A Call to Arms (or Linotype, Pens, Keyboards, Laser Printers, etc.) | Syracusefan.com

A Call to Arms (or Linotype, Pens, Keyboards, Laser Printers, etc.)

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Was reading a history of the Daily Orange. Good read, I recommend you check it out in it's entirety here).

Anyway, I found this section particularly interesting (it was written in 1978):

In 1954 the DO was the victim of an elaborate and well-executed prank. The Cornell Daily Sun made up a phony DO and distributed it at SU in the place of that day's DO. Dick Schapp, who now does sports for NBC-TV news in New York, recalled the incident: "It was a very elaborate thing. If we put as much work into that thing as our school work we'd all be Phi Beta Kappas." "We gave the linotypers a bottle of scotch and a deck of cards" not to print the regular DO, Schapp said. As insurance they brought along the wrestling team.

When the paper came out, Schapp and his Cornell Sun staff stayed to watch: "Everyone just figured it was another bad issue of the DO," he said. The lead stories were about the football team being suspended from the NCAA and drinking being allowed on campus." After 24 years, the DO has yet to repay the Cornell Daily Sun or its generosity.

Unacceptable.

On the 60th anniversary of this despicable act, I challenge the staff of the Daily Orange to right this wrong in the coming school year and return the favor.

Do it quickly, before the Cornell Sun ceases publishing hard copies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom