk ons as subs. Not good.

Next year will be very much different. For arguments sake let’s say Battle leaves and the rest return. Also, let’s say the starters are Howard, Carey, Brissett, Baz, and Chewy.

Assuming good health, that means they'd be going against Sidibe, Moyer, Dolezaj, Hughes, Washington and Buddy. Not a collection of 5 star studs but a very solid and experienced group. Certainly much better than walk ons and the walking wounded.

Practices should be very competitive next year. It’s highly underrated.
Battle just might come back. He may not go high enough vs next year potential for him. He loves it here He loves his guts. He knows if he returns he’s playing with a stacked deck. The Battle family appears to be classy and value education. He’s a great student obviously serious about it His return is absolutely feasible.

Just imagine the possibilities

Battle just might come back. He may not go high enough vs next year potential for him. He loves it here He loves his guts. He knows if he returns he’s playing with a stacked deck. The Battle family appears to be classy and value education. He’s a great student obviously serious about it His return is absolutely feasible.

Just imagine the possibilities
Guts should be guys above. Damn spellcheck. It’s killing me

I also think it was good to have a season where competitiveness and leadership had to carry us leading into a season where we should out-gun most of our opponents. It's a good combination. Kind of like the Alamo defenders surviving and then joining Sam Houston's army.

Agree completely next year could be special and there is great new talent coming in...expectations should be measured as more often than not freshmen play like freshmen...some exciting highs and plenty of learning moments. It will be interesting to see how quickly they pick up zone concepts and find their roles in the structure. It will be fun to watch thats for sure.

It will also be nice to have a core nucleus returning that has had success, instead of having to start over with a bunch of unproven commodities.

Next year could be really special.
I mentioned in another post. I think the talent returning with Hughes and the freshmen means Top Ten next year.

I also think it was good to have a season where competitiveness and leadership had to carry us leading into a season where we should out-gun most of our opponents. It's a good combination. Kind of like the Alamo defenders surviving and then joining Sam Houston's army.

Love the comparison. One can hope Battle and fam value his degree, and he values the team bonds and a legit shot at leading the squad to the 'ship next year. He is good enough that he will get drafted regardless so we can hope!!

Agree completely next year could be special and there is great new talent coming in...expectations should be measured as more often than not freshmen play like freshmen...some exciting highs and plenty of learning moments. It will be interesting to see how quickly they pick up zone concepts and find their roles in the structure. It will be fun to watch thats for sure.

The amazing thing about this year's team is that, once Geno left, we had three guys who had played college basketball before this year and two of them (Chukwu and Howard) had not played alot of it and were coming off injuries. The third, (Battle) was going from the #4 option to the #1 option. Yet we won 23 games and got to the Sweet 16.

Last edited:
I mentioned in another post. I think the talent returning with Hughes and the freshmen means Top Ten next year.
I think if everyone comes back then we will be preseason top ten or top fifteen. If Battle leaves, then we should still be preseason top 25.

If we get everyone back, we are top 3 if not 2 cause Duke will be 1 even though next year we will have the horses to beat them. We would have 4 capable guards, Bazely and Brisset with Marek playing backup and seeing minutes, then Sidibe and Chukwu both playing well. Only thing scares me is Jimmy is awesome with underrated guys but when we are really talented we tend to have great seasons and kicked out of tournament quickly. Let’s hope next year is different.

I believe only women, children and a couple of slaves were spared. They made theei way to Sam Houston who then retreated. Houston ‘s Army wasn’t big enough to tackle the Mexicans.

The starters on this 2017-18 team didn't need competitive practices to get better. They needed ice packs and rest. Practices benefit the bench players.

The starters on this 2017-18 team didn't need competitive practices to get better. They needed ice packs and rest. Practices benefit the bench players.
Boeheim specifically said before that 7 day layoff between Pitt and BC back in January that this team, of any team he's ever coached, needed practice reps to improve.

Boeheim specifically said before that 7 day layoff between Pitt and BC back in January that this team, of any team he's ever coached, needed practice reps to improve.
Maybe so, if you have the odd 7 day layoff, once or twice in the campaign.

When you have 3 guys playing 40 minutes/game, games every 3 days, centers with sore knees, and travel, you may need practice reps, and practicalities intervene.

The competition for PT is going to be insane. The biggest challenge for JB next year will be keeping guys from getting unhappy with bench time, imo.

The competition for PT is going to be insane. The biggest challenge for JB next year will be keeping guys from getting unhappy with bench time, imo.
And this is my biggest fear for next year... JB does not make any effort to keep bench guys happy or build a rotation. He only subs on an as needed basis not as a part of a plan. So while have all of this vaunted depth by January we will be down to a 7 man rotation because the other dudes are deemed “not ready”

I believe only women, children and a couple of slaves were spared. They made theei way to Sam Houston who then retreated. Houston ‘s Army wasn’t big enough to tackle the Mexicans.

Except at San Jacinto, where Houston had 910 men, about 5 times the garrison at the Alamo and only slightly less than Santa Ana's 1,360.
Battle of San Jacinto - Wikipedia

upload_2018-3-25_14-0-54.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-25_14-0-30.png
    upload_2018-3-25_14-0-30.png
    341 KB · Views: 8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics