A bit OT: recent vintage phrases that annoy... | Syracusefan.com

A bit OT: recent vintage phrases that annoy...

njcuse

Scout Team
Sports commentators have come up with some phrases over recent years that have caught on, and I don't know why. One of these from basketball is, "Score the ball." Anyone else have some favorites? I have another from pro football, but it escapes at the moment.

Physicality drives me nuts and is used all over the place. Controls their own destiny is another

110%.
Athleticism.
Wanted it more.
Saying God cared about the outcome.
Well, if so and so didn't do this, team A would have lost.
SU beat Kansas because Kansas missed free throws.
Jay Bilas says "A"'. Rafftery then says Bilas alluded to "A". NO he didn't, he stated it.
You can't rebound out a zone.
Anything out of Chris Berman's mouth'

Using long/length to describe players, defenses, or entire teams, ie: "They are a long team. Their defense is so long on the back-end. SU has length at that position. JB recruits long players".
Huh?? :confused:

Some think it is cool to say "better then" vs "better than".

110%.
Athleticism.
Wanted it more.
Saying God cared about the outcome.
Well, if so and so didn't do this, team A would have lost.
SU beat Kansas because Kansas missed free throws.
Jay Bilas says "A"'. Rafftery then says Bilas alluded to "A". NO he didn't, he stated it.
You can't rebound out a zone.
Anything out of Chris Berman's mouth'
I'll give this double likes--------or should it be likes for violent dislike.

Sports commentators have come up with some phrases over recent years that have caught on, and I don't know why. One of these from basketball is, "Score the ball." Anyone else have some favorites? I have another from pro football, but it escapes at the moment.
"The kid is long"!" What happened to tall."Elbow shot is another chalk board phrase.Everything said regarding baseball is a cliché hat has been said countless times before especially if its any response to a question.There is no such thing as an original response in baseball.Doris Burke ia as annoying an announcer as there is in the game.She isn't alone for damn sure. I long for the Dick Vitale days and "diaper dandy ". specials BABY!!

"The kid is long"!" What happened to tall."Elbow shot is another chalk board phrase.Everything said regarding baseball is a cliché hat has been said countless times before especially if its any response to a question.There is no such thing as an original response in baseball.Doris Burke ia as annoying an announcer as there is in the game.She isn't alone for damn sure. I long for the Dick Vitale days and "diaper dandy ". specials BABY!!

Height and length are two different things. I actually have no problem with the phrase. Everytime I see Grant playing for us I am impressed with his length - his arms are like Mr. Fantastic.

Doris Burke ia as annoying an announcer as there is in the game.She isn't alone for damn sure. I long for the Dick Vitale days and "diaper dandy ". specials BABY!!

So...Doris Burke is annoying, but you long for Dick Vitale? Okay.....

"High Basketball IQ" and "sound fundamentals."

JUST SAY WHITE WE KNOW WHAT YOU'RE HINTING AT YOU RACISTS

The Digger standard, "pts. in the paint"

"That's a seven footer out there," - Leo Rautins anytime Andrea Bargnani hits a jumper or completes one of his pansy ass drives.

F Bargnani, and out of respect for his SU heritage, I will not say the same about Leo. But his broadcasting is awful.

"

"He can put the ball on the floor." I get what it means, but most guys just use it to fill the dead air. Jay Williams in particular.