A Bills fan view of the hire after 8 hours or so | Syracusefan.com

A Bills fan view of the hire after 8 hours or so

OrangeFoo

All American
First off, I've been a Bills fan since living in Buffalo in the early 80s and a Syracuse fan since before the Marvin Graves days I'm not sure exactly when in the late 80s I started becoming a Cuse fan but it was around then.

Secondly it is quite interesting to me that the deal terms have not been announced yet... I get it that negotiating takes a while but something is up that it is taking this long.

When I first heard about the hire I was pretty down on it from a Bills perspective. My biggest concern is that outside of the last month or so of this season everytime the pressure has been on Marrone goes into the fetal position and makes the safest most conservative call and most often wrong call. Throughout his four years in charge, Marrone showed an incredible lack of feel for coaching, going aggressive when he should have gone conservative and vice-versa. This is the same exact problem Chan Gailey, former coach of the Bills had. To give Marrone credit he seems to have turned it around the last month or so but I'm not sure which is the real Marrone.. the robot one or the one who actually has good instincts.

I still think coaching feel is a huge question but I am talking myself into his hire for one main reason, how tough and hard hitting our team has become this year on both sides of the ball. The Bills biggest problem in my opinion is that they are as soft as charmin... this was a problem Syracuse used to have but Marrone turned it around and we are one of the toughest teams out there.

Another checkmark in Marrone's favor is that the offense he runs is exactly what I want the Bills to run. He just better not draft Nassib... not because Nassib is not capable ( I don't think he is) but because it would put too much pressure on both Marrone and Nassib, kind of like a kid playing for his dad or a kid whose parent is his teacher. The question about his offense though is was it his or Hackett's? I suspect it was Marrone's so I'm ok and I can't wait to see CJ and Stevie Johnson play in it.

Outside of the coaching my biggest concern with Marrone is how well he will handle the stress of coaching an NFL team. Every year by the end of the year he looked like a dead man walking... an NFL team is harder and more stressful to coach than a college team. Not sure how he will handle it.

So am I in favor... yes but very cautiously slow. The upside is pretty high here.

You sound like more of a bills fan than an SU fan. Given the 30 year blacklist on SU kids, I don't see how you can be both. Neither team has exactly been at the top of the heap in their respective leagues for 20+ years, so it comes down to choosing your basic loyalty. I chose SU and am a STH.

It's not that I hate the Bills. I just have the same attitude towards the franchise that it has towards SU -- indifference, and disrespect. Some of this is evident in your post ... you seem to think that Marone and Nassib arn't good enough for a franchise that hasn't made the playoffs in more than a decade.

Maybe this is true, maybe not. All I know is that Iv'e been to 2 games in the past 2 decades, and I don't plan on coming back. Buffalo was absolutely terrible both times. My last image of the stadium was flames from the mounds of burning garbage the "fans" left in the parking lot after 10 minutes of football and 3 hours of drinking and brawling.

If Marone does wind up there, it'll be novel for the first year, and then (unless Wilson's release of the "reigns" was actually genuine) he'll start loosing. Buffalo insists on being an NFL farm team, oblivious to talent (especially from SU) and (with one recent exception) incapable of writing checks for skill players.

To me the question is not whether Marone will rescue Buffalo, but whether Buffal0's incompetent front office, perpetual loosing mentality and strangely pompous attitude will ruin a good young NFL coaching prospect ... not to mention the blow to an improving SU program caused by this interruption.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom